Grado SR225 Thread
Jun 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #541 of 831

Is there any point in owning the SR80 if I know I liked the SR225? I honestly didn't lose much for my preferred genres/artists in keeping the SR225 over my RS1, but I never tried anything lower than the 225.

I think the iGrado is one of the most under-rated headphones today.  Essentially a portable 60, I think it is amazing with my portable stuff.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #542 of 831

I think the iGrado is one of the most under-rated headphones today.  Essentially a portable 60, I think it is amazing with my portable stuff.

we are going to Virginia beach in a week....wish I had an igrado to take with me for my portable.

I will be using my RE400 iems and grado sr60i cans

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #543 of 831
When I get into this audio hobby, I never thought that I would get this far. I said to myself 1 iem that would be enough but then I felt the need to get a can for a different experience. I only had one in my mind that would suit my genre and that is Grado.

Purchased my SR225i last Dec. 2013 from TTVJ Audio.

Until now it never stops to amaze me.

Thanks Grado for making one of the best headphones! :yum::headphones:

- Karen

P. S. Allow me to share some snaps of my SR225i. #gradolove

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #544 of 831
When I get into this audio hobby, I never thought that I would get this far. I said to myself 1 iem that would be enough but then I felt the need to get a can for a different experience. I only had one in my mind that would suit my genre and that is Grado.

Purchased my SR225i last Dec. 2013 from TTVJ Audio.

Until now it never stops to amaze me.

Thanks Grado for making one of the best headphones! :yum::headphones:

- Karen

P. S. Allow me to share some snaps of my SR225i. #gradolove

Watch out. You may start to covet the RS1i  (uh, make that now "e") as I did and then-just like that-you're sucked in! Then, you'll  want a tube amp.

It's the Grado Mafia man....you can check out but you can never leave. Oh, wait. That's the Hotel California. But, you catch my drift.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #545 of 831
cool pics - especially the black and white one. makes the grado look even more vintage.

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #546 of 831
Watch out. You may start to covet the RS1i  (uh, make that now "e") as I did and then-just like that-you're sucked in! Then, you'll  want a tube amp.

It's the Grado Mafia man....you can check out but you can never leave. Oh, wait. That's the Hotel California. But, you catch my drift.

You've described my dilemma almost perfectly. :frowning2:

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #547 of 831

I would have to agree with you, I'm waiting for the poison to set in. 

I'm almost and about to get an RS1i, until a friend of mine offered me a crazy deal. His own on-the-go set-up which I'm currently enjoying right now. 

Although, I'm thinking of PS500 instead. Well, who knows I might get both. haha 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #549 of 831
  I would have to agree with you, I'm waiting for the poison to set in. 

I'm almost and about to get an RS1i, until a friend of mine offered me a crazy deal. His own on-the-go set-up which I'm currently enjoying right now. 

Although, I'm thinking of PS500 instead. Well, who knows I might get both. haha 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's hard-especially when you haven't heard them. I posted a bunch of my impressions in the general Grado appreciation thread. Like a lot of people my initial reaction to the RS1i from the 225i was puzzlement. It took me a couple of days to see the difference. I can now...but it's subtle. Definitely an upgrade but no eureka moment. I am finding I'm listening to them a lot more. Going from a speaker set up to HP's, I would usually opt for speakers unless my family was sleeping or I was listening to some really heavy metal or something. I sometimes swtich back and forth from speakers/HP's.

Now, I find, w/ a good recording, I'll often opt for the RS1i-the overall detail and refinement is a step up from my speakers-so that says something to me. It feels like a jump from really good and in the face (225) to more refinement and closer to audiophile/hifi sound. Particularly with jazz and very nuanced rock/pop-less so metal/punk/classic rock.

The separation of instruments is pretty amazing-I've been listening to a lot of jazz. The extra sounspace while not huge lends themselves better to orchestra/epic sounding music, the tighter base works better w/ electronic. While not an Audeze-they just sound like a step up.

And yet! There's always a but. On a quick A-B there's not a huge difference to define. More of an overall presentation.

Would love to have heard a 500. Since I knew I liked the 225i-I opted for a better version of the 225. Of course, that would also argue for a 500-two different sound signatures.

My strategy was to top end at the Grado sound I currently like w/ the RS1i and maybe go for some Orthos in about a year in lieu of the 500's or upper tier Grados.....

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #550 of 831
Yeah, the longer that you listen to the RS1...the more you realize how nice this can really is....it is almost like a slow transition....at first , it is like...I am not sure I hear much difference.....then after awhile....it all comes together  
smile.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #552 of 831
I've definitely been enjoying my RS1i. Wish I could have auditioned both. As it was, I bought (albeit at a great deal) sight unheard as it were.

I guess ps 500 would be much bigger contrast. One thought would be do you want two different sound signatures? Or, would you want to basically upgrade the 225 and possibly sell the 225? I'm keeping both for the moment. I've got two amps now-LD1+ and Asgard-2. I'm going to run one from a dedicated CD based stereo rig w/ Sonos and the other for computer audio.

But, first I need to get an separate dedicated DAC that can accommodate. Right now, I'm utilizing the DAC that is built into an integrated amp that has digital and traditional inputs.

My next move-it will be my spendiest one yet-will be to get a nice CD transport and DAC combo-both separate components from Musical Fidelity. Kind of a MF stack as it were. That will give me a fairly high end CD player and allow me to use the DAC for CD's and computer audio. I have a stereo and computer in the same room. Then, I'll have two  little HP rigs up for both applications.

At least that's my current game plan....always subject to change.....

That is my long winded rationale for keeping two headphones that basically have the same sound signature with different levels of refinement :)

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #553 of 831
  I've definitely been enjoying my RS1i. Wish I could have auditioned both. As it was, I bought (albeit at a great deal) sight unheard as it were.

I guess ps 500 would be much bigger contrast. One thought would be do you want two different sound signatures? Or, would you want to basically upgrade the 225 and possibly sell the 225? I'm keeping both for the moment. I've got two amps now-LD1+ and Asgard-2. I'm going to run one from a dedicated CD based stereo rig w/ Sonos and the other for computer audio.

But, first I need to get an separate dedicated DAC that can accommodate. Right now, I'm utilizing the DAC that is built into an integrated amp that has digital and traditional inputs.

My next move-it will be my spendiest one yet-will be to get a nice CD transport and DAC combo-both separate components from Musical Fidelity. Kind of a MF stack as it were. That will give me a fairly high end CD player and allow me to use the DAC for CD's and computer audio. I have a stereo and computer in the same room. Then, I'll have two  little HP rigs up for both applications.

At least that's my current game plan....always subject to change.....

That is my long winded rationale for keeping two headphones that basically have the same sound signature with different levels of refinement :)

plans, and rationale , two things most all of us have a lot of experience with ! lol

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #554 of 831

plans, and rationale , two things most all of us have a lot of experience with ! lol

Indeed my friend. And, you've been a big contributor to my downward spiral (LOL!)

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #555 of 831
yeah, i'm a bad influence  
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back