Grado SR225 Thread
Dec 17, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #571 of 831
I'm currently using (and really enjoying) my 225i's, having upgraded about a year ago from my SR80's. I'm now getting that urge to upgrade, but within reason (money being that reason). So now the SR325e's are out, and from what I have read, they're not as harsh as prevsious versions of the 325's, I was wondering what your thoughts are on moving from the 225i's to the 325e's.

One niggle I have is the cost difference in the UK. The SR325e's in the US are currently priced at $295, which is roughly £190 in the UK. However, any official dealer in the UK has the SR325e's priced as £299, so a lot of the cost (about 37% of it) seems to be on something other than what would ultimately be clamped around my head, just because I live in the UK.

That doesn't give me a warm feeling, but maybe there would be some comfort in hearing anyone's thoughts on how much of an improvement the SR225e's are over my SR225i's. Maybe some of you in this group have some thoughts on that being an upgrade I should consider instead of the 325e's.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #572 of 831
Hey guys, I'm trying to trade my AKG K701's for a pair of Grados. 225 or 325??! I hear the 325's can be a little bright and hurt the ears...Any thoughts here? Not that this SR225 forum will be biased or anything haaha. Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #573 of 831
  Hey guys, I'm trying to trade my AKG K701's for a pair of Grados. 225 or 325??! I hear the 325's can be a little bright and hurt the ears...Any thoughts here? Not that this SR225 forum will be biased or anything haaha. Thanks!

I've owned two 325is, two 225i and currently have a 225e. There's very little to choose between the sound of the 325i & 225i - they are both bright headphones. The difference in build quality (and price!) far outweighs the difference in sound. I personally prefer the 225i as it's much lighter on the head, although the leather headband on the 325i is much better than the plastic one on the 225i (this can be upgraded though.)

The 225e has more bass and is a little less bright than the 225i. I've not heard a 325e, but I'd be shocked if it sounded very different from the 225e.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #574 of 831
I still have my SR225i's, having also bought a pair of SR325i's a couple of weeks before Christmas.

The 325's are now my first choice, and I'm happy listening for long periods without any discomfort. They're heavier than the 225s, but not uncomfortably so. Overall I would say they're better finished and seem more robust, plus the headband is a lot nicer than the plasticky on on the 225's. I'm surprised they can apply the 325 headback to the 225 (cant or wont... they just dont).

As for sound, I was anticipating some harshness based on what I have read previously, but I'm absolutely fine with them, and do prefer them to the 225's. I listen to rock, classical, jazz, blues, etc., and happy drive either set of phones with my Musical Fidelity Xcans amp, iBasso DX50 or a couple of other MP3 players I have.

Either are great though, so I would be surpised if you puschased either and was disappointed.

I also had some K701's, and whilst what I said at the time didn't go down very well with some people, I still maintain that the Grado's deliver a whole lot more in detail, soundstage, and basically are far more enjoyable to listen to music through... to my ears. When I purchased the 325's, the guy also suggested I try some Senn HD750's. I have to admit that although I only had them on for about 10 mins and skipped through 4-5 tracks, I was still waiting for a WOW moment. It didn't come, but Grado's do give me that.

I hope you enjoy them.... I'm sure you will!

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #575 of 831

I've owned two 325is, two 225i and currently have a 225e. There's very little to choose between the sound of the 325i & 225i - they are both bright headphones. The difference in build quality (and price!) far outweighs the difference in sound. I personally prefer the 225i as it's much lighter on the head, although the leather headband on the 325i is much better than the plastic one on the 225i (this can be upgraded though.)

The 225e has more bass and is a little less bright than the 225i. I've not heard a 325e, but I'd be shocked if it sounded very different from the 225e.

Roger that, thanks for the info. Sounds like I should just opt for the less expensive 225i's, huh?

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #578 of 831
I bought a new SR225e last month, looove the sound but doesn't pair well with my tinnitus.. I guess I need a phone with rolled off treble
frown.gif

I used them for about one hour only and bought them for 239,- euro  

If anyone is interested (in Europe)  I'll let them go for 185,-

darn tinnitus
redface.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #579 of 831
  I bought a new SR225e last month, looove the sound but doesn't pair well with my tinnitus.. I guess I need a phone with rolled off treble
frown.gif

darn tinnitus
redface.gif

You just bought the wrong model. Try a PS500e and you won't have a problem. Maybe they would let you trade your 225 in?

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #580 of 831
I bought my SR225's maybe 20 years ago.  But recently I've gotten more interested in all things headphone, and I'd like to know if any of you have a spec sheet for the SR225's.  Not the 225i's, mind you.  I contacted Grado and was disappointed to learn that they don't keep an archive of that stuff.  Kind of surprising, actually, given how cheap digital storage is.  But there it is.  So if any of you guys have a spec sheet that you'd be willing to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #582 of 831
I bought a new SR225e last month, looove the sound but doesn't pair well with my tinnitus.. I guess I need a phone with rolled off treble :frowning2:

darn tinnitus :xf_eek:

The original ps500 would suit you well then, a bit more expensive but less top end emphasis.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #584 of 831
I just bought the Grado SR225, it came with bowl pads and the seller was nice enough to include them with Aluminum Gimbals!

HATE the bowl pads though. I have small ears and a large head that does wonders for over ear headphones, but absolutely terrible for ear-clip headphones and on ears.

I flipped the pads around (reverse bowls). Man. They sound like AKG Q701's now.. Freakishly similar, as I love my AKG's. Except the Grados have more sub bass, liquid mids and a smooth treble. Something I wanted out of the HD598's but the Sennheisers disappointed me, I wasn't too big a fan of their kind of warm coloration.

Are there any pads I can buy that share this characteristic? The bowl pads are a bit too uncomfortable for me. I know Grados aren't supposed to be comfortable, but I'll take what I can get in terms of comfort.

So key points I liked about the reverse bowl pads
-Liquid mids (+ more mids intimacy compared to the Q701's)
-Smoother treble
-Fit my small ears better
-Sub bass increase

Edit: Nevermind.. Somehow they became comfortable over time. They leave a mark on my ear that looks like a rash though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #585 of 831
  I just bought the Grado SR225, it came with bowl pads and the seller was nice enough to include them with Aluminum Gimbals!

HATE the bowl pads though. I have small ears and a large head that does wonders for over ear headphones, but absolutely terrible for ear-clip headphones and on ears.

I flipped the pads around (reverse bowls). Man. They sound like AKG Q701's now.. Freakishly similar, as I love my AKG's. Except the Grados have more sub bass, liquid mids and a smooth treble. Something I wanted out of the HD598's but the Sennheisers disappointed me, I wasn't too big a fan of their kind of warm coloration.

Are there any pads I can buy that share this characteristic? The bowl pads are a bit too uncomfortable for me. I know Grados aren't supposed to be comfortable, but I'll take what I can get in terms of comfort.

So key points I liked about the reverse bowl pads
-Liquid mids (+ more mids intimacy compared to the Q701's)
-Smoother treble
-Fit my small ears better
-Sub bass increase

Edit: Nevermind.. Somehow they became comfortable over time. They leave a mark on my ear that looks like a rash though.

Suggestion, remove the pads and wash them in warm water with some mild clothes detergent and softener in it, Rinse well and let them air dry. They will be much softer and more comfortable and there should be no rash, unless you are allergic to plastic <g>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back