Grado need to innovate new headphones
Jul 7, 2004 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

SNR

Head-Fier
My first thread here, please welcome me. I clearly aware that Grado has not released any new headphones for the last ten years or so in exception of PS1, please correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone know why? as far as I remember Grado has the prototype of some home theatre kind of headphone with a large pad and someone here from Head-Fi has mentioned it before but we have never heard about it anymore since then.

I have the SR60 for about 5 years and I like to upgrado
biggrin.gif
in a near future. I feel sorry for my wallet though
600smile.gif
so do I wait or upgrade now?

Jul 7, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 68
It doesn`t matter, i doubt they will bring out anything new anytime soon, or in 5 years for that matter.

Jul 7, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 68
They seriously need to consider competing with Sennheiser and other brands for comfort and build quality. They make a good product but a lot of people are thrown off by the fact that their products aren't comfortable or very sturdy.

Jul 7, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 68
They're making money. Lots of money. Most of their product line is well positioned and they have a network of 500 distributors world wide that, over time, are becoming easier and easier to deal with. I think they're happy and have no desire to change. Certainly, they are not interested in competing with Sennheiser for the Circuit City and Best Buy type of market. John Grado is not getting any younger. If I were him, I'd kick back and enjoy myself as my grey hair set in... but that's just me, I can't speak for him.

And besides, the PS-1 is a seriously good headphone! I've just listened to Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" (just the song "Tusk" not the whole CD) 3 times in a row at ever increasing volume with the PS-1's and I can't imagine Mick's drums getting any better than this!!!
basshead.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 68
I personally do not have any problem with the grados. I find them comfortable -- I have the SR60 which have the flat pads. And i have no problem with the design, in fact i actually like it.

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 68
They make the most seriously awesome looking piece of equipment that is on the market today. I think the the 60 & 80 are just so perfectly designed - they are classics. They'll look as good in 30 years time, as they do today.

Jul 7, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 68
while i definitely agree with you on improving the build quality of grados in general, i see no reason to further 'innovate'; grado already has it's 'house sound' down pat, and enough people - enough to maintain profitability that is - love them for just that.

cool.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 68
And since no one else has said it in spite of all the posts... Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet!

Jul 7, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by IdiotTech
I have the SR60 which have the flat pads.

SR-60's have comfies. The only way to get flats is to buy them from TTVJ.

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 68
all I would ask Grado to do is to make a circum aural version of the pads so taht one can have some comfort and not feel like there is a hot iron pressed on to the ear lobe.
it does start to huirt after 2-3 hours.
then again, I think the good point of that is that one takes them off and gives the ears sometime to relax from the pounding thereby reducing any chance of serious ear damage from prolonged listening.
buyt I sure wish there was a circumaural solution.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 68
And as mentioned above, the new sr40 prototype was shown at the NYC Swap Meet - the same innards as the old sr40, but in a wraparound design (behind the head) to appeal to the modern crowd.

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 68
I just wish they'd stop ripping off international customers - SR125's are not worth 295€. Not to mention the RS1... 1250€!

...whereas I could get HD555's for 105€, and the 595 cost about 160€
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 68
i love the grado headphone look, nothing in the world can beat it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back