Grado SR60 vs AKG K701
Jan 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #31 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this review just proves HOW GREAT of a value the SR-60s are! A great headphone REGARDLESS of price and is almost always my first recommendation to people who want something a little more...

See, I was afraid this review would be misleading. The SR60's are the best bang-for-your-buck headphones you can find, but it's not really fair to compare them to one of the most demanding cans out there. The K701's are not meant to be run from a $50 portable amp, much less a portable CD player. With a proper source/amp, there is no contest, the K701's are in an entirely different class. Even if the point was to show how much more efficient the SR60's are, no one would argue against this in the first place.

Right now, it's like having a 65-inch 1080p LCD TV, and watching it in
standard definition.

If it means anything, I'm a Grado man myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, Tonz o' Gunz is on my current rotation. Are you amping them with the D10? I've had to temporarily retire my D2000s to my TV setup for when I play DJ Hero. I needed to reclaim my desktop and frankly, they don't sound that good through the uDac's headphone amp (I've been spoiled by the LDI+).

Yes, the D2000's work very well with the D10. Mostly been using the GLite + DPS, though, which is another story entirely. Really good resolution with that. Lots of "air" between the notes and beats.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #36 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a fun and unique comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
different alright.. but an interesting read

Thank you Redbull and jjinh.
Happy New Year to you!

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 119
New Discoveries After 50 hours of burning my K701:

1. The bass of SR60 and K701 seems similar at some songs but sometimes the K701 bass is deeper than the bass of SR60. The bass of K701 is more detailed than the SR60.

2. The voice of unique singers like Rod Stewart are amazing with the K701. Stewart's voice is really very different when heard from the K701 than SR60. The voice is more realistic in the K701 than in the SR60. Also Bryan Adams and Michael Bolton sounds great too with the K701. Bugoy Drilon's voice, a Filipino singer showed a deep voice with the SR60 but more deeper with the K701, I was surprised with his voice, very nice to hear from a singer.

At this time, I can say that K701 is a better bet for vocals than SR60. I was surprised by the voices of the singer in my K701. The singers voices via K701 are musical in my ears.

Thank you for reading.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #40 of 119
Just got a pair of K702's and I have to agree that one of their great strengths is with voice reproduction. I really haven't heard better personally. I'm still in the process of seeing where they stand in other ways, but on a whole they're a solid set of cans. The ergo mechanisms are to me a tad overcomplicated and I stare at it all fearing that something will break, like one of the plastic parts or one of the strings that control the headbands tension. Not very comforting when you're an International customer and not a cheap shipping cost away from a repair facility.

Grados OTOH, are the benchmark where adhering to the 'keep it simple' principle... is concerned!!!
eek.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #41 of 119
This was a funny review.... Outcome was clear from the start... But fun reading....

And I'd be a real hypocrite to complain, considering that I once did a review comparing my AKG K701/Benchmark DAC1 Combo to some ultra-cheap Panasonic portables plugged into my laptop....

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #42 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ergo mechanisms are to me a tad overcomplicated and I stare at it all fearing that something will break, like one of the plastic parts or one of the strings that control the headbands tension. Not very comforting when you're an International customer and not a cheap shipping cost away from a repair facility.

One of my thin clear plastic bands that connect to the headband on my K701 did indeed snap in two a while ago (but the headband mechanism still works since it's still connected by that bigger plastic piece on top of the thin clear piece; just requires more fiddling now to get the right fit). Do handle it with care.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #43 of 119
Update of my brand new AKG K701:
I was expecting I was to burn only the headphones for the sound.
I must also burn the comfort of this big headphone like what I did with my Grado SR60.
Fellow headfiers, I have done the two ways of burning towards a comfortable AKG K701.
Below are two pictures:
valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture4551-dsc03005-small.jpg

I placed the headphones within the book so that the clamping pressure/force will be lessen into my ears. And I think my ears are getting lesser force now as compared before.

valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture4552-dsc03007-small.jpg

I tied the headband so that the headstrap will always be at its maximum size of arc to fill my head completely creating a lesser pressure/force onto my head.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #44 of 119
Update of the new AKG K701 after 120 hours burning

Fellow headfiers, I keep on burning my brand new AKG K701 every night every week. And I've got 120 hours. I was assuming no changes at all. But at the 120th hour I found an additional new sounds coming from this headphones. More details are added to the sound even just plugged into my Sony Portable Discman. I keep Santana CD play repeatedly. Before the drums and other instruments sound harsh but now no more. And best of all, I heard new instruments playing in the Santana music. I think cymbals have the "ssss" already. Long "ssss" now, before it was just "ss". Patience will just be the virtue in burning headphones like this K701. I am not even halfway. Now, I am expecting for changes in sound.

I listened again to my CD. The instruments played distinctly well in the Michael Bubble CD as compared before. Instruments separation I think is really an asset of this headphone. I assume K701 is more detailed than my SR60. Though I really have observed that Grado SR60 is warmer than K701, which I like too. I think I am enjoying burning headphone K701 than my SR60.

With regards to comfort level. I think K701 is more comfortable now. Because there is lesser clamping force in my head. Doing the 2 techniques I have presented made it comfortable in my head. I think I am getting paid of what I've spent to this headphones, 3x as much the cost of Grado SR60. And also to add, I can see now that Grado SR60 is really one of the best bang headphone for the money.

Thank you for reading guys.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #45 of 119
V-man, I wouldn't even consider plugging either of my AKGs into your sources - that amp upgrade really needs to happen, even if you buy a secondhand integrated or AV receiver, these cans need more power behind them. It would be great if we could all afford the Black Cube Linear, but many here swear by the Canamp with the 701 - I hope you will be able to hear the difference for yourself one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back