Grado SR125 vs SR225 for all round music?
May 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

juntom10

100+ Head-Fier
I'm debating between 125 and 225..

I read some reviews.....and i see both are all good cans...

Since i listen to almost everything (most of genres..)

which one would be better?

As an amplifier, i have millett minimax :)

May 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 18
I'd say either get the SR80i (best bang for the buck of any Grado, in my opinion) or the SR225i. The SR125i really isn't much different than the SR80i and it costs more.

May 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 18
Forgot to mention, both the SR80i and SR225i respond well to amping. The only Grado I've heard that doesn't improve with amping is the SR60.

May 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 18
What I have read and through listening (I have a SR60i) there is not a very noticable difference between the SR60i, SR80i, or SR125i but when you go to the SR225i there is a difference.

If you are looking between a 125 and 225 I would go with the 225 or even a 60 if price is a factor.

May 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 18
225 has better and thicker cable compared to 125 - it is a huge jump from SR 60 ...

They (all the way up to RS1) all have same house sound - they have smallish soundstage and excellent for almost everything except those that have a large soundstage - like symphony or something recorded in Church or with a lot of ambiance ...

In any case 225 is the sweet spot in the entire grado line ... I have owned every grado can in the current production line (except 125)  ... I am going back to 225 - they provde the most bang for the buck ...

Cheers

May 3, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 18
I prefer the 125i to the 80i. I think that perhaps the 'i' is important since imo the sr125i is a slightly more relaxed version of the old 125. In comparison to the sr80i, the treble is slightly more focused and it has a good solid bass - very similar to the 80i. It also comes with foam pads rather than bowls.

I rather like the sr125i and feel that it is always put down by its siblings either side of it. However, imo it is an improvement on the SR80i and also comes with a much thicker cable that the cheaper one.

May 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 18
I talked to a Head-Fier and he said there is no difference between the SR80 and the GS1000 except the cable. Based on that statement i would get a pair of SR80 with a Cardas cable like he has, only if you listen to bassy music, rock, etc.

May 3, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
I talked to a Head-Fier and he said there is no difference between the SR80 and the GS1000 except the cable. Based on that statement i would get a pair of SR80 with a Cardas cable like he has, only if you listen to bassy music, rock, etc.

Quite a bold statement to claim there is no difference between the two models. Do (s)he actually own both?

May 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

I found this hard to believe. name your sources, now!

I love my Alessandro MS1 more than my SR80i, And I've always though that whenever I decide to take the leap to higher end, It Will be with a Grado. so i was thinking Alessandro MS2 or Pro.

May 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 18
Id stay away from grados lower end cans if you want something that can mesh with most genres of music, the grados dont really do that in my opinion

Im assuming your budget is around $150 so with that, i would head over to ebay or headroom b stock and snag a set of beyer dt880s, for the same price of the grado they crush them in every way

May 4, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Quite a bold statement to claim there is no difference between the two models. Do (s)he actually own both?

He said he owned everything up to the 325's and he owned the RS2's as well. He stated that the difference was merely in the cables. I thought that was a little off as well, as i know from Sennheiser, Beyer that they dont put a different housing on there and say it done. He said the SR80 with a Cardas sounds as good as the top-tierer Grado's he's heard.

May 4, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 18

Since when do cables make that much of a difference?

They don't.

May 4, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
He said he owned everything up to the 325's and he owned the RS2's as well. He stated that the difference was merely in the cables. I thought that was a little off as well, as i know from Sennheiser, Beyer that they dont put a different housing on there and say it done. He said the SR80 with a Cardas sounds as good as the top-tierer Grado's he's heard.

Well I don't know about him but I have MS1 and SR325i withe me right now and heard the MS2 before. They don't sound identical. but they do have the same kind of cable - that say a lot.

May 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

Since when do cables make that much of a difference?

They don't.

I guess it's just personal preference 

Quote:

Well I don't know about him but I have MS1 and SR325i withe me right now and heard the MS2 before. They don't sound identical. but they do have the same kind of cable - that say a lot.

How do they sound compared to one another? 

May 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
How do they sound compared to one another? 

They all share the same Grado sound signature, bright, fast, good for rock but poor for classical. MS1 is much less detail sounding than SR325i or MS2 of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back