Grado sr60 vs. sr225
Oct 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 16
I've owned both. 225i was nice, but super piercing. I had it for about 2 weeks, then it went back. but I would never leave a Grado stock anyway. Buy an Sr60i (great modding can) and go to town on it! Sr 60i is much more fun, and while it is less resolving than 225i, it's mostly just because of the sr60i's weaker cable. Throw a cable on 60 and it will sound more revealing than 225i and retain the Sr60i (FUN) / intimate signature.

Then laugh at the improvements!Mine with a Blue Dragon recable ^^.

Mods for these cans basically consist of poking 2-4 holes in the damping vent, Putting a little ball of dynamat on the magnet, and getting woody cups! (You'll be amazed at the cups!, There's a reason Grado uses wood in all their high end offerings. And lastly, I found a cable to greatly improve their detail. (I've benchmarked against RS-1 on Grace M 903 which had a silver recable and was custom modded by Grado and gifted to a dealer I know here in Utah. They were almost 100% identical after I decked mine out. The RS1's were running a silver prototype Kimber cable. Mine was A blue Dragon v3.

So I've never heard two cans so almost perfectly close (sounding) I was hard pressed to tell the difference.... everthing was identical except maybe 1-1.5 db in the bass more on my cans. Cocolobolo actually sounded better than the Mahogany imo. (It's a more linear wood).

Bottom line - Buy an sr 60 and go to town on it for something that turns heads and is almost completely cusomizable! Chances are you'll be happy where you end up.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Nice headphones! Not to thread jack, but I liked the pics, I've never heard of the dynamat of the driver mod do you have a link to it somewhere? Also are those the HD414 pads or the L-Cush?

Quote:
I've owned both. 225i was nice, but super piercing. I had it for about 2 weeks, then it went back. but I would never leave a Grado stock anyway. Buy an Sr60i (great modding can) and go to town on it! Sr 60i is much more fun, and while it is less resolving than 225i, it's mostly just because of the sr60i's weaker cable. Throw a cable on 60 and it will sound more revealing than 225i and retain the Sr60i (FUN) / intimate signature.

Then laugh at the improvements!Mine with a Blue Dragon recable ^^.

Mods for these cans basically consist of poking 2-4 holes in the damping vent, Putting a little ball of dynamat on the magnet, and getting woody cups! (You'll be amazed at the cups!, There's a reason Grado uses wood in all their high end offerings. And lastly, I found a cable to greatly improve their detail. (I've benchmarked against RS-1 on Grace M 903 which had a silver recable and was custom modded by Grado and gifted to a dealer I know here in Utah. They were almost 100% identical after I decked mine out. The RS1's were running a silver prototype Kimber cable. Mine was A blue Dragon v3.

So I've never heard two cans so almost perfectly close (sounding) I was hard pressed to tell the difference.... everthing was identical except maybe 1-1.5 db in the bass more on my cans. Cocolobolo actually sounded better than the Mahogany imo. (It's a more linear wood).

Bottom line - Buy an sr 60 and go to town on it for something that turns heads and is almost completely cusomizable! Chances are you'll be happy where you end up.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Nice headphones! Not to thread jack, but I liked the pics, I've never heard of the dynamat of the driver mod do you have a link to it somewhere? Also are those the HD414 pads or the L-Cush?

btw, Thanx for noticing! =D

Oh, yes. Read "Sr 60i mod II" and "Sr 60 mod" thread... That's like 10,000 posts though and like 1600 pages.......And at times it can be pretty slow...Sooo I just watered it down to what all the modding and possibilities we're tried. These are the most widespread 'best' results, and boy do they deliver! Until I heard a decked RS-1 I had no idea that I was voicing mine so similarly to it!

MAKE. SURE. TO. GET. BOWL. PADS>

^ I thought this might get my point across.
tongue.gif

I have Jumbos, Bowls, and Flats for my Grados.. As these are my 'glam' portable can I use Jumbos when I go to the theater! Trolololol! They always get lots of looks,

Bowls are best... The least comfortable, but it's almost unanimously believed they are the best sounding. I like Jumbos a lot too and actually despise strongly dislike the Flatts. Havn't used those since I got the headphone.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 16
I've had (and extensively heard) both stock. I preferred the SR225i's much more. They were much clearer, and had that top-end sparkle that made everything much more exciting (I believe this is what Hennyo referred to as "piercing", so obviously its up to your tastes). The sound of the SR60i sounded flat and muddied, in comparison. 

I agree with Hennyo, though in that you should mod your 60's. With a better cable, upgraded pads and wooden cups, they do improve dramatically. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
I've had (and extensively heard) both stock. I preferred the SR225i's much more. They were much clearer, and had that top-end sparkle that made everything much more exciting (I believe this is what Hennyo referred to as "piercing", so obviously its up to your tastes). The sound of the SR60i sounded flat and muddied, in comparison. 

I agree with Hennyo, though in that you should mod your 60's. With a better cable, upgraded pads and wooden cups, they do improve dramatically. 

Hey Qh! Nice to see you!

Well, stock to stock, 225i's are 'superior' with that sparkly detail on top, I just couldn't listen to them for more than a few (as in 20 or less) minutes. After having them and using them almost exclusively for a couple weeks.

I feel Sr 60i was superior if they both had bowl pads. I feel comparing the stock 225i to 60i is unfair because the 60i's don't stock have bowls. But if both have bowls.. They're only 15$. ; )

Besides, the modded Grados are a blast! (I foget Qh, did you recable yours?!) The recable made a huge difference. (sorry for using the cliche word 'huge')

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 16
I've got my 225i's stock (aside from a headband swap), and they are fantastic. Pairing them with a good amp helps even out some of the brightness if you're not a fan. The 60's even with bowl pads never had the same depth, or detail... 

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Basically i just wanna know how much better the 225s are than the 60s compared to the price difference? Thanks guys!

Heya,

I picked up the SR60i and the SR325i to see the top and bottom of the prestige series. Long story short, I felt like the SR60i simply had the highest value and that the SR325i was not worth the additional $220. The sound was way too similar. The SR325i was only slightly, and I mean miniscule, slightly more refined in the treble and mids, as in a hint of less congestion. It really just sort of drove the idea home that the base model Grado is actually an impressive headphone since the higher up Grados really are not that much different from it. I wouldn't even bother with the 80, 125, 225 or 325. I would suggest the SR60i with Lcush pads, and if you want to climb the ladder, leave the prestige series all together and move on to the higher end Grados where the sound changes. Otherwise,  you're just paying for a number it seems.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Hey Qh! Nice to see you!

Well, stock to stock, 225i's are 'superior' with that sparkly detail on top, I just couldn't listen to them for more than a few (as in 20 or less) minutes. After having them and using them almost exclusively for a couple weeks.

I feel Sr 60i was superior if they both had bowl pads. I feel comparing the stock 225i to 60i is unfair because the 60i's don't stock have bowls. But if both have bowls.. They're only 15$. ; )

Besides, the modded Grados are a blast! (I foget Qh, did you recable yours?!) The recable made a huge difference. (sorry for using the cliche word 'huge') 

Yeah, I'd have to admit that my comparison of the 225 vs 60s was using the stock pads for both. The L-cush pads do make a difference. Although, I have to admit this -- even after I put the SR60i in the wood housing (with stock cable), I still preferred the stock SR225 because there was so much more treble energy (which is generally my preference). Even switching pads (L-cush on woodied SR60i and S-cush on stock SR225i), I still preferred the 225s. 

I wasn't until I recabled the SR60i to a silver cable that they really surpassed the SR225i to me. I echo your thoughts that the cable makes a huge difference, in my experience. 

As of now, I've put both in wooden housing and silver cable -- and they both sounded very similar. 

To the OP, instead of "upgrading" to an SR225i with another $200, I'd personally opt to commission Marty from Martin's Custom Audio to upgrade your SR60's instead. You'll be much happier with the result, IMO. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I wasn't until I recabled the SR60i to a silver cable that they really surpassed the SR225i to me. I echo your thoughts that the cable makes a huge difference, in my experience. 

YUUUP.

RS-2's are goin back in the box and to someone else right now for that very reason

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Yeah, I'd have to admit that my comparison of the 225 vs 60s was using the stock pads for both. The L-cush pads do make a difference. Although, I have to admit this -- even after I put the SR60i in the wood housing (with stock cable), I still preferred the stock SR225 because there was so much more treble energy (which is generally my preference). Even switching pads (L-cush on woodied SR60i and S-cush on stock SR225i), I still preferred the 225s. 

As of now, I've put both in wooden housing and silver cable -- and they both sounded very similar. 

To the OP, instead of "upgrading" to an SR225i with another $200, I'd personally opt to commission Marty from Martin's Custom Audio to upgrade your SR60's instead. You'll be much happier with the result, IMO. 

^^ I tend to lean towards a more mid-centric sound. ;/ The music may jam in the highs and lows, but it lives in the mids.

Hmm.. You guys make me wish I put a silver cable on my Grados. >.< Ahh well. The only reason I didn't was because I like the fun sound, yet atriculate (intimate) and elegant. I was afraid silver would brighten them up! (Godforbid) for me!

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 16
WOW!!!... thanks for all the insight guys. feel like a mod expert now XD. I'm pretty sold on the 60's as of now. really didn't wanna spend another $200 on headphones after my beyers. Thanks again guys.

Oct 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 16
SO i got my 60's and......... I LOVE THEM (You guys rock for swaying my decision!)!!!! still have yet to mod them but i did get the L-cush, also got the 414 pads with i think are more comfortable but i think they dampen the sound a bit. i was wondering if the G-cush pads from the 325's will fit the 60's? is this a good move or should i go in a diff direction entirely? I'm a fan of Around-ear vs On ear but the grado's are, shockingly to my liking, very comfortable. any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
SO i got my 60's and......... I LOVE THEM (You guys rock for swaying my decision!)!!!! still have yet to mod them but i did get the L-cush, also got the 414 pads with i think are more comfortable but i think they dampen the sound a bit. i was wondering if the G-cush pads from the 325's will fit the 60's? is this a good move or should i go in a diff direction entirely? I'm a fan of Around-ear vs On ear but the grado's are, shockingly to my liking, very comfortable. any suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

Heya,

I would not put Gcush on them, or any prestige series Grados. I did that to my SR60's and SR325's and the Gcush made them sound like they lacked bass completely, the treble got super hot and tizzy, and in return gained greater comfort and a bigger sound stage, but the audio was totally killed in my ears, so I don't recommend $45 Gcush at this point anymore for any of them. The Lcush on the other hand sound excellent. I liked them way more than stock SR60, the Lcush added bass and impact and improved all the sound completely. The flat things that come stock on the SR60 are a crime against audio.

Very best,

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Heya,

I picked up the SR60i and the SR325i to see the top and bottom of the prestige series. Long story short, I felt like the SR60i simply had the highest value and that the SR325i was not worth the additional $220. The sound was way too similar. The SR325i was only slightly, and I mean miniscule, slightly more refined in the treble and mids, as in a hint of less congestion. It really just sort of drove the idea home that the base model Grado is actually an impressive headphone since the higher up Grados really are not that much different from it. I wouldn't even bother with the 80, 125, 225 or 325. I would suggest the SR60i with Lcush pads, and if you want to climb the ladder, leave the prestige series all together and move on to the higher end Grados where the sound changes. Otherwise,  you're just paying for a number it seems.

Very best,

I agree. I spent a good half hour demoing the prestige line in a store listening to floyd and hendrix from a rather expensive solid state amp. My impression was that there simply was not enough of a noticeable difference between the models to justify the price difference. Although they were all fantastic in my books! I thought the sr80i was the best value for performance to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back