Grado SR225 Thread
Jul 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #631 of 831
Youre correct the 225 does not need amping.but I use a schitt magna 2 , picked up new in the uk £100...... it as two gains, and very loud.so if im playing my hifi cd I just plug the 225 into the hifi main amp headphone output, works fine, and not to loud......if you use solid state I expect you wont be able to turn it up above 7 or 8......on the dail.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #632 of 831
  Have you heard your MS2e on other amps than you LD-1+?  I used to really like the Project Ember for driving the Grado's but am finding that since they are easy to drive the headphone amp in the UD-301 actually sounds better.  I think that many of the differing reviews are due everyone having different hearing and also the chain of equipment that is used like source, DAC and AMP which can play a large roll in how a headphone sounds.

If you are looking for a headphone that does rock and metal I would look at a DT-990, I have mine driven by a BH Crack and its a really nice pairing for rock/classic rock, the highs are a little more airy and extended to me.

The RS2e is a great sounding headphone but for the price you can build 3 SennGrado's which IMO are better sounding.  Another experiment that I've done and like is I took the drivers from a SR60i and put them in walnut wood cups and they are better than the RS2e IMO, bass is more extended and tight, mids about the same and highs a little smoother, did a little tuning with dynamat and depth of driver.  You can find used 60i for $40, wood cups for $70-90 and you are good to go, just something to think about.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, at times I listen to MS2e on just my Dragonfly, which is an amp/DAC combo and I hear a subtle difference versus LD 1+.  Anyway you slice it, MS2e, while a lovely headphone for its price with outstanding detail and clarity, is smoother and more laid back than its Grado counterparts.  I like a more forward and aggressive presentation but am also sensitive to brightness, so I have some conflicting interests to deal with.

I've considered DT990 but it has a reputation for very shrill highs on the order of SR325i or SR325is, so I've stayed away for that reason.  Doesn't sound like you have that opinion though; your BH Crack probably tames them.

My goal at the moment is to "get my Grado right" but if I do decide to go exploring other brands, I'm actually interested in planars......in particular the LCD-2 intrigues me.  It too has a very good reputation for rock/metal but is also very warm. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that, but I think it's the fast transient attack and very deep, extended bass that does it.  Also looking at HE-400i a bit.  Then of course I'd probably have to up my amp to Lyr2 or something like that and the wallet impact spirals out of control.....

I'm not overly confident in my DIY abilities but thanks for the tip!

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #633 of 831
  Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, at times I listen to MS2e on just my Dragonfly, which is an amp/DAC combo and I hear a subtle difference versus LD 1+.  Anyway you slice it, MS2e, while a lovely headphone for its price with outstanding detail and clarity, is smoother and more laid back than its Grado counterparts.  I like a more forward and aggressive presentation but am also sensitive to brightness, so I have some conflicting interests to deal with.

I've considered DT990 but it has a reputation for very shrill highs on the order of SR325i or SR325is, so I've stayed away for that reason.  Doesn't sound like you have that opinion though; your BH Crack probably tames them.

My goal at the moment is to "get my Grado right" but if I do decide to go exploring other brands, I'm actually interested in planars......in particular the LCD-2 intrigues me.  It too has a very good reputation for rock/metal but is also very warm. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that, but I think it's the fast transient attack and very deep, extended bass that does it.  Also looking at HE-400i a bit.  Then of course I'd probably have to up my amp to Lyr2 or something like that and the wallet impact spirals out of control.....

I'm not overly confident in my DIY abilities but thanks for the tip!

I have a LCD-2f and HE-400i along with a bunch of others, see my profile.  Anyway the LCD-2f and HE-400i do rock quite well but I still like the SennGrado better.  Another you might want to consider is HD-700 which currently is priced under $500 on MassDrop

As for the DT-990, yes the BH Crack does a wonderful job of taming the brightness, also pairs well with HD-650 and HD-800

I would suggest the Ember before the Lyr2, cheaper and more versatile in the headphones that it can drive, also the tubes are a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Good luck on your quest.

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #634 of 831
  Hey guys, I'm really looking for a good amp for my 225s. I know I don't need one, but I want to future proof myself for later purchases. Suggestions? I'm open to both SS and cheaper tubes. I'm looking for amps around the $100 mark, so I know most tube amps in that range are regarded poorly. 

little dot I+

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #637 of 831
  how does the sr225e compare to the fidelio x2? could someone do a comparison?

I have a X1 and the SR-225e, they are very different sounding.  The X1 is a little better all around but the SR-225e has that crisp clear Grado sound that I found very refreshing.  They make good complimentary headphones but after building some SennGradso's I find it hard to justify the cost of either of these @ $200, but that's just me, hope this helps.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #639 of 831
  the sound from my left driver started to cut out after a couple of years, there's probably something wrong with the cable, I guess I'll have to recable

Fairly easy to re-cable, I've been installing SMC (Hifiman) connectors to make the cables removable on my SR-225e, RS2e and 3 SennGrado's.  Been using Mogami cables as its lighter than the stock which I feel are too heavy as they can move the headphones around if you move your head.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #640 of 831
  Fairly easy to re-cable, I've been installing SMC (Hifiman) connectors to make the cables removable on my SR-225e, RS2e and 3 SennGrado's.  Been using Mogami cables as its lighter than the stock which I feel are too heavy as they can move the headphones around if you move your head.

Hey David,

Curious about the SMC connectors on Grados.  Can you post some pics?  I'm about to send a couple of mine to be shortened and reterminated.

Thanks!

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #643 of 831
  Thanks David,

Those look great!!!  Any change in the sound due to the thinner / different cable?  Brighter?  I have an HE-300 and have several cables for it.  Would be nice to swap with Grados.

Cheers!!

I've been using Mogani, Canare, Forza, and some reasonable silver plated cables from china to build my own.  I don't hear a difference in any of the cables that I've tried on the SennGrados but there was some very slight dynamics increase with the AKG 533 when I did a re-cable using Canare star-quad.  I've also installed SMC connectors in my TH-600, installed dual mini xlr in my DT-990 premium, changed the 3 pin connector to 4 pin in my AKG-K7XX.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #645 of 831
What fake leather or velveteen ear pads can I find on eBay that fit the SR225e?

Sennheiser PX100, or Sony DRBT101 or anything?

Thank you for any leads you can give.

Well, Ear Zonk has some but from reading several posts, they seem to change the sound in a negative way.  I have not tried them though.

http://www.amazon.com/EarZonk-Long-Life-Leatherette-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B00OM21W1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438881893&sr=8-3&keywords=ear+zonk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back