Grado Vixen
Feb 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody have a pair of these? I just saw them on the headphile site and it perked my interest. I can imagine it having the grado sound, while adding just a touch of soundstage and the comfort of a beyer headphone. I may pull the trigger on a pair of these but was wondering if anyone had tried them first.

They can be found here. Before anyone asks, I did try and use the search engine
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 62
Hello. Interested in those too. Giving this thread a bump.
Kind of expensive compared to Grados but they are soooooooooooooo good looking! I hope the difference in sound is worth the price. I can't find anything else on these here, really surprised.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a person who is a real Grado fan would really enjoy these.

I'm not a huge Grado fan, but I will say that I'd sooner buy a pair of Vixens than a pair of RS-1's.

lol, there is something wrong with this comment..
smile_phones.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, there is something wrong with this comment..
smile_phones.gif

x2
biggrin.gif
!

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grado drivers in a closed back shell? seems like a baaaad idea.

I don't think they're closed:

Quote:

Their design is open back, with domed stealth stainless steel screens (proto shown below). Beyer's shell design is quite sturdy compared to stock Grado, and comfort is night and day. I think this is a marriage that has a chance to last :)

img343.jpg

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 62
If you love Grados, this is an upgrade. I know people bash on Darths but there is no denying that they sound much better than the stock 770 and are premium built to last cans. I would think that some Rs-2 or 1 drivers in that housing would be niiiiice.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 62
I am interested in a set of these too.
Almost got one a couple weeks ago, but went for a V4 instead.
And then I got yet another deep-cup Darth, too.
But, now, my interest is back -- I like all the Grados I now have or have had in the past, and the idea of one with that extra Beyer comfort is just so appealing.
Plus, I like Headphile's work -- it is good stuff.
Maybe a good review will push me over the edge.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 62
My memory may be flawed - but it seems to me that Larry only added the Vixen build variation to his site aprox 2 weeks ago, and build time is usually 8 weeks or more. You're going to have a wait to find peeps posting cogent reviews on them - and wasn't there just one Dealpage pair? Who would want to destroy a pair of RS-1 (or HP1000) to independently supply a pair of those drivers to be the first to have Vixens built from them? Particularly, when there is no supply of Vixens out among listeners. Volunteers? Time will tell. It could be interesting.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 62
Sorry, I sort of killed this months' budget after placing my last Cigar order prior to the imminent dumb industry-killing Fed. Tax increase on Cigars which takes effect 4/01/09, using the horrendous SCHIP excuse for future imposition of Socialized Medicine in the USA. Funny, when I was a kid - my parents paid for any Dr. visits/medical expenses I might have needed.......and, they could not possibly have been construed as "well-off". So, no experimental Headphone purchases for me, at this juncture. I like Larrys' work and have purchased several of his creations since 2005......Governmental actions have precluded my participation at this time. Damn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back