Grado SR80 Impressions thread!
Jun 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #511 of 538
  I'm thinking about picking up the sr80e in the nearish future. I've heard they work really well for rock, but how about music with a more acoustic focus? Folk/Folk Rock, Indie Singer/songwriter? And how is the soundstage? I've heard Grado's house sound includes very forward mids, but I'd like something fairly open with good stereo imaging. It doesn't have to sound like I'm sitting in an amphitheatre, but something significantly more open than my M50x would be nice. 

IMO the 80e’s sound great with acoustic music!  The soundstage isn’t super huge, but the sound is still pretty open and lively - more so than similarly priced closed ‘phones...  Vocals and guitars are front and center, but IMO, that gives the mix depth and intimacy at the same time...

80e's are my everyday work cans for editing.  I need to be able hear dialogue separated from other elements in a mix, and the Grado’s work great in this regard.  Even though I also have a pair of RS2e’s, the 80e’s still sound excellent!

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #512 of 538
IMO the 80e’s sound great with acoustic music!  The soundstage isn’t super huge, but the sound is still pretty open and lively - more so than similarly priced closed ‘phones...  Vocals and guitars are front and center, but IMO, that gives the mix depth and intimacy at the same time...

80e's are my everyday work cans for editing.  I need to be able hear dialogue separated from other elements in a mix, and the Grado’s work great in this regard.  Even though I also have a pair of RS2e’s, the 80e’s still sound excellent!

Thanks for the reply! I put in the order earlier today on crutchfield, so I should have them by Thursday. A lot of what I listen to falls into the categories I listed, so judging by your description I think I'll be very happy with them.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #513 of 538

I used to say that the SR80i sounded good for their price, now I say that the SR80e sound good regardless of their price, confused?, so am I, just kidding.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #514 of 538
I got my sr80e just a few days ago. So far I'm loving the sound, but I'm having considerable trouble with the fit and comfort. They aren't terribly comfortable for me to begin with, and after a while they can be downright painful. The foam doesn't bother me; it's the tips of my ears that get sore after less than an hour of wear sometimes. The sound also seems to change a little depending on how they rest on my ears. For any of you guys, do the headphones rest all the way against the side of your head, or do your ears push them out so that they sit at an angle? Also, do you think the L cushions would solve any comfort problems?

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #515 of 538
  I got my sr80e just a few days ago. So far I'm loving the sound, but I'm having considerable trouble with the fit and comfort. They aren't terribly comfortable for me to begin with, and after a while they can be downright painful. The foam doesn't bother me; it's the tips of my ears that get sore after less than an hour of wear sometimes. The sound also seems to change a little depending on how they rest on my ears. For any of you guys, do the headphones rest all the way against the side of your head, or do your ears push them out so that they sit at an angle? Also, do you think the L cushions would solve any comfort problems?

Unfortunately not everyone finds Grados comfortable...  You might like the L cushions better, as the drivers won’t rest on your ears.  You can bend the headband out a bit - (I haven’t tried it, but someone here can tell you how).... 

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #517 of 538

I have Grado ears, (small), and I find the stock comfies more cofortable than the L-cush.

However, soundwise, I prefer the L-cush with both the SR80i and e. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #519 of 538
  Interesting. How does the sound signature change with the L? 

Because the driver will sit further from your ears, you get a bigger soundstage, a bit more treble extension, and a slightly clearer sound overall.

You might also want to check out the flats, wich are available from TTVJ. They will give you a bit deeper bass, and slightly less treble than the L-cush, and the sound will not be quite as clear.

If like me, you wear glasses, the L-cush may not be as comfortable as the S-cush and the flats. I think that for the people who wear glasses, the flats are a great alternative to the s-cush,

That's one great thing about Grados, you can significantly change the way they sound, simply by swapping their earpads. It's relatively cheap, and if you don't like it, it's totally reversible.

I hope this helps.
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #520 of 538

Interesting. How does the sound signature change with the L? 

Because the driver will sit further from your ears, you get a bigger soundstage, a bit more treble extension, and a slightly clearer sound overall.

You might also want to check out the flats, wich are available from TTVJ. They will give you a bit deeper bass, and slightly less treble than the L-cush, and the sound will not be quite as clear.

If like me, you wear glasses, the L-cush may not be as comfortable as the S-cush and the flats. I think that for the people who wear glasses, the flats are a great alternative to the s-cush,

That's one great thing about Grados, you can significantly change the way they sound, simply by swapping their earpads. It's relatively cheap, and if you don't like it, it's totally reversible.

I hope this helps.
beerchug.gif

Thanks, I'll probably pick up the L-cush soonish 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #521 of 538
Got my pair of 80e's today, i'm loving the sound so much, but what is bothering me are some "grooves" i found on the foams, here some pictures to make you understand

http://i.imgur.com/Q0zT9ST.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8WuMi8N.jpg
i assume it's because the wire touches the foams when the headphones are in the package

http://i.imgur.com/HRPrvF4.jpg
here you can see the groove made by the L/R plastic pieces, that groove is on both sides.

Is it just me with a unlucky pair of 80's or they come all like this from the manufacturer? I can go with a replacement if this is not a common thing.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #522 of 538
  Got my pair of 80e's today, i'm loving the sound so much, but what is bothering me are some "grooves" i found on the foams, here some pictures to make you understand

http://i.imgur.com/Q0zT9ST.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8WuMi8N.jpg
i assume it's because the wire touches the foams when the headphones are in the package

http://i.imgur.com/HRPrvF4.jpg
here you can see the groove made by the L/R plastic pieces, that groove is on both sides.

Is it just me with a unlucky pair of 80's or they come all like this from the manufacturer? I can go with a replacement if this is not a common thing.

Congratulations on the 80.
The other day I received my PS-1000e and sent them back due to the L/cable being crushed caused by poor packaging. 
Also the R/ear cup had 2 dimples/blemishes in the chrome and I wasn't excepting either issue. I'm just waiting for Grado to reply.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #523 of 538
I'm sorry to hear you too are having troubles with grado's, joseph. Yours are a too much more expensive hp's than mine and i agree with you sending them back. Grado's packages are very poor and i really think they should do something with that.

Anyway, i see you own a pair of 80's from your signature, do they have these dimples near the L/R? http://i.imgur.com/HRPrvF4.jpg Thery are very deep and i don't think they will disappear anytime soon. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #524 of 538
  I'm sorry to hear you too are having troubles with grado's, joseph. Yours are a too much more expensive hp's than mine and i agree with you sending them back. Grado's packages are very poor and i really think they should do something with that.

Anyway, i see you own a pair of 80's from your signature, do they have these dimples near the L/R? http://i.imgur.com/HRPrvF4.jpg Thery are very deep and i don't think they will disappear anytime soon. 

Thank you, but I'm sue everything will work out fine.
No, my 80i were fine. It looks like the corners of your rod blocks (the pieces that show L/R) marked you cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back