Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Jun 3, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #991 of 1,221
Quote:
I've been a Sabbath fan since the early '80s. And this album is very much in line with their early few LPs. I highly recommend heading over to iTunes and streaming it tonight for free. 

If you've been a Sabbath fan since the early 80's, you must be forthysomething, i just turn 47 yesterday and even though they weren't my cup of tea, i remember them being very popular in those days.

I just noticed that you own the LCD3 and 009, so i'm a bit suprised that you've bought the PS500, i really thought that the LCD3 and/or 009 would be the end all headphones.

I'm curious to know, is they're something that the PS500 do better than the LCD3 and 009?

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #992 of 1,221
Quote:

If you've been a Sabbath faN since the early 80's, you must be forthysomething, i just turn 47 yesterday and even though they erwen't my cup of tea, i remember them being very popular in those days.

I just noticed that you own the LCD3 and 009, so i'm a bit suprised that you've bought the PS500, i really thought that the LCD3 and/or 009 would be the end all headphones.

I'm curious to know, is they're something that the PS500 do better than the LCD3 and 009?

Yep...40 something it is. (Happy Birthday BTW). 

The PS500s cost less 
size]
...they do that better than the SR009s/LCD-3s. But after a year without a Grado in the house, I felt it time to get one. Like Jell-o, there's always room for at least one Grado in one's collection.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #993 of 1,221
Quote:
Yep...40 something it is. (Happy Birthday BTW). 

The PS500s cost less 
size]
...they do that better than the SR009s/LCD-3s. But after a year without a Grado in the house, I felt it time to get one. Like Jell-o, there's always room for at least one Grado in one's collection.

Although my time with the PS500 was brief, i really liked their 'tube' like sound, and forgiving nature.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #994 of 1,221
Quote:

Although my time with the PS500 was brief, i really liked their 'tube' like sound, and forgiving nature.

I can't do the bright Grado sound anymore. My ears would end up ringing after 30-60 minutes. Thankfully the PS500s give me that classic Grado sound without the ringing in my ears.

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #997 of 1,221
Ok. My earlier comments about it being too similar to the LCD-2? I'll retract those. Basically on top good quality recordings the PS500 injects a bit more life into them. Is it strictly accurate? Dunno. Never heard Muddy Waters play! (Maybe everyone should hear the respective artist live before they comment on the accuracy of a 'phone:p) BUT this phone is intolerant of rubbish. Hence it makes a great complimentary phone for the LCD, I love the Audeze for its ability to make everything sound great BUT, just sometimes I wish it would be more vibrant, and that's where the PS500 comes in.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #998 of 1,221
Quote:
Ok. My earlier comments about it being too similar to the LCD-2? I'll retract those. Basically on top good quality recordings the PS500 injects a bit more life into them. Is it strictly accurate? Dunno. Never heard Muddy Waters play! (Maybe everyone should hear the respective artist live before they comment on the accuracy of a 'phone:p) BUT this phone is intolerant of rubbish. Hence it makes a great complimentary phone for the LCD, I love the Audeze for its ability to make everything sound great BUT, just sometimes I wish it would be more vibrant, and that's where the PS500 comes in.

The PS500s are still quite coloured when compared to the LCD-2s. I prefer the LCD-2's more technically superior performance, but that said, the PS500s are definite keepers and a great change of pace.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #999 of 1,221
Spot on macedonianhero. Got Megadeth "Rust In Peace" on:) played various genres, and it sounds great with pretty much all of them. Gonna pop some g cush on next week.

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,001 of 1,221
@tony110.. No, the Audeze's are not boring at all. Just sometimes you want a bit more sparkle in the top end, a bit more speed in the dynamics. That's where a lower cost phone like the PS500 comes in handy.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,002 of 1,221
Quote:
@tony110.. No, the Audeze's are not boring at all. Just sometimes you want a bit more sparkle in the top end, a bit more speed in the dynamics. That's where a lower cost phone like the PS500 comes in handy.

? Speed, the LCD-2s are very quick headphones. The CSDs and Impulse responses show the driver to be very nimble (and quicker than Grados):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoPS1000.pdf

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #1,004 of 1,221
Quote:

I find it kind of amusing/amazing that we're calling a $600 Grado a "lower cost phone."
My first set of "high-end" speakers cost less than the Grados, and in the real world, people buy a 50-inch television for that kind of money. 
On a positive note, the Grados will outlast the TV and the next one, and the next one...

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,005 of 1,221
I find it kind of amusing/amazing that we're calling a $600 Grado a "lower cost phone."

My first set of "high-end" speakers cost less than the Grados, and in the real world, people buy a 50-inch television for that kind of money. 

On a positive note, the Grados will outlast the TV and the next one, and the next one...

Well said! I love my PS500 & RS1's but don't think of them as "low cost". I guess they seem like a bargain compared to the LCD though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back