Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Apr 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,126 of 1,221
It's been years since I last heard a Grado. Thought the SR-60 was terrible back then but my taste is changing and I'm becoming more fond of a little brightness or rather sparkle. The high region should be well represented. Now to get my bearings, is the quantity of the PS-500 mid-bass hump similar to the one of the HD-600? I find it to jump out a too much on the latter and would not want to end up with more of the same. Now that I think about it, the mids and highs on the PS-500 are more in the face which probably leads to a completely different signature. Am I on track here? Let's say I would like a Grado that's more neutral than the PS-500 but in the same price bracket. Should I look at HF-2? RS2?

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,127 of 1,221
Don't go by graphs, don't go by reviews, or the words of others... Trust in your own ears... No the PS 500s or not like other Grado's, nor were they ever supposed to be... And for that reason Grado lovers either love them, or hate them...There are no in between's with this model.. I've had my PST 500s for a month now they are burned in now, so I can finally hear them away I'm supposed to hear them. In the past I've owned a pair of SR 60s As well as a pair of SR 80s and at present I still own a pair of RS 2's. The Sr60 as well as the SR80's headphones were and are excellent buys for the money and each brought me many hours of enjoyment, but it wasn't until I listened to the RS2's that I really began to find what I was looking for in a headphone.. At that point I guess I was planning on sticking with the RS2's until either they or I died, whichever came first.. Unfortunately at that point I had an opportunity to purchase a pair of open box PS500's for an exceptional price so I figured I would give it a try he would they would like and later on I could always sell them for at least as much as I paid for them. In the past whenever I had talked to other people about these headphones they always told me the same thing. The PS500's sound muddy.. Look at the graphs...Stick with the RS2's or if you want to move up try the RS 1's...
After having these headphones for a month all I can say is I'm happy to report that, I am happy that it did not listen to the people advised me against these headphones. I like the richness and the warmth that I hear from these headphones I like the fact that there are little darker and sound a little different from the other Grado's . My RS2's have become the headphones that I use at work I bring with me on out of town trips but it home my PS 500 are my babies....

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,128 of 1,221
PS-500 is probably best-for-buck Grado ever made. For me, it sounds far better than RS1... probably the best sounding on-ear Grado headphones.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,129 of 1,221
  PS-500 is probably best-for-buck Grado ever made. For me, it sounds far better than RS1... probably the best sounding on-ear Grado headphones.

sorry, but the sr60 is the best-for-buck grado ever made. so much sound for so little dough. ps500 is very good, though...

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,130 of 1,221
Don't go by graphs, don't go by reviews, or the words of others... Trust in your own ears... No the PS 500s or not like other Grado's, nor were they ever supposed to be... And for that reason Grado lovers either love them, or hate them...There are no in between's with this model.. I've had my PST 500s for a month now they are burned in now, so I can finally hear them away I'm supposed to hear them. In the past I've owned a pair of SR 60s As well as a pair of SR 80s and at present I still own a pair of RS 2's. The Sr60 as well as the SR80's headphones were and are excellent buys for the money and each brought me many hours of enjoyment, but it wasn't until I listened to the RS2's that I really began to find what I was looking for in a headphone.. At that point I guess I was planning on sticking with the RS2's until either they or I died, whichever came first.. Unfortunately at that point I had an opportunity to purchase a pair of open box PS500's for an exceptional price so I figured I would give it a try he would they would like and later on I could always sell them for at least as much as I paid for them. In the past whenever I had talked to other people about these headphones they always told me the same thing. The PS500's sound muddy.. Look at the graphs...Stick with the RS2's or if you want to move up try the RS 1's...
After having these headphones for a month all I can say is I'm happy to report that, I am happy that it did not listen to the people advised me against these headphones. I like the richness and the warmth that I hear from these headphones I like the fact that there are little darker and sound a little different from the other Grado's . My RS2's have become the headphones that I use at work I bring with me on out of town trips but it home my PS 500 are my babies....

Good for you.

I'm a Grado lover and I don't hate the PS500.  I just preferred the 325is.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,131 of 1,221

I really like the PS-500s (owned them and the HF-2s), but I just keep coming back to the RS1s...
L3000.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,132 of 1,221

I really like the PS-500s (owned them and the HF-2s), but I just keep coming back to the RS1s...
L3000.gif

i hear you. my favorite of all the grados is the rs1 as well (well, aside from the hp-2). i'm building a woodified sr225, which i'm hoping will come close to the rs1. we'll see.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,133 of 1,221
I brought along the PS500s on my two-week work trip, and I think they are damn fine travel companions! The lower profile air chambers don't seem like they should make much impact in portability, but they really do. I keep them in a small case, but I'm glad they are constructed well enough that I don't have to be too overly concerned with their well-being like I know I would with the RS1s. Not that the RS1s are poorly constructed, but I'd never forgive myself if I messed up the wood cups.

Definitely happy listening.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,134 of 1,221
  *Now to get my bearings, is the quantity of the PS-500 mid-bass hump similar to the one of the HD-600? I find it to jump out a too much on the latter and would not want to end up with more of the same.
*Now that I think about it, the mids and highs on the PS-500 are more in the face which probably leads to a completely different signature. Am I on track here?

*Let's say I would like a Grado that's more neutral than the PS-500 but in the same price bracket. Should I look at HF-2? RS2?

Bumpity

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,135 of 1,221

Bumpity

The PS500 initially seems boomy, if you are accustomed to the Grado sound. But the bass is relatively clean. I did not find them to be very similar to the HD600 at all. The HD600s by nature are a dark headphone, and the bass from the PS500 makes it at first seem dark, but the clarity of the mids and highs (highs not being sparkly like some other Grados, mind you) actually just reveals the PS500 to be warm and bright...ish.

If you are looking for something more neutral to the PS500, go for the RS1. It's worth it!

May 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,136 of 1,221
Hi everyone,

This is my first post to Head-Fi. I upgraded my headphones from the Grado SR325is to the Grado PS500. When I got the PS500 I realized two things I was not expecting. First, they have stock "red drivers" from Grado instead of their normal ones. Second, they were terminated with an 1/8 headphone jack instead of their normal 1/4 for their higher end models. I do not know why my PS500 have different features then the normal PS500. I wonder if it is an upgrade. They do sound great and I like them better than my SR325is. I hope someone can provide me with more details.

Dave

May 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,137 of 1,221
The red drivers are nothing special. Nothing different about them other than they're red. It's simply a colour change. Nothing more.

May 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,139 of 1,221
  Hi everyone,

This is my first post to Head-Fi. I upgraded my headphones from the Grado SR325is to the Grado PS500. When I got the PS500 I realized two things I was not expecting. First, they have stock "red drivers" from Grado instead of their normal ones. Second, they were terminated with an 1/8 headphone jack instead of their normal 1/4 for their higher end models. I do not know why my PS500 have different features then the normal PS500. I wonder if it is an upgrade. They do sound great and I like them better than my SR325is. I hope someone can provide me with more details.

Dave

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570809/grado-ps500s-new-grados/1095#post_10473015

Sounds like it's just like this person's pair. Unless you bought them from him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back