Grado Vixen
Mar 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would it be hard to change the cable and pads for a complete beginner? on the 325i's. and what kind of pads should I have if I don't want to change the sound too much? or, not add toooo much bass like those leatherpads that were mentioned. I don't want those yellow senn pads either, they're just hideous :p

This is mandatory reading for a grado modder.
For recabling you essentially just need a soldering iron. On the 325s you're somewhat restricted by the cups being aluminium, But it's no problem as long as the new cable isn't too much thicker than the stock one.
I'm content with the original bowls myself, so I haven't tried any other pads (except the GS1000 bowls, but that was no good).
The yellow senn pads seem to get the most appraisal around here, and if you don't like the colour, you can alway dye them.
tongue_smile.gif
…any colour you like.
Another guide for removing the cups

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #32 of 62
hmm, those were some good guides. thanks a lot!
sorry for being lazy and not searching. should really do that.

I just got this great idea of buying a pair of used RS1's instead, but it's the same procedure to change the cable?
and, would putting a velour cover on the pads change the sound in any way? I guess it would?
have anyone tried doing such?
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks!

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #33 of 62
I think I am going to take the hit and order a pair. For my set I will be using the Sr-225 that I currently own and sending them in. Actually I think I am going to make the purchase today
smily_headphones1.gif

I will post what I think when I receive them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:

decided to use some of his 325i drivers instead. just ordered, for everything its coming in at just under the price of a new RS-1, not too bad at all. I think the cost is more than justified for the had work and effort that would be put into these.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My memory may be flawed - but it seems to me that Larry only added the Vixen build variation to his site aprox 2 weeks ago, and build time is usually 8 weeks or more. You're going to have a wait to find peeps posting cogent reviews on them - and wasn't there just one Dealpage pair? Who would want to destroy a pair of RS-1 (or HP1000) to independently supply a pair of those drivers to be the first to have Vixens built from them? Particularly, when there is no supply of Vixens out among listeners. Volunteers? Time will tell. It could be interesting.

[size=small]
Well, Larry himself would. I could see him testing out new ideas himself before selling them to users.
smile_phones.gif
[/size]

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #35 of 62
Can't drivers be bought from Grado? or whom ever makes them, rather than canablising a pair of cans.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't drivers be bought from Grado? or whom ever makes them, rather than canablising a pair of cans.

Larry won't take the drivers by themselves. He uses the remains of the set for spare parts for other projects.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #37 of 62
The price charged by Headphile for a pair of Grado drivers is already LESS than the cost of buying the actual cans -- $195 for new 325i drivers -- tell me WHERE you can buy a *new* 325i for anywhere near that price? Only used ones, maybe.

If I decide to order Vixens, I will go for the included 325i drivers.
I have had (and still have) many pairs of Grados, and *I* liked the overall sound of the 325 and 325i more than my many pairs of RS-1 (old and new styles, both).

Sending in your own pair of Grado cans is just one of the options.

Also, peeps several times mention leather pads, when they are NOT even offered -- only the Beyer velour is offered.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #39 of 62
These look interesting, but the thing that gives me pause is that the modding/enclosure/padding etc. is the same for every single driver that you put into it. I don't see how you can say you've created a significant sonic improvement when the adjustments are the same for headphones with sounds as different as the 225, 325, RS-1/2, and GS1000...

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These look interesting, but the thing that gives me pause is that the modding/enclosure/padding etc. is the same for every single driver that you put into it. I don't see how you can say you've created a significant sonic improvement when the adjustments are the same for headphones with sounds as different as the 225, 325, RS-1/2, and GS1000...

That is why Headphile tells you to choose which driver you want in them!

If, in fact, there actually IS no differences in the internals (we don't know that for sure, actually), then you will hear the sound qualities of your favorite Grado driver, but in a more comfortable, sturdy mounting.

I think this is the *main intent* of the Vixen, according to Headphile -- not a "significant sonic improvement" as you said above -- which is not claimed to happen.

And note that Headphile also offers to mount non-Grado drivers in the Vixen, too -- the intent being the nicer-looking, more comfy and sturdy cans, but with your particular favorite sound signature, whatever it may be.

It will be interesting to read the first actual reviews of these new cans, and see what drivers each person selected, too. Then we will see if there are any SQ changes mentioned. Until then, it is just speculation.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #43 of 62
Larry has built/sold three pairs up to now - drivers have been 325i, RS-2, and RS-1. I doubt they went to Head-Fiers as I'd expect the owners would have posted their new 'phones on these pages.
He is currently working on a pair for me which are being built from a pair of HF-2.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry has built/sold three pairs up to now - drivers have been 325i, RS-2, and RS-1. I doubt they went to Head-Fiers as I'd expect the owners would have posted their new 'phones on these pages.
He is currently working on a pair for me which are being built from a pair of HF-2.

nice, I haven't tried the HF-2's though but I still would like to know what they are like. please keep me (us?) updated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back