Grado RS1 vs Hifiman HE-5
Sep 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone, I've narrowed my search for new cans down to the Grado RS1 and the Hifiman HE-5. My musical preference is mainly indie/rock (Vampire Weekend/The Foals etc) and Ambient/Post-Rock (Sigur Ros/Riceboy Sleeps/Jonsi etc), though I also listen to a bit of death metal/folk/acoustic also.

I am after an aggressive sound, with beautiful mids and punchy bass. I have grown to enjoy the ATH-AD900s that I own now other than the fact that they just lack the punchy bass which add a little bit more aggression, punch and fun to a song.

What does everyone think? What's the headphone for me?

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 4
I own Alessandro MS Pro and HE-5 recabled with Black Dragon V2. It is a very hard decision for me to pick just one of them - I like them both. With proper amplification both could make you happy. MS Pro are easier phones to drive, they have typical for Grado non-linear character at upper mids which make them great for guitar music. You are involved in music immediately. HE-5 with Black Dragon are more on the neutral side and ‘at second glance’ offer more valuable information than Grado and presume more serious attention to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back