Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Aug 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,186 of 1,221
Also @Oracle
, which pads do you use on your PS500? The regular bowls? Just popped them on, and might change my mind once again, these bowls sound very good!!

I use the L-Cush but have tried the flats and G-Cush but to my ears the L is the sweet spot.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,187 of 1,221
New PS 500 owner here and I prefer them to my RS1i.
Better bass, sweeter mids and the treble is just right.
Also fantastic synergy with the Fiio X5.

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,188 of 1,221

I also felt the same way when I compared my PS500 to my RS1i I owned for 60 day's then returned them.  When the e series came out I purchased both the RS1e and PS500e to compare and ultimately kept the PS500e.  Owning both the PS500 and PS500e you could say I'm a fan.

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #1,189 of 1,221

I also felt the same way when I compared my PS500 to my RS1i I owned for 60 day's then returned them.  When the e series came out I purchased both the RS1e and PS500e to compare and ultimately kept the PS500e.  Owning both the PS500 and PS500e you could say I'm a fan.

Do you get any sound differences between your both ps500 (with & without e) ?

Thx.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #1,190 of 1,221
Do you get any sound differences between your both ps500 (with & without e) ?

Thx.

Hi casper,

Yes I do hear differences between the two, especially now having put approximately 100 hours on my PS500 and around 60 hours on the "e" version.  When going back and forth the things that stand out most with the PS500e are the more forward mids, tighter bass and overall a little more clarity.  Also if I keep the volume knob at the same level when switching to the "e" it's noticeably louder "more efficient", which is why I use it mainly with my mobile gear while traveling and keep the PS500 at home.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,191 of 1,221

what the difference between the  two?  i was thinking of buying the RS1i
redface.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,192 of 1,221
I know that this is a PS500 thread, but after reading many reviews concerning the new ''e'' vs ''i'', I truly believe that my findings are applicable to the whole ''e'', and not specific to one model.

It's not surprising that the new ''e'' serie plays louder that the outgoing ''i'', they not only have larger drivers, but it also sticks out putting it closer to the ear and I believe that the ear pads are shaped differently too.

I have compare the PS1000e to my old PS1000, and came away preferring mine over the new model, especially as far as comfort goes, because with the ''e'' , my ears were actually touching the drivers, and the new pads were putting too much pressure on my ears.

I did however liked the increased sensitivity, and the added bass extension, the more intimate mids were a mixed blessing, being better for small venue recordings, and an handicap for large venues recordings. But for the rest, soundstage, treble extension, and decay, the old PS1000 still gets the nod.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,194 of 1,221
Sep 30, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,195 of 1,221
So far, all the pictrues I've seen of the ''e'' serie, have their drivers sticking out from the cuo, not much, but I'm sure it makes a difference, I know for a fact that the PS1000e, are louder than the old ones.

I have owned the PS500 for about two weeks, but I never got used to their bass extension and treble rolloff. I took them back, and gought the PS1000. Now if I had known then, what I know now, i would have tryed the G-cush on the 500, that way, the bass would have lightened up a bit and the treble would have gotten a dose of sparkle, and as a bonus, the bigger pads, would have expanded the soundstage, win, win, win, if you ask me!.

Let me know what you think, is this all to good to be true?, am I missing something here?

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,196 of 1,221
from my experience, it’s too good to be true. some people really like the PS500 with the G cush but I felt the sound was disjointed. the bass was a little too thin and the treble was too tizzy. there wasn’t as smooth a transition form one frequency to another.

soundstage was nice, though, but the overall sound wasn’t as good as the PS1000. just didn’t sound as natural

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,197 of 1,221
Thanks LC, in a selfish way, I like your responce, becaus I'm not sure I would have like to find out that for the price of the G-cush, I could've gotten 90% of the PS1000's sound out of the 500.

I do however, stand by my opinion, regarding the fact, that the new pads are mostly reasponsable for the difference between the old PS1000, and the new ''e'' model.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #1,198 of 1,221
  Thanks LC, in a selfish way, I like your responce, becaus I'm not sure I would have like to find out that for the price of the G-cush, I could've gotten 90% of the PS1000's sound out of the 500.

I do however, stand by my opinion, regarding the fact, that the new pads are mostly reasponsable for the difference between the old PS1000, and the new ''e'' model.

For the record, I found zero differences in the pads between those that came on the PS1000e and PS1000...they were identical in look, size. I even have an older pair of bagel pads here (for back ups) and side by side, I can't tell the difference? Just my data points here in Toronto. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,199 of 1,221
M.H., don't forget, this is Grado we're talking about here, I think that they simply put what they had left of the old earpads on the first batch of the ''e'' serie, and now, we are starting to see some with the new pads.

I'm not the only one to have noticed this difference, and I prefered the sound of the PS1000e with the old pads, so my advice would be that ''e'' serie owners try the old pads.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,200 of 1,221
  M.H., don't forget, this is Grado we're talking about here, I think that they simply put what they had left of the old earpads on the first batch of the ''e'' serie, and now, we are starting to see some with the new pads.

I'm not the only one to have noticed this difference, and I prefered the sound of the PS1000e with the old pads, so my advice would be that ''e'' serie owners try the old pads.

LOL, good point. Good thing I've got 2 pairs of old pads then. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back