Grado SR-60i Impressions (from a hi-fi noob/jazz and classical listener)
Jan 27, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 21
a classy fake marble fake suit....yea.

Quote:
So would the Sennheiser's be a bearded professor in a cheap suit?

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 21

Quote:
From what I understand, the SR-60i's are designed to be modded. See Bilavideo's Grado Mod Thread. They're cheap enough to where you wont feel too uncomfortable opening them up ( I still havent opened my Sr225's, not balls yet sigh).

Also, try using the Grados with Eric Clapton Uplugged or any Acoustic Album (Alice in Chains). IMO that is where they truly shine. I own a pair of AD700s also, and while more comfortable than the Grados (not by much, the grado headband is VERY bendable and necessary for comfort.), they dont quite have the detail of my 225i's.

AFAIK, the 225 and sr 60 use the same driver. Its all a matter of modding.

Well, in a day or two I'll have the AD700s right next to my SR60s (before those get boxed and returned) so it'll be fun to compare. I can totally see the Grados being great for the music you mentioned, but probably not in a way that lines up with my preferences. There's a brand of distance coupled with immersion that I really would like out of a headphone - not having tried many, I don't know if it's possible. But the two I have tried that were pretty close were the HD555/95, which I would scoop up in a second if I had more faith in their build quality, and didn't have such an easily-clamped melon.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 21
Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I went from AD700 to grados, and initially I was very put off by the harshness. I suppose that I wanted, no needed, to like the grados so I put in a lot of effort to make myself enjoy them.

After many hours of listening the harshness faded (well, I learned to turn the damn volume down lol) and I began to understand why people fall in love with grados. Whether its the placibo effect or the post-purchase justification, I am not sure.

Some day you may re-purchase the SR60s and try modding them. It seems awfully fun, but might require some work which can put a lot of people off.

I'm sure some day my ears will require more neutral headphones and I will scoff at ever listening to the colored' sound. Until then I will enjoy these grados because that is where I have been lead by the great headphone god in the sky.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #19 of 21
My speaker set-up, actually, has what I consider a similar sound signature to the Grados, very forward with the same sparkling, high-midrange emphasis. I love it in a speaker set-up, yet it turns me off when the speakers are strapped to my head, for some reason.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 21
Dude......may I suggest something from AKG or fostex, got my AKG k500 today and its......beautiful..................

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 21
At first they are really tight on your head but you can bend the metal headband apart pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back