GRADO PS1 received. holy cow!!!
Sep 22, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #31 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I guess you haven't heard the GS-1000 then?

When comparing the PS-1 and GS-1000, the bass was very close in sound and impact and quality, and if you are a
basshead.gif
, put flats on the GS-1000, and you will have probably the most impactful bass that headphones offer.

I think analog'd has a great compliment to the K-1000s. The PS-1 offers a thicker sound, smaller (more intimate) soundtage, and deep bass that the K-1000s fall short on.

I have heard the gs1k's. I forgot to include them.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #33 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by passerby999
Congrats, man!
Any comparisons to the GS-1000 and RS-1?
biggrin.gif

no. too soon and they are not broken in so can't get into splitting hairs,
but they are nothing like the gs1000's and obviously of rs lineage.

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I think analog'd has a great compliment to the K-1000s. The PS-1 offers a thicker sound, smaller (more intimate) soundtage, and deep bass that the K-1000s fall short on.

i got under the k1000's for 2 seconds last night after the PS1's and it was clear I can't do a quick switch yet.
blink.gif
the ks1k'1 sounded soo thin it was shocking, but I know if I stayed under them for evn a few minutes I'd re-adjust and be able to hear them for what they are (amazing lil headspeakers)

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #35 of 107
bah, 1911 just put up his PS-1s on the sale forums. i'm calling him now - he was supposed to save those for me until i could scare up the scratch! however, i suppose his faith in me is quite low since i don't even bother visiting him to pick up a free pair of HHF-1s. i'm that cheap.
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I am anxious to hear them out of an HR-2.
Are you using flats or bowls?
basshead.gif

yes. er sorry, that was a lame joke, like when we were expecting our children and sombody'd ask "is it a boy or a girl"? I always said "yes it is".
I'm using both, mostly flats so far. My addiction to Grados started in pre-bowl time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth. so when I switch to flats somethin inside me goes "aaahhhh"...

Rays amps and Grado headphones love one another. It's just a fact of life. Now, all my phones and speakers sound amazing with the right tubes. That's because great tubes in great tube gear are great sounding, another fact.

But the HR2 is an incredible ss amp at any price. it is in the same league as my marantz model 7 pre, and my berning power amp (both tube pieces). I really think that when stuff is this good it all comes down to what rocks your boat (the flavour of one killer amp vs another).

I found that I cover my desire for tube and solid state with my two rigs. I needed to set up a system in another spot in my house, and the "cheap" way to do it was to split off my Naim cd5 and use a headphone amp. The woo audio 3 w/nos tubes was great with my senns, but with them gone I needed an amp that would sound great driving ANYTHING. so I got another RSA amp. there is no way in hell I could match what it produces sonically at anywhere near the $550 I paid for it here at head-fi. If I had the bucks I'd buy a raptor probably,and I'd be open to hearing other stuff, but Rays amps just sound so right to me, and like I said, in league with my big rig.

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #37 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
bah, 1911 just put up his PS-1s on the sale forums. i'm calling him now - he was supposed to save those for me until i could scare up the scratch! however, i suppose his faith in me is quite low since i don't even bother visiting him to pick up a free pair of HHF-1s. i'm that cheap.
frown.gif

Dude! weak! Is he getting rid of his Apogee too?

analog'd - I have an HR-2 on the way and Ray put a gain switch on the back for me
eggosmile.gif
I can't wait to hear it with my PS-1's and then switch over to my ES2's... overkill? ubetchya
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #38 of 107
Quote:

Nah, he still needs that for his OTHER pair of PS-1s he's keeping for personal use.
mad.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #39 of 107
Quote:

Nah, he still needs that for his OTHER pair of PS-1s he's keeping for personal use.
mad.gif

What the hell? What does he have a pair for each house or something?

analog'd - Yup, flats are the only way to fly with the PS-1
basshead.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #40 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by iban
Congratulations!

I've been following your PS1 story and now, finally, you can hear them for yourself - and you don't have to send them back!

What will your daughter say when she hears them play
evil_smiley.gif

It is never too much bass, this is tight, controlled, powerful bass, but not solid like a brick.

I am so h am so happy for you
biggrin.gif

thanks so very much!

the bass with my amps is just great.

ahh, my sammi will be in mucho love with them, but she's never greedy and just as she always loved her SR60's, even when she also used my RS1's; she will continue to adore her HF1's even while appreciating the PS1's. of course she knows she gets it all when I run off with the circus, and I am getting old, and she is in no hurry.
wink.gif
her only real concern was that I had not sold the k1000's to get these.

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #41 of 107
Quote:

analog'd - I have an HR-2 on the way and Ray put a gain switch on the back for me
eggosmile.gif
I can't wait to hear it with my PS-1's and then switch over to my ES2's... overkill? ubetchya
tongue.gif

you are gonna love that amp. congrats!!!

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #42 of 107
Quote:

What the hell? What does he have a pair for each house or something?

analog'd - Yup, flats are the only way to fly with the PS-1
basshead.gif

I thought even the RS-1 had too much bass with flats on a lot of music, I can't imagine the PS-1 with them. I even had to find the right tube just so I wouldn't have too much bass using the bowls. I got my RS-1 w/bowls and loved the sound and never like what the flats did to the mids and the loss of detail. I haven't tried the flats on the PS-1, but once again, I love how the bowls make them sound.

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 107
Quote:

mad.gif

as will smith said in bad boys 2
"dont hate the playa....hate the game"

yeah man...you are sad...i offer you hhf-1 and ps-1 and get no love....so instead to a worthy headfier they go!

Sep 22, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #44 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I have a funny suspicion that members like Mitch (Braillediver) and RobN, the Ps-1s represent their headphone which is perfect for them.

I think you're right.I thought the GS1000 with flats would be as good but I've come back to the PS-1's,although the GS1000 is more comfortable and much lighter

Sep 22, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
i got under the k1000's for 2 seconds last night after the PS1's and it was clear I can't do a quick switch yet.
blink.gif
the ks1k'1 sounded soo thin it was shocking, but I know if I stayed under them for evn a few minutes I'd re-adjust and be able to hear them for what they are (amazing lil headspeakers)

I know exactly what you mean about the thinness. I noticed the same. I prefer the HP-2 to the PS-1 because to me it doesn't add anything to the music (or very little), although they both have a very similar sound.

In the end, I think the K-1000 (stock cable no less) is better. There is something magical about it. But it can't give you what the PS-1 can. So you need them both
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back