Grado SR225 Thread
Jul 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #331 of 831
So, I have to ask. Any SR225/225i owners out there contemplating a pair of HF2s?

What did you think? At the price, is it really twice the headphone of the 225? Seriously, I really have a hard time thinking that would be the case. But, what do I know, I have never heard the HP2. I have heard the 225 though! I know exactly what they bring to the table.

jk

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #332 of 831
I heard it at CanJam and was very impressed. My SR225s have apuresound recable but still the HF2s seemed to be in a different league, although I didn't get a chance to a/b them with the 225s/memory is never great with ears.

I would have bought a pair if i hadn't already gotten two high-end pairs of HPs in the last year. The HP2s seemed a bargin at the price.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #333 of 831
I'm absolutely satisfied with my TC7520-->SR225i, no upgraditis other than a yearning to start on the DIY route and eventually end up with an M^3 with a sick case.

EDIT: OK, I'm curious about the HF-2. There, I said it.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #334 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I have to ask. Any SR225/225i owners out there contemplating a pair of HF2s?

Yep. Ordered the HF-2 on the 1st of June and just sold my 225's. I haven't heard them HF-2's yet but what can I say, the Upgraditis Bug bit me yet again.
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #335 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What did you think? At the price, is it really twice the headphone of the 225? Seriously, I really have a hard time thinking that would be the case. But, what do I know, I have never heard the HP2. I have heard the 225 though! I know exactly what they bring to the table.

jk

I've been through the Sr 60/80/125 and 225 and AM VERY VERY anxious to receive my HF-2's ordered back on MAy 29 - I have yet to hear a negative review, and they seem to be an EXCELLENT value for the price - must have's and definitely WILL be keepers.

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #336 of 831
I don't remember whether or not I've posted in this thread, but I've had my Grados for a few months and thought I would throw my opinion in --

I am using liberators, which make a very noticeable difference imo.

I moved from HD555's, and I seriously love these headphones. As someone else mentioned a few posts up, my next step is moving into DIY -- aside from that I think I am very happy with these and don't see myself upgrading anytime soon at all (except maybe to the RS2 / RS1 if I see a smoking deal on a pair).

Certainly appreciate these headphones!

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #337 of 831
I've happily used my SR-225s for the past 3 years. They're the only pair of headphones that have survived the sell-offs that have occurred since I've joined Head-Fi. Even though I'm buying the HF-2s, the SR-225s will always be a part of my collection.

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #338 of 831
Well, i got my 225i's today.

after trying the senn 595 i decided to give this a shot... i know they're not broken in yet, but i'm getting the signs of fatigue after about 20 minutes of using them. i'm using my ipod touch as my source atm, unamped because my amp hasn't arrived yet...

the pads aren't that comfortable, but i chose these, because apparently you all have found many different solutions to that. I also bought the g-cush to try out, but i'm reserving jugement on that for when the amp comes. i tried them out for a little bit, and you could hear the bass definitely more. The highs were tamed out a bit because of the difference, but the mids were lacking... i think that might be improved when my amp arrives.

are there any solutions for comfort with the stock pads? (mods, or would they become less warm/uncomfortable with time?) i think i'm going to try the 414 pads (if anyone's got a spare already coin-modded, pm me, i'd be willing to buy some to try)

as far as fatigue, i think it's the highs, again, i think (read hoping) that the bass will even out with amp/burn in.

but the quality and clearness is definitely there! when listening to "i will posses your heart" by deathcab, the vocals kicked in and i actually turned around in my chair to see if someone was trying to spook me!

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #340 of 831
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif

after trying the senn 595 i decided to give this a shot... i know they're not broken in yet, but i'm getting the signs of fatigue after about 20 minutes of using them. i'm using my ipod touch as my source atm, unamped because my amp hasn't arrived yet...

the pads aren't that comfortable, but i chose these, because apparently you all have found many different solutions to that. I also bought the g-cush to try out, but i'm reserving jugement on that for when the amp comes. i tried them out for a little bit, and you could hear the bass definitely more. The highs were tamed out a bit because of the difference, but the mids were lacking... i think that might be improved when my amp arrives.

are there any solutions for comfort with the stock pads? (mods, or would they become less warm/uncomfortable with time?) i think i'm going to try the 414 pads (if anyone's got a spare already coin-modded, pm me, i'd be willing to buy some to try)

as far as fatigue, i think it's the highs, again, i think (read hoping) that the bass will even out with amp/burn in.

but the quality and clearness is definitely there! when listening to "i will posses your heart" by deathcab, the vocals kicked in and i actually turned around in my chair to see if someone was trying to spook me!

They will settle down somewhat in time, but, in my experience, not dramatically so. What you choose as an amp will go along way in defining the final presentation. Although, I like them just fine out of the iPod using 192k AAC files. Of course, most of that listening is in a non-critical environment (i.e. outside in the backyard enjoying the day).

Overall, I find them best in measured doses. but, YMMV. I listen to them for a bit and put them away. Then, I find myself in a Grado mood that requires I break them back out again. A beguiling experience to say the least.

jk

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #341 of 831
Quote:

Coming from Senns, the Grados are gonna be real scorchers.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #342 of 831
yea, they were harsher...

after about 5:30 hours on pink noise and i'm feeling a difference. i don't know if it's just me, but i'm definitely feeling a difference.

the bass opened up a little bit, evening it out more. because of this i'm finding i'm listening to it with less volume too...
g-cushions give it a pretty wide soundstage, but that's all i've been using ATM, because i decided to try and wash the stock ones with shampoo like previously stated somewhere in this thread...
They're taking FOREVER to dry! i can't get much comparison!

i don't want to speak too soon cause i just put them on, but buyer's remorse is pretty much gone!
tongue.gif

liking it. I'm listening to MGMT now (super harsh highs on that IMO) and i'm not even flinching... i guess i've gotten used to it.

Am i doing the burn in right?
i downloaded a 20 min clip of pink noise, and have that running at 50% of my macbook (pro)'s output.

is there a better way? and do i need to follow a pattern? (ex: 1 min white 20 mins pink 2 mins brown ~ repeat?)

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #343 of 831
Quote:

i downloaded a 20 min clip of pink noise, and have that running at 50% of my macbook (pro)'s output.

is there a better way? and do i need to follow a pattern? (ex: 1 min white 20 mins pink 2 mins brown ~ repeat?)

Well, everyone has there own methods. I hooked them up to a medium-volume iPod on 'random' and threw them into a closet for a couple of days.

While I am not the biggest believer on a long break-in period, I do believe a couple of days certainly cannot hurt and might actually help expose any potential mechanical/physical problems.

EDIT: I just used whatever music was on the iPod at that time. I figure they should be broken in the way you expect to use them.

I rarely, if ever, listen to pink noise. :wink:

jk

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #344 of 831
Quote:

yea, they were harsher...

after about 5:30 hours on pink noise and i'm feeling a difference. i don't know if it's just me, but i'm definitely feeling a difference.

the bass opened up a little bit, evening it out more. because of this i'm finding i'm listening to it with less volume too...
g-cushions give it a pretty wide soundstage, but that's all i've been using ATM, because i decided to try and wash the stock ones with shampoo like previously stated somewhere in this thread...
They're taking FOREVER to dry! i can't get much comparison!

i don't want to speak too soon cause i just put them on, but buyer's remorse is pretty much gone!
tongue.gif

liking it. I'm listening to MGMT now (super harsh highs on that IMO) and i'm not even flinching... i guess i've gotten used to it.

Yo should hear the Bass come on and the Midz get richer in 24-48 hours. I would be careful using Noise for Grados to burn in. Their drivers are more fragile to me than other drivers.

In my sig is a Burn in tool if you want to use noise. It has a time cycle. I would set it to do 10 mi on and 4 min off or something like that.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #345 of 831
I'm still impressed by my SR-225, keepers for sure. I know said I would never sell them before and then I did but I'm pretty sure I won't anymore( for real this time )
tongue_smile.gif

I burned my grados in with pink noise for 200 hours when I got them before I started using them and I have to say it never makes me fatigued. To me , it's an incredibly smooth sounding phone and I'm using it either straight out of my sound card or my sony A828

Users who are viewing this thread

Back