Grado SR80i alternatives
Aug 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

New Head-Fier
Im considering a pair of Grado SR80i, which seems to have good reputations. Only thing that worries me, is the open headphone. I don't wish to disturb other people, i need something that's portable and has good isolation. something that can carry around and listen on the plane.

any good suggestions?
i was also looking at the audio technica ATH-M50, but that looks huge and not ideal for portability.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 9
If you can afford them, the sennheiser hd-2 1 ii has a very grado-like sound, and is a closed and extremely portable. check out the 80 portable headphones thread by joker for a good review on them. only downside is that they are $200.00.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 9
depends on what you mean by portable.. if you want to walk down the street with them on (why people do this is beyond me), then for 95% of the population I'd say no.

If you want to pull them out of a bag/backpack to listen to music at work/school/library/coffee shop while seated, then yes. They fold and coiled cord is great for laptop usb DAC use. In absolute terms, the bad-assed-ness of the sound you get for $100 is worth the added bulk over a similarly priced purpose-built portable headphones.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 9
JVC on ear with NC.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 9
KRK KNS 6400. It even sounds Grado-ish. Tight but recessed bass, liquid and clear midrange, and tame but detailed highs. And they're closed, extremely lightweight, and not "tiny" but fully portable wherever you go. Smaller/lighter than the M50. And only about $100 new.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 9
An airplane is probably the WORST place for a Grado phone, and most anything that sits on your ear.  For me the HD-25 II was fairly good at isolation, even tho' sitting on the ear, but on a plane, I can't imagine they will block out that level of noise.

Do you have to be full-size headphones? Have you considered ear-canal phones? For example, the Etymotic MC5 or HF5 are both great earphones and the isolation is extremely high. They are cleaner sounding than the SR-80i as well.  The Grados would be great for private listening at home, but too big and open for the public, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back