Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Sep 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #212 of 1,221
hi all,  i own an "original" pair of PS-1000s, and I love them - I know they switched over to chrome cups later on (I prefer mine, even with the occasional black spots), but can someone provide a photo of the "new powder coated finish?"  Is it different than what I have?  Thanks.

Alex

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #213 of 1,221

Quote:
I agree.  I've heard every Grado model except the RS2 (just haven't run into one), and IMO there is definitely variance.  Also, as with any higher end headphone, synergy with the amp and/or source makes a big difference.

I do believe that Grado shares the same driver among multiple models though, and the difference in sound between similar models is the rest of the design, (as well as "cherry picking" for the best drivers).  Anyone who's tried to mod a headphone or transplant a driver knows that the driver is only half of what determines the sound.

Also, this is very common among headphone manufacturers, so it's not something to get bent out of shape over.  For example, the Sennheiser PX100 and HD485 are the same driver (one portable frame and one full size).  I believe the PX200 also has a full size cousin.  The HD590 and HD600 are the same driver.  I would bet if you took apart the whole Sennheiser line, you'd find that they use half a dozen driver designs over a couple of dozen headphone models.  (The HD800 driver isn't used anywhere else that I know of though.  That would result in cannabalism of their highest end piece.)

The short version is, that Grado designs headphones much like every other company in the market, and like most other companies they have their house sound.  If you (the community you) like it, you like it.  If you don't you don't.  But getting upset over it is a waste of blood pressure pills.

Sharing a similar driver and the same driver are different things however.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #214 of 1,221

Quote:
Sharing a similar driver and the same driver are different things however.

Even if they use same driver, the sound can be very different due to housing, resonance and damping. HD580 and HD600 use same driver, but they sound bit different because of the shape/material of grill are different.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #215 of 1,221

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also don't see why haters are getting so bent out of shape, you don't like them fine, don't buy them.

No, they have to come in here and throw a tantrum.  This is the internet after all. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #216 of 1,221
Been out of the loop and missed the product announcement/(p)reviews for this. All I can say is that its been a while since Grado have released a new headphone, and this would seem to be more evolution (de-volution ?) than revolution. That said, its good to see that they recognised that the PS1K's price tag would deter all but the seriously hardcore (and those with a trust fund). 

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #218 of 1,221
will the ps500s come in a pizza box like the other grados?

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #219 of 1,221

Quote:
will the ps500s come in a pizza box like the other grados?

Even though I am also in Grado haters camp, I don't think you have to intentionally start yet another fight.

Of course like PS1000 and all of Grado headphones except some of first RS series, they will be on pizza box, but do people care anyway? :p

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #221 of 1,221
There are plenty of headphones with very nice boxes with huge price tag. But as soon as you wear them, you would realize you have been robbed.

Some of remarkable headphones I've heard even did not have any box (they were OEM headphones.. Just headphones and plastic bag.)

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #222 of 1,221
Jesus people it was just a question, what type of packaging will it come with, stop the pointless snarky comments and just plain bitching at everyone for every little detail.
Yes they will most likely come in a Pizza box.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #224 of 1,221
yea, but the wooden boxes with the old RS1's were nice. I'm just gonna build one for my rs2's haha.

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #225 of 1,221
Pizza box, please.  It is the lolGrado tradition.  =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back