Grado SR225 Thread
Jun 18, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #526 of 831

They really sound good straight from an Ipod or smartphone.

I agree and definitely recommend this unit for anyone on the fence in choosing a prestige model.  the only time I would consider an amp is when I like to have controls to the treble and bass region (actually searching for a portable one right now)

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #527 of 831
I've owned the SR225, RS2 and RS1, and while I loved the RS1 I sold them as I was a poor college kid who no longer was working at my internship and wanted the money.

Earlier this year I sold off all my headphones to kind of take a break and now want to start over. That being said, as a lover and fan of the SR225, is there any other Grado I should consider? I listen to mainly rock and metal, but I skipped everything below the SR225 and wondered if any of them were worth considering/trying out or if I should just skip them and go with the SR225 again or maybe even go with a higher model.

Any thoughts?

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #528 of 831
I've just bought an RS1i...the difference were subtle at first. For aggressive rock/metal, I'm not sure the upgrade makes sense. For me, it smooths things out a bit for sibilant strident metal recordings-as we know a lot of metal is highly compressed/loud w/ exaggerated treble.

And, it's more refined for jazz. I definitely appreciate the RS1i for audiophile, complex recordings whether their heavy and complex like Tool, or indie stuff, for sure acoustic folk and jazz. Something like well recorded Vampire Weekend, Swans or St Vincent or complex like any prog you can throw at it, the details are amazing.

In jazz I can really pick up the sound of the bass, the piano runs in a different way than the 225i. It's the closest thing I've heard to live music. You can identify the soundspace that one instrument is playing-separation of instruments in a way that the 225i hints at but doesn't quite get. I think you'd get that if you were listening to some real proggy Opeth with all those blues runs, piano/keys, etc. But if you're listening to a lot of "core" metal and extreme go for the jugular DM-or old school AC/DC Iron Maiden, Motorhead-I think the 225.

That said, the 225, of course is really good with acoustic, blues, etc. It comes down (for me to) audiophile level attention to details and refinement and a little more of a musical smoothness. also, a little more controlled bass. But, it took me a couple of hours of listening to even hear the difference-it was that subtle. Now I can, tho.

That's my week later comparison
wink_face.gif

Now if I had $1,ooo or I was paying retail for the RS1i, I might just keep my 225 add an ortho like the LCD-2 as a change of pase especially for more bass oriented music like electronic and hip hop. But, I'm a rock/metal/blues/jazz guy mostly.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #530 of 831
  Any experience with anything other than the 225 and RS1?

That's as far up the food chain as I've gone. I'm stopping w/ the RS1 unless I hear the E version smokes the one I have....I really hope it doesn't.

Jay is the guy to talk with. I just bought the rs1 from him. He's really cool. If you send him a PM and ask-he'll break down his opinion of all the cans.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #531 of 831
  I've owned the SR225, RS2 and RS1, and while I loved the RS1 I sold them as I was a poor college kid who no longer was working at my internship and wanted the money.

Earlier this year I sold off all my headphones to kind of take a break and now want to start over. That being said, as a lover and fan of the SR225, is there any other Grado I should consider? I listen to mainly rock and metal, but I skipped everything below the SR225 and wondered if any of them were worth considering/trying out or if I should just skip them and go with the SR225 again or maybe even go with a higher model.

Any thoughts?

mark is spot on ! well said
if you don't want to go the rs1i route, i'd add the ps500 to the list, warmer, more powerful bass, nice contrast to the sr225/rs1i sound
or the gs1000 if you want to spend a little more

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #532 of 831
I've just bought an RS1i...the difference were subtle at first. For aggressive rock/metal, I'm not sure the upgrade makes sense. For me, it smooths things out a bit for sibilant strident metal recordings-as we know a lot of metal is highly compressed/loud w/ exaggerated treble.

And, it's more refined for jazz. I definitely appreciate the RS1i for audiophile, complex recordings whether their heavy and complex like Tool, or indie stuff, for sure acoustic folk and jazz. Something like well recorded Vampire Weekend, Swans or St Vincent or complex like any prog you can throw at it, the details are amazing.

In jazz I can really pick up the sound of the bass, the piano runs in a different way than the 225i. It's the closest thing I've heard to live music. You can identify the soundspace that one instrument is playing-separation of instruments in a way that the 225i hints at but doesn't quite get. I think you'd get that if you were listening to some real proggy Opeth with all those blues runs, piano/keys, etc. But if you're listening to a lot of "core" metal and extreme go for the jugular DM-or old school AC/DC Iron Maiden, Motorhead-I think the 225.

That said, the 225, of course is really good with acoustic, blues, etc. It comes down (for me to) audiophile level attention to details and refinement and a little more of a musical smoothness. also, a little more controlled bass. But, it took me a couple of hours of listening to even hear the difference-it was that subtle. Now I can, tho.

That's my week later comparison :wink_face:

Now if I had $1,ooo or I was paying retail for the RS1i, I might just keep my 225 add an ortho like the LCD-2 as a change of pase especially for more bass oriented music like electronic and hip hop. But, I'm a rock/metal/blues/jazz guy mostly.

Good comparison, thank you. I'm debating these two cans as an upgrade to my 10-year old SR80's. The RS1's have been what I've wanted since they were Grado's flagship model. They're beautiful headphones. But $500 more beautiful? Especially when the general consensus is that the 225's are ideal for the type of music I listen to the most. Guess I'll just wait and see what people say about the e series. :)

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #533 of 831
Good comparison, thank you. I'm debating these two cans as an upgrade to my 10-year old SR80's. The RS1's have been what I've wanted since they were Grado's flagship model. They're beautiful headphones. But $500 more beautiful? Especially when the general consensus is that the 225's are ideal for the type of music I listen to the most. Guess I'll just wait and see what people say about the e series.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good call....I would have waited, but you know who made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I didn't want to end up like Luca Brasi swimming with the fishes.....

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #534 of 831
Just kidding. No coercion. Just a great deal.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #535 of 831

Good call....I would have waited, but you know who made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I didn't want to end up like Luca Brasi swimming with the fishes.....

very wise
i have friends in low places   
cool.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #538 of 831

mark is spot on ! well said
if you don't want to go the rs1i route, i'd add the ps500 to the list, warmer, more powerful bass, nice contrast to the sr225/rs1i sound
or the gs1000 if you want to spend a little more

Is there any point in owning the SR80 if I know I liked the SR225? I honestly didn't lose much for my preferred genres/artists in keeping the SR225 over my RS1, but I never tried anything lower than the 225.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #539 of 831
I have many phones, including an ortho. It's worth it for a change in sound, but amping is way different than the grado. I absolutely love my hifiman he5le, and so do many others. They need lots more power than any grado or most others. The best thing is you can get them for 500-600.
I like the grado to throw on when I'm lazy, but the hifiman is positively worth a listen.

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #540 of 831

Is there any point in owning the SR80 if I know I liked the SR225? I honestly didn't lose much for my preferred genres/artists in keeping the SR225 over my RS1, but I never tried anything lower than the 225.

i hadn't heard the sr80i until very recently, and was supper impressed with how good it is for under a $100, and the guy i sold it was awestruck , he'd never heard a grado before.
the way i look at the sr (and rs)series, is basically, each time you move up, you get a refinement of the general grado sound, each move a little more bass maybe, a little more refined highs.
i've now owned(some briefly) all the grado's except the sr125, and the rs2, your more substantial departures and/or improvements come with the ps's, and the gs.
not as to your question, i'd say "it depends"
what are you going to use it for, portable use, the 80 would be the way i'd go. need something on a budget ? the 80.
for my use, sitting at home at my desktop system, i'd go 225/rs1.
i don't really get into model (x) is better for music type (y) , i listen to all types of music on whatever grado i have .
if you have a 225, and like it , i don't think you'd prefer the sound of it to the 225, but, i don't mean to imply its not good, its great !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back