Grado SR325i + ???
Sep 13, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #17 of 21
There is no quality loss at transcoding process between any lossless formats, and you always keep the original quality intact for lossless->lossy unless you threw away lossless files after transcoding.

This also means you can also get exact copy of CD if desired, and there is no degradation occurs if the file has to be edited sonically.

Not to mention, generally lossless codecs handle high-resolution better than lossy codecs.

And there are other tiny advantages such as multi-channel support, but they are not that important to be mentioned.

Only disadvantage is the hard drive space, which is non-issue when you can get 2tb hdd for about 70 bucks now. Also notice even your portable player (Sansa Clip+) supports lossless files.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #18 of 21
Yes OP, the 325is sound right for you. get a cheep "warm" amp with them and they will shine like a diamond.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #19 of 21
What I did was directly convert the FLAC file into a lossy file and then Foobar ABX'd them. I couldn't tell which was which. I got hold of another lossy version of the same song from the internet but this time there was slight variances in the files. Some parts were cut-off. ABX'ing between the two files, I could tell which was which. 

Song used was Afterlife by A7X.

For the average user, it's much easier to just download the mp3 version from a reliable source, than to buy the Flac album and then convert them to other formats, since you don't really need the FLAC file.

Quote:
There is no quality loss at transcoding process between any lossless formats, and you always keep the original quality intact for lossless->lossy unless you threw away lossless files after transcoding.

This also means you can also get exact copy of CD if desired, and there is no degradation occurs if the file has to be edited sonically.

Not to mention, generally lossless codecs handle high-resolution better than lossy codecs.

And there are other tiny advantages such as multi-channel support, but they are not that important to be mentioned.

Only disadvantage is the hard drive space, which is non-issue when you can get 2tb hdd for about 70 bucks now. Also notice even your portable player (Sansa Clip+) supports lossless files.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 21
i think the alessandro ms2i is a fantastic alternative phone to the 325. i personally found the 325 treble a little too hot and sometimes sibilant, unlike the ms2i which is more neutral "tone downed" 325, with a slightly wider soundstage, although i prefer the 325 bass better which has slightly more impact. Hope this helps!

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 21
All depends on what you listen to and
the level of mastering used

Eg, Pink Floyd re-master and anything
Michael Jackson (post Off The Wall)
is going to sound more natural
lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back