Grado SR60i
Sep 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

voyaging

New Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of Bose around-ear (TriPort or something?) headphones that I'm pretty sure were quite overpriced (I didn't buy them, don't worry). They were about $125.

Would getting the Grado SR60i's be an upgrade?

Also, if I do buy them, would I need a DAC or amp or any extra equipment? I currently have an HT|STRIKER 7.1 sound card and will be using the headphones solely with my PC.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 5
They'd be an enormous upgrade in terms of sound quality.  But then, even the KSC75 would accomplish that.  Bose can't really compete sonically with any serious headphones.  Probably not an upgrade in comfort, though.  They're not *uncomfortable*, but I've always found Bose 'phones to excel in that area (if nowhere else).  

You won't need a DAC or headphone amp to use it with your computer.  They'll run fine out of portables, even. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
They'd be an enormous upgrade in terms of sound quality.  But then, even the KSC75 would accomplish that.  Bose can't really compete sonically with any serious headphones.  Probably not an upgrade in comfort, though.  They're not *uncomfortable*, but I've always found Bose 'phones to excel in that area (if nowhere else).  

You won't need a DAC or headphone amp to use it with your computer.  They'll run fine out of portables, even. 

Yeah I admit the Bose are extremely comfortable, and I'd definitely say they sound decent, but having heard a friend's SR60's I'm pretty confident they're significantly better.

Would a DAC or amp significantly improve the sound quality at all? Keep in mind I have a quite high-end sound card.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Yeah I admit the Bose are extremely comfortable, and I'd definitely say they sound decent, but having heard a friend's SR60's I'm pretty confident they're significantly better.

Would a DAC or amp significantly improve the sound quality at all? Keep in mind I have a quite high-end sound card.

If you're happy with your sound card, I doubt you'd be able to hear the difference between it and an outboard DAC.  You *might* hear a difference with a headphone amp, but again, given that they're Grados, I doubt anything you'd get would make a real difference.  

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
If you're happy with your sound card, I doubt you'd be able to hear the difference between it and an outboard DAC.  You *might* hear a difference with a headphone amp, but again, given that they're Grados, I doubt anything you'd get would make a real difference.

Ok, thanks for all the help, I'm off to order my new pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back