Grado Vixen
Apr 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #61 of 62
Reviving this thread, because I just got a pair of HF-2 vixened to v3 Cocobolo.
What I must say is that the SQ improvements are IMMENSE.

The muddleness of mid-bass and mids lessened. The bass itself, resonates close to the SQ of mid/hi-end speakers...providing improved quality and quantity that became astounding to my ears. Sound stage also transforms; it becomes much wider with depth and much more accurate spacing between instruments. Though I only listened to these for 1 day, from initial impressions, they are absolutely brilliant. I won't do any formal reviews however, since I don't think I listened to enough headphones and do not qualify as 'golden ears'. There really are very few pairs of Vixens around, and after a long and constant search for headphones that will finally satisfy me...I think I found them.

Not to mention, the comfort issue of HF-2 vanished. Beyer shells provide immense comfortability here.

I absolutely do not find, to my ears, them being overly bassy. In fact, they are much more accurate to what bass should be like.

Again, this is for HF-2s. I do not know, or claim to relate, my comments to any order models being Vixened. Nonetheless, Larry did a magnificent job with mine

**edit: After using them for a much longer period of time, the mudiness when comparing with other headphones still exist, but to less of an extent. It seems like the sound signature is still changing (surprisingly? Maybe they're still not fully burned in yet) , but there are days where they are much clearer, some days where they become more muddy (the nature of HF-2). This does round it up being a 'fun' sound though, and I definetly stop focusing on the micro details and enjoy what music as a whole is like.
Maybe I got used to them, but bass dosn't seem as strong as I originally wrote this. BUT, they are still, without a doubt, better bass than than pre-moded Vixen. Soundstage still remains much wider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back