Grado SR225 Thread
Mar 31, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #301 of 831
Excellent, congratulations
biggrin.gif

What's the type of wood you have used?

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #302 of 831
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #305 of 831
I only recently got my sr225; not sure I like'em yet. They're mighty uncomfortable, so I'm looking for some pads to ease the pressure on my poor, pierced ears. Upon my search I stumbled upon these. Has anybody tried them, by any chance?

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #306 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only recently got my sr225; not sure I like'em yet. They're mighty uncomfortable, so I'm looking for some pads to ease the pressure on my poor, pierced ears. Upon my search I stumbled upon these. Has anybody tried them, by any chance?

The SR225s are very comfortable with the GS1000 pads. There is a thread for the MS1000 that shows modding for the GS1000 pads. Some mention that the midz are recessed without the distancers or liberators. I use mine as they are and they sound great to me. I listened to the original Grados in the 80's and walked away from them for 2 decades because of the comfort factor. Once I saw the GS1000 pads I came back. Really like them now.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #307 of 831
I just finished woody for my 225 also recabled by moon-audio.
here is the pic..

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #308 of 831
Does the wood improve the sound. Is it noticeable?

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #309 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished woody for my 225 also recabled by moon-audio.
here is the pic..

How did you do the Headband?

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #310 of 831
Quote:

Hi Hot Pixel - this is funny because I just wrote a post about how comfortable the 225s are. I've owned mine for years now and the pads grow softer over time. In the meanwhile looking for alternative pads is not a bad idea, although they change the sound - whether bad or good is a matter of preference. More importantly, the metal band under the pleather cover is very easy to adjust to get the clamping force just right. Bending it was initially scary, something I tried after reading a thread here long ago, but its not doing any harm, trust me, and it's made a world of difference as far as comfort goes. Keep going looser until it's hardly pressing against your head. If it's too loose, it's easy to make it clamp a little harder, so experiment until you have it right.

I have mine very loose indeed, because this is the best situation for me for longer term listening and in no way harms the quality of the sound (imo). Once this is done and the pads are soft enough (or you find replacement pads to your liking) they are very comfortable indeed.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #311 of 831
Well... to be completely honest I'm having some trouble keeping my head still when I'm listening to my collection at work, so the clamping is a bit of a necessity I'm afraid
biggrin.gif

I ordered the 414 pads yesterday (12$ grrr), so can't wait if that improves things a bit.

Something weird I noticed though: if I pull back one cup -or take of the headphone alltogether- the ear feels... I dunno... stuffed/under pressure I guess? Like there's a finger in it or like I'm underwater. Is this the 'fatigue' everyone keeps yappin' about?
And it can't be the volume. I even get it at around 30% of total output value.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #312 of 831
Quote:

Well... to be completely honest I'm having some trouble keeping my head still when I'm listening to my collection at work, so the clamping is a bit of a necessity I'm afraid
biggrin.gif

I ordered the 414 pads yesterday (12$ grrr), so can't wait if that improves things a bit.

Something weird I noticed though: if I pull back one cup -or take of the headphone alltogether- the ear feels... I dunno... stuffed/under pressure I guess? Like there's a finger in it or like I'm underwater. Is this the 'fatigue' everyone keeps yappin' about?
And it can't be the volume. I even get it at around 30% of total output value.

That's fatigue. 30%, depending on the amp, can be way too much volume.

I was on a JVC DX1000 thread and told them my GS1000s were more comfortable than my DX1000s. Well that was a real "crowd pleaser", a couple days of lively discussion ensued. The GS1000s, and Grados in Gerneral, weigh a fraction of what th behemoth JVCs weigh. I don't have the weights handy but it was staggering, like 160 gm. difference!!

Once you get the padz correct, to me all the Grados are much more comfortable canz than anything else out there. This, considering the fact I was a Grado Hater for 20 years, is remarkable even to me!

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #313 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you do the Headband?

I used Velcro with soft lather.
I’m thinking about making few more pads with different materials.
Since it is Velcro, I can change the pads as I like.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #314 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by hakjk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used Velcro with soft lather.
I’m thinking about making few more pads with different materials.
Since it is Velcro, I can change the pads as I like.

Hi,
Is that some kind of "thin" velcro?

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #315 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
Is that some kind of "thin" velcro?

yes, little white material you see in pic is a velcro and black material is the padded lather strip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back