Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
May 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,143 of 1,221
But, just to be on the safe side, you should probably buy or borrow a pair of the old PS500s and do some blind testing.  You'll never really know unless you do.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,144 of 1,221
  Hi everyone,

This is my first post to Head-Fi. I upgraded my headphones from the Grado SR325is to the Grado PS500. When I got the PS500 I realized two things I was not expecting. First, they have stock "red drivers" from Grado instead of their normal ones. Second, they were terminated with an 1/8 headphone jack instead of their normal 1/4 for their higher end models. I do not know why my PS500 have different features then the normal PS500. I wonder if it is an upgrade. They do sound great and I like them better than my SR325is. I hope someone can provide me with more details.

Dave

So I guess I'm not the only one. This seems like a new change for the PS500. I guess Grado finally realize that it's easier for people to use a 1/4 adapter than an 1/8 adapter. Either way I'm glad that someone else chimed in on the change of the PS500.

May 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,146 of 1,221
  If you are looking for something more neutral to the PS500, go for the RS1. It's worth it!

Took a two and a half hour trip today for an one hour auditioning of a PS500 and RS2i. Unfortunately the retailer did not have the RS1i in stock but am already positive that the PS is not for me. That bass is really not what I'm looking for. No way Jose. It takes away way too much from listening to music if you know what I mean. Glad I found that out before taking up an used one. Must say that I wasn't particularly wowed by the RS2i either. Without comparing to the SR80i I didn't think I was listening to something special or better. Even when I did some back and forth with my SR80i I had a hard time discovering differences. In the end I'll say there's a curtain less sonically speaking, a little more clarity, a little better defined instruments, somewhat better comfort maybe going from flats to bowls. Also pleasantly surprised that the Grado's are not too harsh for me.

May 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,149 of 1,221
Compared to the other two I mentioned, definitely too much for my taste and for the type of music I want to use if for. Acoustic, jazz, vocal, that type of stuff.

For those genres, I definitely reach for the RS1i. For more pop-ish or synthesized stuff, I put on the PS500. Precisely for the extra bass!

May 9, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,151 of 1,221
I can see that very well hsubox. For my synths I already have the TH-600 fortress. A very different beast. Would you happen to have experienced both the RS2i and RS1i's? Kind of wondering if it's worth the stretch.

Unfortunately I've not heard the RS2i.

May 30, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,152 of 1,221
I just got my PS500s today. They came with the 1/8 mini connector and a 1/4 adapter. Seems like that's how the new ones are coming now. I wonder why they made the change? They don't seem to mention it on their site. Both of my amps are 1/4 but they work fine with the adapter. The sound quality of these headphones is great. I'm definitely keeping them.

May 30, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,153 of 1,221
I would be curious to see if it's just the PS500'S that they're changing the cable from the standard 1/4 to the 1/8 connector... For the average consumer this move makes sense since the majority of consumer audio equipment out there from computers to telephones and MP3 players seems to only be available with the 1/8 mini jack. Unfortunately old acronyms like myself still prefer quarter-inch headphone jack.. Sad to say, but at this point I think we both seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs....

May 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,154 of 1,221
I would be curious to see if it's just the PS500'S that they're changing the cable from the standard 1/4 to the 1/8 connector... For the average consumer this move makes sense since the majority of consumer audio equipment out there from computers to telephones and MP3 players seems to only be available with the 1/8 mini jack. Unfortunately old acronyms like myself still prefer quarter-inch headphone jack.. Sad to say, but at this point I think we both seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs....

"For the average consumer this move makes sense since", but I would argue that the average consumer wouldn't be buying the PS500 and so this move by Grado seems strange to me.  All my equipment that I use my PS500 with use the 1/4 connector and I would never use these headphones with my portable gear because of the noise they let in and out.  I'm just glad mine came with the 1/4 inch connector and I would be curious to see if they start using this 1/8 inch connector on there other high end models also.

May 30, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,155 of 1,221
I was disappointed when I first saw the 1/8 connector on my new PS500s. I have 2 headphone amps with 1/4 connectors. I don't use my phone for music at all. I decided to give them a chance. I think the sound quality is awesome. I don't want to return them over this one issue. I wonder if it is just the PS500s or if this is their direction overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back