Grado SR60 vs AKG K701
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #61 of 119
The SR-60's are great as budget headphones. If you have no amp it works with any source. The AKG's have a much better soundstage and need a good amp. I listened to them recently and was impressed with the detail and soundstage.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #62 of 119
Grado SR60 VS AKG K701 Final Verdict
With my about 2 years experience in the headfi world and
With my setup: About one-year old Grado SR60, 300hr-burn in AKG K701, PA2V2 porta amp, Sony Discman, Philips CD Player.

These are some of my conclusions.
You should get a Grado SR60...
1. If you like rock music most times.
2. If you like expressive vocals.
3. If you like unamped headphone.
4. If you have a budget of $80 (for a new headphone).

You should get an AKG K701...
1. If you like "smooth-sounding" headphone for long hours sessions.
2. If you like to hear almost all musical instruments in a song.
3. If you like more expressive and musical vocals from the singers' unique voice.
4. If you like to hear the back-up singers sing with the main singers.
5. If you have a desktop amp and a CD player.
6. If you have a budget of around $600(for a new headphone & a new desktop amp).
7. If you like "burning" headphones for a longer period of time.

Grado SR60(porta amped/unamped) VS AKG K701(porta amped/unamped)
My Winner: AKG K701

P.S. I am saving for my very first desktop amp. Please watch out for my next review about using a desktop amp with my two favorite headphones.
Thank you guys for reading with me.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #63 of 119
I thought I have damaged the drivers of my K701 during burning process...
I always burn in my K701 for 10 hours at nightime with my porta discman playing repeatedly. Then in the morning I listened with the new sounds got during the burning. This morning I found out that the bass was sort of cracking and hissing. I was a bit surprised. But I use the PA2V2 amp. And I think that its battery operated. I placed a rechargeable battery for a week already. It seems that the battery have been drained already I assume. Thanks to the porta amp. It's battery need to be recharged/replace new batteries. I changed a new set of batteries. The good sound of K701 came back. And I think PA2V2 sounds better with new batteries.

One solution when a strange sound from a headphones plugged into a porta amp is...
Change new batteries/Recharge the batteries.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #64 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are completely different sounding headphones at very different price points, both requiring different power and sources demands from their back up gear. And your gear is still woefully inadequate for the 701.

I find the concept of this comparison pointless.

you're being a hypocrite. DUCY?

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #66 of 119
I have k701 and I don't think they are suitable for long hour listening.. Not as bright as grado but still on a bright side I think. I had grado sr60 before and I could not listen for more than 30 minutes. I got mean headache.. Also, in my opinion k701 are in different class than the sr60.. Kinda like accord vs m3.. After I listened to k701, I sold my sr60... No regret. To me k701 sound huge compare to sr60.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #67 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me k701 sound huge compare to sr60.

Based on my current experiments between this two headphones,
the sound quality of SR60 is not very far from an AKG K701 that is just porta amped. That's why I can agree to the two statements below:
1. The Grado SR60 is the entry way to the audiophile world.
2. The Grado SR60 is the best bang for the money.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #68 of 119
I love the K-701. It's just a really classy phone for an amazingly reasonable price. But, if I were going unamped, I'd stick with the SR60. In fact, because I often do go unamped (I'm not a fan of portable amps), I sold my K-701 and have repurchased a pair of SR60s.

That said, in the spirit of fairness and candor, I should put a couple of cards on the table.

1. Like a lot of SR60 owners, I mod. Right out of the box, I Q-modded the pads to open up the soundstage. They're clearer without the fabric barrier of the comfies.

2. I opened up the backs and punched out the little holes covered over with fabric. This provided even more bass.

3. While the backs were open, I taped over the magnet plate with electrical tape. It's not as good as the sticky, goopy stuff, but it does something.

4. Slapping the backs back on, I took the pads off and removed the screen in the front, which eliminated another barrier between the driver and my ears. This removes a protective screen but I like the sound. There's more sparkle with the fabric gone.

One of the benefits of using the SR60 over the K-701, the HD800, the GS/PS1000 and others, is the lower profile. These are knockaround headphones that go where you go. Despite the retro Grado look, these are so diminutive that they don't become as big a fashion faux pas as the helmet headsets of the big boys. Since I'm just listening to the driver, anyway, I don't find the additional apparatus all that useful.

In fact, if you're going to be out and about, the K-701s will make you look like a space cadet. There's something sporty about the SR60's headhugging profile - even more so than the HF2. Lots of people have fled the K-701 after using it with the wrong music and thinking they could get the most out of it unamped. What made the difference for me was, ironically, the way they made me look. I can remember rushing into a small TV studio with them on and getting these freaked-out looks, to which I replied, "Will you validate parking for my space ship?" I've never gotten such looks with the SR60s.

5. The spaciousness of the K-701 can be duplicated with an SR-60, provided you slap on a $45 G-Cush pad. You'll immediately feel a loss of bass, which is what people complain of with the K-701. Here as there, you can fix that with a decent amp, especially one with bass boost. Of course, much of the problem will center on the music. Both cans work better with acoustical music, which has a mellow quality to it and where neither the high-highs or low-lows are so emphasized that you feel naked without bass boost or attacked by cymbal nazis.

But for the best of both worlds, unamped, the SR60 has it all over the K-701. Even if you don't punch out the back holes, tape up the magnet plate, remove the front grill cloth or Q-mod the comfies, the SR60 has better bass and a mellower presentation that is simply more flexible than you'll get with the K-701. Don't get me wrong; I love the K-701 and will defend it against detractors. I just think the SR60 is an amazingly unsung little hero, one whose full potential can be easily realized with some free-and-easy mods.

With the above mods, the SR60 has all the sparkle of the K-701, and all the bass it lacks unamped. It doesn't have the spaciousness of the K-701, but with the G-Cush pads, you can get there - for better or worse. Running my SR60s through an M^3 with STEPs and variable bass boost, I can tell you the bass potential of these cans is tremendous. I'd put an amped SR60, with jumbo pads and an amp, up against the K-701 with an amp. Both make very sweet music.

I think the differences between these headphones are overblown. The K-701 is basically a GS1000 without an air chamber designed to grab up as much bass as possible. Both phones operate on the principle that if you increase the ear/driver distance and widen the cushion to a circumaural fit, you'll get spaciousness with a vengeance. You'll also get stuck buying an amp to make up for all the bass you'll need to balance the presentation, which will sound hollow without it. If you turn an SR60 into a woodless GS1000 (by using the jumbo cushions), you'll have a K-701.

Make your judgments if you must.

Having sold off my GS1000 to a flipper, I'm contented with my SR60 and (get ready to gasp) like it better than my old HD650, my old K-701 and my old RS-1. The only expensive Grado I still own is the HF-2, which is too good to give up. But with the Q-mod, the removal of the front and rear filter cloth and a minimal damping of the magnet plate, I much prefer to run around with these SR60s. They're easy to drive. They're sparkly and bassy. They're lightweight, cutting down on ear fatigue. They're also low-profile enough to keep staring eyes off any space helmet. I like them better.

The only difference I'd try is the flats from Todd.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #69 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the differences between these headphones are overblown. The K-701 is basically a GS1000 without an air chamber designed to grab up as much bass as possible. Both phones operate on the principle that if you increase the ear/driver distance and widen the cushion to a circumaural fit, you'll get spaciousness with a vengeance. You'll also get stuck buying an amp to make up for all the bass you'll need to balance the presentation, which will sound hollow without it. If you turn an SR60 into a woodless GS1000 (by using the jumbo cushions), you'll have a K-701.

Good post. This is definitely a key thing that needs to be reiterated more around here. The ear-driver distance has more to do with the sound than most people probably think. When I had the AD700's, I would always be messing with them during the first few minutes I had them on my head because the fit would totally determine the sound I got from them.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #70 of 119
Thanks. You're the one who first convinced me to go back to the issue of ear/driver distance - and how right you were! Every driver has a sweet spot representing the most balanced presentation. If you increase the ear/driver distance to tweak the HF and sound stage, you do so at a cost. This has to made up somewhere else, either through bass boost or some other trick for counteracting the bass loss. I'd been going in this other direction until I'd read one of your posts. I'm glad I did. I find I prefer the sweet spot.

I've just glued in narrow strips of synthetic batting to go around the inside corners of my plastic cups, along with little flat circles to damp the blowback from the button in the center. The presentation is warm, mellow, dynamic and detailed without being piercing. I'm getting this straight off an unamped iPod. I'm throwing a variety of styles against it, looking for the weak spots. So far, I'd say the ups far exceed the downs by an overwhelming margin.

Journey's Departure sounds a little dark but it has to be the recording because I'm getting completely different results from everything from the Bee Gees and Steely Dan to System of a Down and The Posies. Cheap Trick sounds better. The Eagles' old stuff sounds stellar. The Doors sound tubey. Flight of the Conchords is still crisp. So is blink 182. Earth Wind and Fire is total freaking heaven. Tom Petty sounds just right. Queen rocks. Avenged Sevenfold is clear, without a touch of sibilance. Dizzy Gillespie's Groovin' High could sound better but it's an old recording. Nirvana's Rape Me has enough energy to tickle my ears with bare guitar chords but without overwhelming me in siss-siss-siss when the full band comes in. American Hi-Fi's Flavor of the Weak hurts a little but I think it's the recording, which has a touch of sibilance. The Sunshine Band's Rock Your Baby, on the other hand, lacks a bit of treble energy as its back beat hits you straight between the eyes, which I think also traces back to the recording. U2's Trip Through Your Wires certainly sounds a lot more open. Billy Joel's Still Rock and Roll to Me sounds just right. The bass on The Cars' Lust for Kicks is also so bass heavy it feels like I'm getting hit with a baseball bat where My Chemical Romance's Famous Last Words sounds just right - dynamic, pounding and clear, even for a recording with that much saturation. Kiss's I Was Made for Lovin' You sounds sharp. So does Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train. Dizzy Gillespie's Be-Bop sounds perfect, full-bodied, detailed, energetic and clear as a bell. By contrast, the Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive sounds a little warm, which I attribute to the recording style of the time. Ironically, Devo's Snowball sounds right, as does Weezer's Island in the Sun, which is a tribute as Weezer is hard to get right. When you can play a track from Weezer, Bread and The Who - and they all sound as they should - something must be going right.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #73 of 119
Observations:
Though I declare K701 as my winner but I keep on coming back to my Grado SR60. In fact, I keep my K701 back to its box. I still like the simple and fulfilling SR60. This is what I observe between the two open headphones. The SR60 seems to have lots, lots of air pair passing in and out of the headphone, making seems effortless sound-making performance. K701, on the other hand, seems there is no air that comes in and out, that there seems a block on the headphone making no air to pass through. K701 doesn't show effortless performance like my SR60. The word "hard to drive" is coming to my mind. K701 is a like a huge rock being pushed by a small boy. SR60 is just like a pebble thrown by a giant man.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #75 of 119
AKG K701 experiment continues...

I been questing for sound power from this beast headphone. Just today I put out an unused Aiwa CD Player with big headphone out. I plugged the K701. Wow! a new K701 sound comes out to my ears. The sound is colored like my Grado SR60. Why? I use the equalizer plus Bass Boost. I like the sound. I may like it because its not flat. The equalizer gave body to the music. Plus I assume the headphone out is better than my porta amp PA2V2. I think this is what we called, K701 needs real current power not battery powered amp.

You know guys, I thought of selling my K701 because it doesn't serve me well like my SR60. But just this day, I hold it! I think if we want really to become a certified headfier, we should trust our headphone, bring out the potentials in it by experimenting anything. I think I done my first experiment. And I'm happy and satisfied that I have a headfi.org to lean on.

Headfi opened me to headphone world with a little roller coaster ride because of this K701. I have no regrets. Audio world is like life, too. And that's why I titled this: "K701 the experiment continues...

Plus headfi world is a serious world.

Just at this time I felt that I am now a real headfier.

P.S. Below are some pics of my simple experiment.

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture4850-img-5457.jpg

I never thought that the headphone out of Aiwa CD player is good and even better than my PA2V2 porta amp.

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture4849-img-5456.jpg

The sound equalizer of the CD player gave body to music. It added color which I like. K701 is not boring anymore.

P.S.2. I'm so happy plus because aside from that I discovered a new sound from K701. I also able to reuse again a sleeping AIWA CD Player from our room. I assume I made bright moments for the sake of audio.

Thank you guys for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back