Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman
very nice! i gotta find me a pair

Yeah, me too.....if I stumble upon an extra grand laying around also
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #17 of 107
Anyone know where I can order a PS-1?

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #19 of 107
Ya the PS-1 is in fact a very enjoyable headphone.You can just listen to the music and not be in pain afterwards from piercing highs.That's why i don't own a RS-1 anymore.

Pair them up with the right tubes and be set to have your socks knocked off
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 107
big thanks to everyone for these really nice responses. I never got back on last night to see them (wonder why), but starting my day with a few minutes under the PS1's and then reading these posts is just a super fine start to a Friday.

thinking of taking the afternoon off. there are time periods when I end up putting in crasy hours (12-14 hr days straight thru the weekends), and the payback (besides the obvious money, er i mean satisfaction) is I get to take some time back.

will respond to individual statements, questions and wisecracks when I'm not supposed to be workin'!

regards to all,

Jimmy

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
Anyone know where I can order a PS-1?

That's the $10,000 question, ain't it.

While you're at it, let me know where I can order new HP-1s, HE90s, and ATH-L3000s.

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #22 of 107
"That's why i don't own a RS-1 anymore.
Pair them up with the right tubes and be set to have your socks knocked off "

The RS1 pales by comparison to the PS1's. The reason I got them, is it is the only Grado I could find that didn't have some sort of sonic deficiency. In another words, in my opinion, it's the perfect Grado.

- augustwest

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 107
congrats Jim..
good to see the OP found some phones that work for him..as well as the rest of this new PS uprise of late. Seems like many are finding these for the first time in the last month..have fun with them all..

Wish I would have sold mine now, would have made a small fortune, or at least enough to pay for half of an HP-2 without guilt thereafter..
wink.gif

timing, timing, timine

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 107
Glad to see all the PS-1 love! They certainly are a special can and I am anxious to hear them out of an HR-2. Don't get me wrong I think the Singlepower does them solid but I've heard good things about the HR-2 synergy and look forward to comparing.

Are you using flats or bowls?
basshead.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Glad to see all the PS-1 love! They certainly are a special can and I am anxious to hear them out of an HR-2. Don't get me wrong I think the Singlepower does them solid but I've heard good things about the HR-2 synergy and look forward to comparing.

Are you using flats or bowls?
basshead.gif

I don't think the HR-2 will beat the Singlepower with the PS-1. Send iamdone a PM. He has an HR-2 and a Mapletree, and already likes the Mapletree better.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 107
Congrats on the Ps-1's. Maybe you need to start a new team called something like Ps-1 sniper crew.

I have a funny suspicion that members like Mitch (Braillediver) and RobN, the Ps-1s represent their headphone which is perfect for them.

The Ps-1's are a fine headphone and I must admit I do miss mine. I wouldn't of sold them had I had not been experiencing comfort issues with them. Which is ironic really since I have owned them for quite a while and only recently did I start experiencing pain when using them.

The question about the ps-1 bass is the most asked about aspect and probably puts people off or make them like more.

It comes down to amp matching. But to be honest that's exactly why I liked it as I do like my bass and with impact.

Only the l3k's is comparable wise with regards to quantity and impact.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #27 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by passerby999
Congrats, man!
Any comparisons to the GS-1000 and RS-1?
biggrin.gif

Here a THREAD robm321 and I posted about this comparison.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #28 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Only the l3k's is comparable wise with regards to quantity and impact.

I guess you haven't heard the GS-1000 then?

When comparing the PS-1 and GS-1000, the bass was very close in sound and impact and quality, and if you are a
basshead.gif
, put flats on the GS-1000, and you will have probably the most impactful bass that headphones offer.

I think analog'd has a great compliment to the K-1000s. The PS-1 offers a thicker sound, smaller (more intimate) soundtage, and deep bass that the K-1000s fall short on.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I guess you haven't heard the GS-1000 then?

When comparing the PS-1 and GS-1000, the bass was very close in sound and impact, and if you are a
basshead.gif
, put flats on the GS-1000, and you will have probably the most impactful bass that headphones offer.

I've not heard the GS1k or the L3000 but I have a hard time believing there could be a sweeter mid range than the PS-1 offers up, bass may be up for debate but those mids...
eggosmile.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #30 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I don't think the HR-2 will beat the Singlepower with the PS-1. Send iamdone a PM. He has an HR-2 and a Mapletree, and already likes the Mapletree better.

Yeah, Rob converted me to tubes. The first tube I tried in the Mapletree seemed to give too much bass and I wasn't sure I was sold on the whole tube thing but then I tried tube rolling and found a perfect match. The bass is now very controlled and not bloated and the mids just shine. They are very harmonic and rich.

The HR-2 is also excellent with the PS-1 and has no problem controlling the bass. I was using the ad797 and opamp627 with them. The ad797 has better texture in the bass but is not as detailed in the mids. The 627 is very lush in the highs and great mids. The Mapletree just seems to have an overall sweeter sound to it.

I probably should have done more testing but I love the looks of the Mapletree and have already put the HR-2 up for sale. I truely think the PS-1 would sound great with anything as long as it doesn't bloat the bass. With the Mapletree, 2 out of the 3 tubes I tried did have this problem and would probably be a perfect match for the RS-1. I even tried the PS-1 straight out of my ipod and was surprised at how great it sounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back