Grado PS-1000 with leather Audeze Headband
Sep 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CARRION FEAST

100+ Head-Fier

Hello, I had the Jmoney V2 band on originally, which was fine but it always felt a little uncomfortable & loose so I ordered the new LCD-2 leather band with yokes and played around with it. I ended up leaving on the Grado rods & putting a little tape around them (to protect & widen them slightly). The Audeze guide has grommet screws -which IMO the Grados really should have (& metal instead of plastic would be great as well, esp considering the price), the Grommets allow the rods to be fixed firmly in place, although they need to be loosened to be adjusted- a small price to pay. Also they don't turn, which eliminates the cable twisting.
Most importantly, they sit more comfortably & feel firmer on my head. The tape looks a bit half-assed but I'll eventually source some small bolts for the base of the Audeze rods & use them instead- will just have to bend the plate where the guide attaches to the headband to stop the cups splaying straight out (the Grado rods are angled where the Audeze rods are straight). After considering many options, this seems to have worked out well, there's no permanent changes to the PS-1000 and I can enjoy their sound just that little bit better.
L3000.gif

Anyway, I hope doing this isn't too sacrilegious but I though it might be worth sharing for anyone else who has a similar view on the comfort of these otherwise amazing sounding cans- cheers!

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 15
I never felt the headband on the Grado. Even on the PS1000/GS1000i

So I did this:

Mine's a Liz Claiborne!

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
I've never heard of Liz Claybourne- that looks fantastic!

LOL hahahahaha You won´t hear about that brand in the audio world, mainly because it´s a fashion related brand. And that headband is a modified belt or something similar, like a bag stripe...

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

LOL hahahahaha You won´t hear about that brand in the audio world, mainly because it´s a fashion related brand. And that headband is a modified belt or something similar, like a bag stripe...

It's a belt that I stuffed the Grado band through.

Looks sweet huh? I even cut some of the strap holders for the pin plugs.

Find any belt that says "bonded leather" and that's two or more pieces glued together. Just stab a screwdriver through the center and apply.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
It's a belt that I stuffed the Grado band through.

Looks sweet huh? I even cut some of the strap holders for the pin plugs.

Find any belt that says "bonded leather" and that's two or more pieces glued together. Just stab a screwdriver through the center and apply.

Awesome job man...no need to spend hundreds to make them look nice. 
cool.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

Awesome job man...no need to spend hundreds to make them look nice. 
cool.gif

$10 coupon for JCpenny
$13 on clearance.
$3.24 total

I got a 44inch one for the most leather.

I'm thinking of doing the same to my T50RP. But Id have to figure how to take the band off.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
$10 coupon for JCpenny
$13 on clearance.
$3.24 total

I'm thinking of doing the same to my T50RP. But Id have to figure how to take the band off.

I see.. Dont forget to upload pics when done. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

I see.. Dont forget to upload pics when done. 

Might. Still don't know how. I'd have to stab the design a bit to find it's secrets

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Nice job Carrion. I really like the leather Audeze head band, and it looks like a nice match for Grados.

I shake my head at the thread hijack though.

I've been meaning to post it

No offense OP. Just came up

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
$10 coupon for JCpenny
$13 on clearance.
$3.24 total

I did the same on my T50RP long time ago. Simply just attach it as a second headband, using the inside screws of the original one.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 15
Nice job Carrion. I really like the leather Audeze head band, and it looks like a nice match for Grados.

I shake my head at the thread hijack though.

Thanks olor1n! I think Audeze are doing a fantastic job with the LCD-2's, if the Grado's hadn't worked out the headband would have gone straight onto my LCD-2 mark-1's, although, I don't mind the metal and foam that's on them now. As for the thread........:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back