Grado SR325i vs. SR225i
Aug 24, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #31 of 37

X2, i want a headphone tha'ts musical, but also gives out enough details, but still let me enjoy the music. so 225 or 325? anybody can help?

Quote:
I was set on buying the sr225i's by the end of this summer, however I would not mind just going for the 325is if the difference is really worth it. I currently use the ATH AD700 and ATH M50's and looking to give grados or alessandros a chance. Looking for a set of headphones that are fun to listen to and have a punch in bass. I'm not a bass head but I want some cans that are, again, just fun.

Now I'm torn between the 225is, 325i's and alessandro MS2
Help!

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #32 of 37

Quote:
The SR-225(i) has less treble then the SR-325i, but the SR-225(i) treble sounds more natural and extended. Most people say that the SR-325i(s) highs are piercing/fatiguing, but I hardly think they are. Also the SR-325i(s) have more bass and a somewhat sheen to their sound. They are also cumbersome and easily slip off your head, so no head banging please! Another thing to note is that the SR-325i(s) overall sound is a little different than the normal Grado sound.

If you get the SR-325i(s) and feel they are fatiguing, just listen at lower volumes a little bit everyday till your ears become accustomed to their sound. Then the fatiguing thing should be solved and if not, I'd just return them if possible.

EDIT: Also if you need more bass, just put some electrical tape around the 'bowls" and the bass is nearly doubled. This happens because the bowls are open on the sides and when putting tape around them it prevents sound from flowing out. Essentially it focuses the sound into the ear canal and slightly raises the SPL. This is good if you are a bass-head like me
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'm here and I'm willing to help.

Good call! Thanks for the help!

I just upgraded from SR125 (non i) to SR225i and I am loving it. So much more separation, not as harsh up top and very floaty sound. Multi layered with a solid presentation and lots of bounce. They are super fun and I just can't take them off! 

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #34 of 37
Rather than resurrect an old thread, i suggest you use the search functions to search a grado thread with the most active one
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/5400#post_8831618

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:
Any experience on this thread with wood-modding the 325i's?

Yeah, I recently converted some 325is to woodies using some Vibro Classic mahogany cups. Very simple to do with these cups - there's a video installation guide on this page: http://turbulentlabs.com/film/view/ It really was as easy as the video makes it look!

They look great, but I can't made too many strong claims for the change in sound - I think it's taken the edge of the highs a little, but this was a pretty well run-in pair and didn't sound very harsh to begin with (much less so than I was expecting, given the 325i's reputation!)

What I can say is that I put the 325i's aluminium cups on my Alessandro MS1is and now there is very little difference sonically between them and the woodied 325is ...

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #37 of 37
Enjoying my new sr225i's.  Am here now to prevent myself from spending unnecessarily on sr325i's.

Mission accomplished.  Thanks guys for saving me some scarce (these days) money.

I am sticking with the 225ers.

Man's gotta know his limit....economies of scale, or should I say the point of diminishing returns?

The delightful 225's are my last stop. If I were to bite on the 325's, who knows where the madness would end?  Skip a rent payment.....fast for a month? 
L3000.gif

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back