Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Dec 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,051 of 1,221
hey guys
why these cans seem to be not so popular?
i want to buy some because i dont have enough cash to buy a hd650 with o2 and odac
so i plan to drive them right out of my ipod 5th(i also have a fiio e11)
how much more sq u think i can get by buying jds labs o2?
and can somebody please give me some review link of these(except from headfonia.com)
how do u compare these to ath-m50 ?
thanks a lot

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #1,053 of 1,221
  hey guys
why these cans seem to be not so popular?
i want to buy some because i dont have enough cash to buy a hd650 with o2 and odac
so i plan to drive them right out of my ipod 5th(i also have a fiio e11)
how much more sq u think i can get by buying jds labs o2?
and can somebody please give me some review link of these(except from headfonia.com)
how do u compare these to ath-m50 ?
thanks a lot

The PS500 sounds pretty good out of an iPod, but you will get a good bit cleaner sound from a DAC and headphone amp. I can't really quantify it, but it is definitely better with DAC/Amp.

I don't have any experience with the O2, so can't speak to that.

As for comparing to the ATH-M50. I prefer the PS500 by a lot. The M50 to my ears were more muddy overall. That said, realize that the M50 is a closed-back headphone with reasonable isolation, while the PS500 is open-back with very little isolation from the outside world. I was very impressed with the PS500's bass.... considering it is a Grado.

They are a good buy.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,054 of 1,221
I can't do the bright Grado sound anymore. My ears would end up ringing after 30-60 minutes. Thankfully the PS500s give me that classic Grado sound without the ringing in my ears.

THIS is exactly what I wanted to read! The 325is hurt my ears at my normal listening levels, but at lower levels they sounded awesome with the music I listen to. If the PS500 can do what the 325is did WITHOUT hurting my ears at my normal listening level, I'm all over it....

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,055 of 1,221

I can't do the bright Grado sound anymore. My ears would end up ringing after 30-60 minutes. Thankfully the PS500s give me that classic Grado sound without the ringing in my ears.

THIS is exactly what I wanted to read! The 325is hurt my ears at my normal listening levels, but at lower levels they sounded awesome with the music I listen to. If the PS500 can do what the 325is did WITHOUT hurting my ears at my normal listening level, I'm all over it....

Either the HF-2s or PS500s would fit the bill in that case. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,056 of 1,221

Either the HF-2s or PS500s would fit the bill in that case. 

+1

they are much warmer than the 325is. i enjoyed the 325is when i owned them, very detailed headphones, but also they where very bright and i couldn't listen very loud with them. 

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,057 of 1,221
Good to hear. It's too bad the HF2 are hard to find, but I kind of prefer buying new anyway. That way I don't have to imagine some guys sweaty pimple hairs on the earpads while I'm wearing them.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #1,058 of 1,221
Just received my PS500,
I upgraded from the 325is which I absolutely loved and were my fist Grado headphone.  The first time I listen to them I knew I found the sound I’ve been looking for, and between my HD650’s and the 325is I found myself going for the Grado far more than the Sennheiser for my music preferences.  But I couldn’t help but think how I wish I could get the bigger soundstage of the HD650 with a little softer treble for longer listening sessions.

So thanks to this thread and all the useful info for helping make the decision to purchase the PS500.  To my ears, this is a nice blend of the HD650 and 325is with a bigger soundstage and softer treble while still keeping that Grado house sound that I love.  Oh and a side note these pair nicely with the Schiit Bifrost and Asgard 2.

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,059 of 1,221
^^ Congrats ^^

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,060 of 1,221
Happy to hear that you are enjoying the PS500's. They certainly have a nice flavor to their bass response and overall tonal character. I love acoustic bass with them.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,062 of 1,221
I'm still loving my 80i's so much in fact I have wanted to move farther up the line. I thought about the RS1's for a while but then it was suggested I give the 500's a chance.

Somehow I think they may be right for me. I listen to classical, electronica and world music these days. Not much rock so to speak but it's in there in different ways.

I was pondering the 325 for awhile as an interim change but why not just go for the 500's??

I read the entire thread guys what a good time! Nice job and very informative for a new member. :wink:

Ron

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,063 of 1,221
I'm still loving my 80i's so much in fact I have wanted to move farther up the line. I thought about the RS1's for a while but then it was suggested I give the 500's a chance.

Somehow I think they may be right for me. I listen to classical, electronica and world music these days. Not much rock so to speak but it's in there in different ways.

I was pondering the 325 for awhile as an interim change but why not just go for the 500's??

I read the entire thread guys what a good time! Nice job and very informative for a new member. :wink:

Ron

I haven't heard the 325's myself, but from everything I've heard, they are very bright. I decided to go with 500's, and haven't regretted it. I will never even think of getting rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back