Grado SR225 Thread
Oct 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #377 of 831
Just got a pair of Grado SR225i's off a great guy on here in the mail today. 

Two words...holy crap.

I feel like I've substantially moved up...and I've got some good cans...I listen to rock...classic, metal, 80's..etc..

These are sick, the soundstage seems vastly opened compared to my other two sets...the M-80's and HD-25's. Both awesome in their own right. But these...just opened up my music. I have them hooked up to an ipod touch with the cMoyBB and...wow. Total instrument separation. If this is what they sound like before burning them in...then I'm in for a happy ending!

I see now why they have such a huge following!

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #378 of 831
I absolutely love my sr225s...i just recently acquired some 325 cups and still debating whether i should disturb the awesome sound of the sr225s...
might just stick them on my sr60s....
have any of you had any experience putting aluminum cups on the sr225?

i know one day i will stick woodies on them...but not for a while

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #379 of 831
...not sure about aluminium, going to be going straight to woody with a pair of the Vintage here shortly though:

http://headphonelounge.com/products/mahogany-grado-cups/

A little expensive, but Santa has been kind this year.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #380 of 831
Quote:
...not sure about aluminium, going to be going straight to woody with a pair of the Vintage here shortly though:

http://headphonelounge.com/products/mahogany-grado-cups/

A little expensive, but Santa has been kind this year.

they are nice but i want to work on a diy pair with my dad. 
I think i might stick with the plastic on the sr225 and wait to woody them when i get the chance.....
I did read somewhere that putting the sr325 cups on vented sr225 will give it a very similar sound of the sr325 thats just why i thought about it....

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #381 of 831
I admire anyone who can live with these cans, I tried whole heatedly for a week, but had to surrender them back because of the harshness. I wish I had the discipline to have worked through the urn in, I'm sure after 4 months they would have smoothed out... I admire the fact that I could turn the volume up to unbearably loud levels and not hear any bass distortion.. Whereas my new ps500 do distort at the moment at very loud levels..

Probably because of the bass on these already has 10 db boost in the mid bass. Any bass tracks blow them out at really high volume levels. You can't have the best of both worlds!

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #382 of 831
I love these cans, not only to soundwise but these are the most comfortable cans I've ever had. Surely it needed me to bend the headband, but because it's something Grado suggests everyone to do, it is just something you should.
These are light, easy to wear and very nice sounding.

I didn't like SR335is that much, not that they sound bright, but extra weight. Some day I'll be rich enough to pay price of RS1 or RS2, but that day is not today as I have two children making noise...

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #383 of 831
Can't speak for higher end grados, but these get as much headtime as my Audio Technica W3000anvs... that cost more than 5x as much!  These are just so fun to listen to.  I must be at 1000-1500 hrs on my pair over 3yrs of use

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #384 of 831
I've had my 225i's now for a couple of weeks and I'm waiting on my first amp which is on back order-the Schiit Asgard 2. So, I haven't heard them amped, except when auditioning in a store. I'd be curious on thoughts re: amps. Please feel free to give me your opinions.
From what I've read, they don't really need an amp, but may sound a little better with one.

I listen to a lot of metal and rock. But, as an aging metalhead, I also listen to softer background music; indie singer songwriters, folk, jazz, some classical, soundtracks, new age.....

I'm playing around w/ different recordings determining what sounds best with these cans and what I might want at a later date. I like throwing a well recorded CD into  a player, enjoy sitting with my stereo with my HP's and going back and forth from my 225's to the speakers comparing the differences. Sometimes, it's fun to crank the speakers sans cans and then go back to the cans and hear all the little details.

I agree w/ the consensus that they sound great for mid-upper range. Among other things I listen to genres of music called doom/drone/sludge/stoner rock which tends to be very base heavy. Frequently played on downtuned guitars that are recorded through base amps that create a massive distorted base sound. If you know what early era Black Sabbath sounds like-think Sabbath or steroids.  Here, I think I'd like a little more bass impact. Alternately, some more sound stage on bigger symphonic recordings.

That said, I still find classical enjoyable and......

I REALLY like the front and center aggressive quality w/ most of my heavy rock music. I would say with blues and guitar centric music, these guys are the bomb. And, anything with really heavy distorted guitar-big crunchy, raw metal, punk, noiserock, hardcore, etc. the 225 are really excellent.

I also enjoy prog. Right now, I'm listening to Porcupine Tree's "in Abstentia" and I think this is one of the best listens I've had-that said, this is a proggy album with a fair amount of distorted guitar-kind of perfect!

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #385 of 831
So my experience with Grado SR225i is that without any mod they are quite bright when coupled with Schiit Modi and Magni, but with tape mod ... I just love them 
basshead.gif
 ear-piercing thing is complete gone. Mids are very engaging , bass has awesome kick and treble is nicely balanced at least to my ears 
wink_face.gif

Only con for me is comfort, these pads are really uncomfortable to my ears. But what the heck... I can survive for about hour till it's too annoying so it's acceptable 
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #386 of 831
So my experience with Grado SR225i is that without any mod they are quite bright when coupled with Schiit Modi and Magni, but with tape mod ... I just love them
basshead.gif
ear-piercing thing is complete gone. Mids are very engaging , bass has awesome kick and treble is nicely balanced at least to my ears
wink_face.gif
Only con for me is comfort, these pads are really uncomfortable to my ears. But what the heck... I can survive for about hour till it's too annoying so it's acceptable
biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree w/ all of your comments including the tape mod. Although, I'm not sure if it's placebo for me. However, I've been using them unamped and w/o a DAC which might make the difference less dramatic.

Currently, waiting for the back ordered Asgard 2 and still on the fence DAC wise.  Your comments about the bright sound of the Modi and Magni with a bright set of cans raise a bit of a red flag.

I'm listening to most of my digital music through a streaming receiver that also is connected to my network and w/ stored ditial music files. It has a better DAC than my PC but still not fantastic. Really not convinced that a DAC would drastically improve the receiver's sound. I'd love the Bifrost, but need USB for my PC and don't really want to spend $450 just yet. Thinking of the Hrt Streamer.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #387 of 831
Let us know on your feelings with Asgard 2 when you get it :wink: I'll get Lyr soon so I expect also some change.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #388 of 831
Quote:
Let us know on your feelings with Asgard 2 when you get it :wink: I'll get Lyr soon so I expect also some change.

For sure....I'm on a rampage updating my decrepit stereo as well as HP kit. Currently streaming using a Onkyo receiver that sounds better than my PC, but still pretty mediocre.

Looking at either Bifrost or the new HRT Microstreamer to improve digital music  listening at least on my PC. I like the notion of bypassing the soundcard w/ something like the HRT Microstreamer and then either listening to HPs or connecting via the external DAC to a decent receiver with good speakers.

I will report on my AS-2 if it #! ever gets here...

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #389 of 831
loving my 225's , and I have some ms1's on they way, I wonder how they'll compare .. .

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #390 of 831
So finally got Lyr and as for SR225i , it's way overkill imo :D Guess Magni is enough, plus of Lyr is tube rolling therefore changing sound signature ,but 6W are definitely not needed to drive these Grados :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back