Grado SR225 Thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #616 of 831
I demo'd the 325e right next to the 225e when I was deciding.  Money wasn't really an issue, as I was simply going to buy whichever was better.  I felt that the build quality of the 325e was better, but it was heavier.  It was a *tiny* amount more sibilant.  Otherwise, I thought they were basically completely equivalent.  I went back and forth, because I did like the look of the aluminum better than the SR225 plastic cups, but in the end I just wasn't a fan of the way the weight felt on my head, and the tiny amount of sibilance in the SR325 was enough to push me into the 225e.  Both were huge advances on what were already very highly regarded predecessors though.  

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #617 of 831
Thank you both for your thoughts. I think you've tried to help me in my quest.

@funkymartin,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about source. I can hear that my 225i/(e) would be something much better on a vastly better source. (That is in fact another option rather than upgrading the headphones.) I have been looking very closely at the Naim UnityQute 2. I could run S/PDIF from my Meridian Explorer (ME) straight into the Qute, for gaming and files on the PC. It has DAB, and USB pen drive for playing audio files. Desktop sorted then.

The ME is described as having a smoother sound generally, which can be better for longer listening sessions. I thought that might be a wise choice with Grado. I wasn't necessarily right though. The ME paired with already warm sounding Grado may have gone too much the other way. Having said that I still get a crystal top end and I defy anyone that criticises the 225e treble. Rock music zips along and does all kinds of amazing stuff. Therefor I am happy I made a good choice.

Maybe I should have just bought the Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 for an even more energetic and exciting listen. (It is after all awarded best DAC up to £300.)

However equally getting a great headphone would have a similar effect. It would improve all the devices which I plug my headphones into.

I also get the impression that the 325 does everything slightly better. (I will address fjrabon's post next which questions that.) Quite a few folk have said the same as you. It seems even more poignant since you are comparing the 325i with the 225e.

@fjrabon ,

Thanks again. Weight of the SR325e I never thought would be an issue. The 225 is most definitely a light wear, but the 325 is only 40g heavier.

More sibilant is hard to understand, since the 325e is rapturously praised for its new top end. It's something I will look out for a soon as I get my hands on some 325e though. (I think that will be my choice.) The RS2e may be a better headphone, but I can't judge how much better. I am relying on pro-reviews. Since there are not any RS2e pro-reviews, I put stock in 'better the devil you know' with the 325e.

I half expect the 325e to be just that bit clearer and more revealing. A touch of excitement I wish for over my current set up. It would be interesting to hear what you think if you went back and auditioned the 325e now. Since you have grown accustomed to the 225e through owning it, the 325e could be heard through fresh ears. (As mentioned above I struggled to hear difference between the better ME, and the on-board audio. Going back now is clear as daylight.)

Did you ask how much run-in the headphones were that you auditioned. I am wondering still about your experience of 325e sibilance. Just maybe they needed some more time on them. SR325e owners do sing their praises, and some even prefer the brighter more treble hot 325is.

Finally though as said, the 225 was never that hotly regarded. That was always surprising given the rest of the SR range all scoring five stars. I have the box of my SR225i with carry case bundle, and on it is Hi-Fi Choice 4/5 stars 'Recommended'. What Hi-Fi only ever gave the original SR225 4/5 stars. Only users seem to like them, but then we might be biased, haha. Personally I like the SR225i/e, but I can see where it needs upgrade. My theory is it's because the plastic cups can not handle the extra speed and clarity from the 225 upgrades. Over the 125 I mean, i.e. the grill and closer matched driver.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #619 of 831
  Thank you both for your thoughts. I think you've tried to help me in my quest.

@funkymartin,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about source. I can hear that my 225i/(e) would be something much better on a vastly better source. (That is in fact another option rather than upgrading the headphones.) I have been looking very closely at the Naim UnityQute 2. I could run S/PDIF from my Meridian Explorer (ME) straight into the Qute, for gaming and files on the PC. It has DAB, and USB pen drive for playing audio files. Desktop sorted then.

The ME is described as having a smoother sound generally, which can be better for longer listening sessions. I thought that might be a wise choice with Grado. I wasn't necessarily right though. The ME paired with already warm sounding Grado may have gone too much the other way. Having said that I still get a crystal top end and I defy anyone that criticises the 225e treble. Rock music zips along and does all kinds of amazing stuff. Therefor I am happy I made a good choice.

Maybe I should have just bought the Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 for an even more energetic and exciting listen. (It is after all awarded best DAC up to £300.)

However equally getting a great headphone would have a similar effect. It would improve all the devices which I plug my headphones into.

I also get the impression that the 325 does everything slightly better. (I will address fjrabon's post next which questions that.) Quite a few folk have said the same as you. It seems even more poignant since you are comparing the 325i with the 225e.

@fjrabon ,

Thanks again. Weight of the SR325e I never thought would be an issue. The 225 is most definitely a light wear, but the 325 is only 40g heavier.

More sibilant is hard to understand, since the 325e is rapturously praised for its new top end. It's something I will look out for a soon as I get my hands on some 325e though. (I think that will be my choice.) The RS2e may be a better headphone, but I can't judge how much better. I am relying on pro-reviews. Since there are not any RS2e pro-reviews, I put stock in 'better the devil you know'.

I half expect the 325e to be just that bit clearer and more revealing. A touch of excitement I wish for over my current set up. It would be interesting to hear what you think if you went back and auditioned the 325e now. Since you have grown accustomed to the 225e through owning it, the 325e could be heard through fresh ears. (As mentioned above I struggled to hear difference between the better ME, and the on-board audio. Going back now is clear as daylight.)

Did you ask how much run-in the headphones were that you auditioned. I am wondering still about your experience of 325e sibilance. Just maybe they needed some more time on them. SR325e owners do sing their praises, and some even prefer the brighter more treble hot 325is.

Finally though as said, the 225 was never that hotly regarded. That was always surprising given the rest of the SR range all scoring five stars. I have the box of my SR225i with carry case bundle, and on it is Hi-Fi Choice 4/5 stars 'Recommended'. What Hi-Fi only ever gave the original SR225 4/5 stars. Only users seem to like them, but then we might be biased, haha. Personally I like the SR225i/e, but I can see where it needs upgrade. My theory is it's because the plastic cups can not handle the extra speed and clarity from the 225 upgrades. Over the 125 I mean, i.e. the grill and closer matched driver.

The RS2e is a very different sounding headphones compared to the SR series, the highs are smooth and never get sibilant, the bass is extended and has more weight to it.  I got my RS2e after I got the SR-225e since I enjoyed it so much.  After I got the RS2e, that's when is started to notice that the SR-225e gets sibilant with certain genres of music and also the amp I'm using, it does not pair well with the SS amps that I have (Asgard2, Magni, and Teac AH-01), others may say otherwise.  To control the highs I've installed some dynamat and felt into the cup which makes a big difference, really elevates the SR-225e, almost to the RS2e.

I didn't like the SR-325e either, way to bright and sibilant most of the time, sent it back to Amazon after 1 week and got the SR-225e.

I've also built 3 SennGrado's and due to the variance in the PX-100ii drivers they all sound different.  Also have three different types of wood for the cups, Rosewood, Mahogany, and Walnut.  The best of the three (Walnut cup) is a big step up from the RS2e, much better bass extension, mids are typical Grado, highs more extended and clear, never sibilant/harsh.  The worst of the three is about the same as the RS2e, bass has more punch and extends lower than RS2e, the mids are a little recessed and highs are not as extended or clear.  These also need more juice to sound good, using a DAP like X1 or X3ii is not quite enough, they really start to shine with my Project Ember or Lyr2.

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #620 of 831
Wow - still shocked at people not liking the SR325e. I have read of the 325e being returned in favour of the 325is. Plus people loving their 325is.

When you look at the frequency response of the 225 and 325 you see they are going to be lightly treble heavy. The 225 peaks in a slightly different place than the 325, so that could explain the difference people are hearing. The tool on this page can be used to compare. http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php

The SR225i/e which I have, I hear slight sibilance on it. Ignoring the DAC, I had the opportunity to compare it with the SR125i. The 225e is clearer in the 'S' sounds than the 125i. Oddly, I never noticed any sibilance on the 125i until I got the 225e. I just loved them and listened to them.

Thanks though. It's strange how you read two different accounts of the RS2e bass compared to the 325e bass. Some say the RS2e has more while others say the opposite. Having said that though, some say identical Grados can sound remarkably different.

The graphs of the RS2e show it having a little more bass than the 325e. Whereas the graphs in Innerfidelity show it to be about the same.
(http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads)

Personally I am not overly interested in more bass, but don't mind a fraction extra. I am interested in not having the bass roll off though. The sub bass rolls off on all Grado (on-ear) apart from the SR60x, the GS1000x, the PS500x, and the PS1000x. (I think about the PS500e but the bass quantity and slight treble roll off makes me cautious.) It leaves me stuck in the middle.

Having said all that, the original RS2 does review exceptionally well. The iterations generally from the original series through the i-series to the e-series have not made radical frequency response changes. Therefor I would anticipate the RS2e to be quite spectacular. 

(NB Modding headphones is way off my radar at the moment, so I would not think about operating on mine. It's an interesting thought though, as you could be hinting that my best option is to buy some walnut cups.)

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #621 of 831
Just added the Turbulent Labs Onyx Manta to my SR225e, and loving it so far:

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #623 of 831
speaking about sibilance, i noticed a lot of it when i bought grado sr325e.. i returned immediately and decided to get Alessandro ms1e instead.

however im thinking now to get Grado sr225e instead as they say its less bright..but im afraid its just as sibilance as sr325e
frown.gif

so i need help in deciding between Grado sr225e or Alessandro ms1e?

BTW, im upgrading from grado sr80e( with quarter mod/ L cush) and my source is Fiio x3ii

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #624 of 831
  speaking about sibilance, i noticed a lot of it when i bought grado sr325e.. i returned immediately and decided to get Alessandro ms1e instead.

however im thinking now to get Grado sr225e instead as they say its less bright..but im afraid its just as sibilance as sr325e
frown.gif

BTW, im upgrading from grado sr80e( with quarter mod/ L cush) and my source is Fiio x3ii

I used to have the SR225 and didn't consider them too bright, moving up to the wooden cup Grados is much nicer though (PS or RS series) they manage to keep the detailed treble without being as fatiguing as the SR series.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #625 of 831
SR225 is a better headphone than the MS1, it has more high end resolution than the MS1, but i wouldn't consider it a bright headphone per say.

As above, my advise is to put your money into a second hand pair of RS1's and forget about the SR range.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #626 of 831

frown.gif

The Fiio X3ii is a little on the bright side IMO, the original X3 is much better but the buttons and interface aren't that great.  I had the SR325e and quickly returned it as it was too bright for me.  Got the SR225e and it was much better but the next month got a RS2e and its even better. 

I also built 3 SennGrado's and have to say that they are a bargain with outstanding sound, better than the RS2e for even the worst of the 3.

Another thing to look for when reading someone's impressions is to see what DAC/AMP is being used as this will make a difference.  For me I use either a Bifrost or UD-301 for my DAC and have a Lyr2, Project Ember and BH Crack for amps.  For the Grado/SennGrado I usually use the UD-301 and Ember to drive them.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #627 of 831

frown.gif

I’m in a similar situation considering SR225e and SR325e.  I currently own MS2e, which, while very nice, is a little softer and less edgy than the pure Grado house sound, so I’m considering selling and replacing it.  My goal is to get an optimal headphone for rock & metal while minimizing excessive brightness.  I have heard SR225e and liked it, but have not heard SR325e.    

Three or four reviews here and in other areas of the net from people who own or auditioned both SR325e and SR225e have suggested the SR225e is actually superior to the SR325e for rock.  I’m leaning toward SR225e because of this and also its lesser treble (there have been some conflicting reports suggesting SR325e is actually not as bright, but I find it hard to believe).  The downside of the SR225e is that it would possibly feel like a downgrade from MS2e.  Also wondering if SR325e would be a better “all-rounder."  I’d keep both SR225e and MS2e but not sure I can justify it.

RS2e gets fantastic reviews but I don’t hear it mentioned as a pure rock can – people tend to gush over its treatment of acoustic instrumentation – so that along with the extra $200-300 has kept me from considering it.

Any input would be appreciated, although I figure my situation is too nit-picky/personal so the answer is probably that I just need to bite the bullet and pick one or try to audition both side-by-side.  Using Little Dot 1+ and Audioquest Dragonfly DAC.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #628 of 831
Wow..thanks everyone for the help, i think i will buy sr225e or RS line if i got good deal

The Fiio X3ii is a little on the bright side IMO, the original X3 is much better but the buttons and interface aren't that great.  I had the SR325e and quickly returned it as it was too bright for me.  Got the SR225e and it was much better but the next month got a RS2e and its even better. 

I have to agree, i remember original fiio x3 sounded fuller and richer than fiio x3ii..i have to a/b them to be sure and sell one of them, weird how everyone reviewed the unit said its better than the original.. And all seems to agree its highs are subdued :/

One thing i miss is the hardware EQ..

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #629 of 831

I’m in a similar situation considering SR225e and SR325e.  I currently own MS2e, which, while very nice, is a little softer and less edgy than the pure Grado house sound, so I’m considering selling and replacing it.  My goal is to get an optimal headphone for rock & metal while minimizing excessive brightness.  I have heard SR225e and liked it, but have not heard SR325e.    

Three or four reviews here and in other areas of the net from people who own or auditioned both SR325e and SR225e have suggested the SR225e is actually superior to the SR325e for rock.  I’m leaning toward SR225e because of this and also its lesser treble (there have been some conflicting reports suggesting SR325e is actually not as bright, but I find it hard to believe).  The downside of the SR225e is that it would possibly feel like a downgrade from MS2e.  Also wondering if SR325e would be a better “all-rounder."  I’d keep both SR225e and MS2e but not sure I can justify it.

RS2e gets fantastic reviews but I don’t hear it mentioned as a pure rock can – people tend to gush over its treatment of acoustic instrumentation – so that along with the extra $200-300 has kept me from considering it.

Any input would be appreciated, although I figure my situation is too nit-picky/personal so the answer is probably that I just need to bite the bullet and pick one or try to audition both side-by-side.  Using Little Dot 1+ and Audioquest Dragonfly DAC.

Have you heard your MS2e on other amps than you LD-1+?  I used to really like the Project Ember for driving the Grado's but am finding that since they are easy to drive the headphone amp in the UD-301 actually sounds better.  I think that many of the differing reviews are due everyone having different hearing and also the chain of equipment that is used like source, DAC and AMP which can play a large roll in how a headphone sounds.

If you are looking for a headphone that does rock and metal I would look at a DT-990, I have mine driven by a BH Crack and its a really nice pairing for rock/classic rock, the highs are a little more airy and extended to me.

The RS2e is a great sounding headphone but for the price you can build 3 SennGrado's which IMO are better sounding.  Another experiment that I've done and like is I took the drivers from a SR60i and put them in walnut wood cups and they are better than the RS2e IMO, bass is more extended and tight, mids about the same and highs a little smoother, did a little tuning with dynamat and depth of driver.  You can find used 60i for $40, wood cups for $70-90 and you are good to go, just something to think about.

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #630 of 831
Hey guys, I'm really looking for a good amp for my 225s. I know I don't need one, but I want to future proof myself for later purchases. Suggestions? I'm open to both SS and cheaper tubes. I'm looking for amps around the $100 mark, so I know most tube amps in that range are regarded poorly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back