Grado SR225 Thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #556 of 831
  yeah, i'm a bad influence  
cool.gif

My Mom told me not to play with kids like you.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #558 of 831
ps: i posted the post 2 days ago on grado general thread, but since this is sr225 specific thread... i figured i'd get more opinion about it...

guys... i need an advice....

i have grado sr60i for years. maybe around 4 years i think. around a week ago the grado sr60i decided to broke down. sad day.

my grado sr60i left channel broke down. just the cable connector between the left driver really. my temporary solution to it is, when im listening, i push the left cable upwards, and the sound comes out just fine (gets tiring after an hour to hold the cable in place). when i just leave the cable hanging, there's no sound. i'm definitely going to buy a grado replacement now. initially i was set on just buying the sr60 again.

but then... the more i google the more i read that sr60 and sr80 is "not an upgrade, it's just just different" not so much an upgrade. and the "sweet spot" of prestige series is sr225i. but then there are also opinions that say if a person have the means to get sr80, live a little and get sr80.

i have exactly $165 that i was about to use for buying fiio e17.... i can't save more money than that because my financial situations doesn't allow me to do that for the foreseeable future.
(also, the reason i wanted to buy fiio e17 was because it's the cheapest dac available where i live. since im using a dell laptop, and as some of you know, dell laptop audio is pretty bad (hissing and stuffs). No fiio e10 here in case anybody ask...

so, on the topic... to be honest i totally completely fine with grado sr60 with it's comfies pad. despite many reporting it to be quite uncomfortable. i myself find that the clamping force and the way the comfies just "hang" on my ear to be totally comfortable.

it's even more comfortable than my $300 shure headphone. the shure is several level better for music. now for movies, im still using and appreciate my sr60 more.

i don't really mind buying the sr60e because i have zero problem with this, and even though i own another $300 headphone, i always go back to my sr60i because it's so comfortable for me, to listen to for 10-12 hours session with its comfies pad.

checking out the prices here sr60e is ($90) sr80e is ($110) and sr225e is ($210). $45 is not a stretch from my $165 fiio budget though.

so... my question to you guys is.... which one should i get with my quite limited budget...?
is the sr225 differences in sound justify the differences in price...?

-----
ps:: the local distributor that sells it doesn't give audition so im relying entirely on you guys comment...

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #559 of 831
ps: i posted the post 2 days ago on grado general thread, but since this is sr225 specific thread... i figured i'd get more opinion about it...

i have grado sr60i for years. maybe around 4 years i think. around a week ago the grado sr60i decided to broke down. sad day.

my grado sr60i left channel broke down. just the cable connector between the left driver really. my temporary solution to it is, when im listening, i push the left cable upwards, and the sound comes out just fine (gets tiring after an hour to hold the cable in place). when i just leave the cable hanging, there's no sound. i'm definitely going to buy a grado replacement now. initially i was set on just buying the sr60 again.

but then... the more i google the more i read that sr60 and sr80 is "not an upgrade, it's just just different" not so much an upgrade. and the "sweet spot" of prestige series is sr225i. but then there are also opinions that say if a person have the means to get sr80, live a little and get sr80.

i have exactly $165 that i was about to use for buying fiio e17.... i can't save more money than that because my financial situations doesn't allow me to do that for the foreseeable future.
(also, the reason i wanted to buy fiio e17 was because it's the cheapest dac available where i live. since im using a dell laptop, and as some of you know, dell laptop audio is pretty bad (hissing and stuffs). No fiio e10 here in case anybody ask...

so, on the topic... to be honest i totally completely fine with grado sr60 with it's comfies pad. despite many reporting it to be quite uncomfortable. i myself find that the clamping force and the way the comfies just "hang" on my ear to be totally comfortable.

it's even more comfortable than my $300 shure headphone. the shure is several level better for music. now for movies, im still using and appreciate my sr60 more.

i don't really mind buying the sr60e because i have zero problem with this, and even though i own another $300 headphone, i always go back to my sr60i because it's so comfortable for me, to listen to for 10-12 hours session with its comfies pad.

checking out the prices here sr60e is ($90) sr80e is ($110) and sr225e is ($210). $45 is not a stretch from my $165 fiio budget though.

so... my question to you guys is.... which one should i get with my quite limited budget...?
ps:: the local distributor that sells it doesn't give audition so im relying entirely on you guys comment...

You're asking fans of the 225, so you can guess the answer! I auditioned the 80, 225 and 325 when I bought my 225i a couple of years ago. To me, the 225 was the sweet spot in terms of price and sound. The 225 sounded fuller, more robust. Some would suggest it was partially the pads. But, to me it was the way to go. No regrets. If I knew what  I know now, I might have just waited and saved for the RS1i, but that's a big price jump.

IMO-you'll be happy w/ the 225.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #560 of 831
You're asking fans of the 225, so you can guess the answer! I auditioned the 80, 225 and 325 when I bought my 225i a couple of years ago. To me, the 225 was the sweet spot in terms of price and sound. The 225 sounded fuller, more robust. Some would suggest it was partially the pads. But, to me it was the way to go. No regrets. If I knew what  I know now, I might have just waited and saved for the RS1i, but that's a big price jump.

i love my old (broken) sr60 comfies... does sr225 still sounds good with comfies...?

another thing is that...... i only hv $150... if i buy sr225e it sets me back around $200~$220... is it a big improvement from sr60 to buy sr225 with money i dont actually hv...?

i dont mind sacrificing not buying wireless mouse and decent headset for sr225 if its a big improvement from sr60... but since i cant audition... i gotta ask here....

cheers...

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #561 of 831
  Any experience with anything other than the 225 and RS1?

You might enjoy the PS500. I have these three, and the PS500 is definitely a lot of fun with the added midbass. They feel a little more laid back compared to the RS1, but still with plenty of attack and pace.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #562 of 831

i love my old (broken) sr60 comfies... does sr225 still sounds good with comfies...?

another thing is that...... i only hv $150... if i buy sr225e it sets me back around $200~$220... is it a big improvement from sr60 to buy sr225 with money i dont actually hv...?

i dont mind sacrificing not buying wireless mouse and decent headset for sr225 if its a big improvement from sr60... but since i cant audition... i gotta ask here....

cheers...

I haven't spent much time with the 60. I just think for overall bang for dollar, the 225 is quite good if you can afford it. But, others will tell you the 80 is the way to go and is their most popular HP. I'd go for the 80 over the 60 if it were me. L Cush that come w/ the 225, 325 and RS1 IMO sound best w/ the 225. I've tried the comfies. But something is lost for me in the sound. Feels less full/loss of impact/soundstage.

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #568 of 831
These have got to be one of the best bang for the buck headphones out there.  I ultimately ended up trading mine in for a Stax rig.  20% better sound quality, but a LOT more money.  Can't go wrong with Grado if you want some nice detailed cans.  

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #569 of 831

My new Grado's have arrived and are all setup ready to go. Source is my ibasso dx50 connected to a Freds Amps 3 Channel CMOY. I'll also be trying out my other CMOY with the RA1 opamp inside to see how it compares.
Initial impressions are the differences are very subtle if any, the e series maybe a touch more refined perhaps. Maybe things will change a bit more with burn in but at this point in time i'd say if you currently have the i series you're not missing out on anything.

Update: Well i may end up eating my own words, after a day of burn in these things are starting to sound very nice indeed and the differences are becoming a bit more apparent. I'm starting to notice a slightly stronger low end where as the top end is smoother and less harsh. One thing i forgot to mention is these seem a lot more comfortable out of the box, i remember having comfor issues with my i series cans.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #570 of 831

If you enjoy them, why not just get them fixed for a low price?  If only the one channel cuts out and is fixed up pushing on the cable, then it is likely just a loose connection.

If you can solder, you can likely fix it easily for nothing.  If not, a local electronics-type repair shop should be able to re-solder the loose wire pretty easily.  There are 2 wires that go to each cup.

There are guides around with pics on how to recable these headphones (which will give you an idea of how they are set up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back