Grado need to innovate new headphones
Jul 10, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Has it occured to any of you that maybe Grado is reasonably happy with the way things are?

No, Not when you have so many customers that are not happy with the quality and comfort.
These customers will generally not recommend these phones.
I know that I will allow others to audition and compare my Grado's to other phones I have. Also I will be pointing out the complaints I have. This has already happened on 3 different occasions. Twice I didn't have to point out anything, both didn't like the looks and hated the discomfort. Especially after comparing to Senns. The third thought he could deal with the discomfort because they sounded so nice. After about 2 hours he brought them back, couldn't take the pain. I know one of the three bought the 555's, not sure about the others.

Quote:

Also has it occured to you that maybe there are quite a few people who find Grado's perfectly comfortable?

No, when people have a chance to compare with almost any other phones it's obvious that you have to be hardcore to suffer thru the Grados.

Look, what can be Grado's cost of the vinyl headband. Maybe $3 ? The cost of the RS headband, maybe $6. Just put the RS headband on all units and spread the cost difference between models (not the retail cost of the bands). No need to stock more than 1 type of band should be some cost savings there.
Take 2 month's and find some decent foam. 2 more months to either make molds or find someone to make them for you.
He's not starting from scratch, so he must have some good ideas in his head.

Once this is complete he's eliminated 90% of the complaints.
Maybe then start working on customer relations and marketing.

Or maybe you're right and there perfect and the unsatified customers are wrong.

Jul 10, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
the marketing somewhat non-existent...... you really only find grados in audio specialty stores.... i can't think of any major chains that carry them where i live.....

there is one store in raleigh that carries them to the best of my knowledge, Audio Advice..... but that is a true hi-fi store (linn, musical fidelity etc)

Definition:
Marketing - delivering customer satisfaction at a profit.

yes they are making a profit, but they could be making a lot more with better marketing.....

4p's of marketing:

Product, Placement, Promotion, Price

I don't think they are interested at all in selling in Best Buy or Circuit City, if it is what you mean.
BTW you will not find Krell, Marantz, or any other high end brand there, not even a decent Sony ES or a good Denon.....IMO they are used to the way their products are distributed, and sold for years......BTW Big stores pay even less for your product, and maybe they are not interested in dropping their prices, in a production line that is not that big neither, and with a very expensive labor...

Jul 10, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #63 of 68
I agree with everything elnero stated.

CJ9, here is the problem...not every headphone is going to be right for every person. I find the HD580/600/650 to be a very clamping headphone. One which I can't wear for long periods of time. My wife feels this too. The Grados and their supraaural presentation makes them ideal for many. Myself and my wife included. I don't find the pads abbrasive in the least, I can wear any grado for 10 hours no problem. No overhearting, no itchings, no irritation. But I can't wear many Sony's because they get too hot, I can't wear many Senns because of the clamping etc.

No one needs to be "hardcore" they just need to be built differently. Guess what? 6+ billion folks on this planet, we already have it.

Grado builds a headphone with a specific design. It works for them and their price points. Could they do things differently? Sure, but that does not mean they are suffering in any way nor does it mean they should change. John may love his 2-10 million gross sales/annum and feel that he is doing a good enough job paying his employees, supporting his fam, tucking away enough for retirement and doing something he enjoys without having to hire a board of directors.

Not everyone WANTS to be the next IBM, Sony, MicroSoft. In fact, some folks just want to get by so they can spend their time doing what they love best. For John, it certainly doesnt' seem to be heading up a multinational corp. spending 100 hours a week making sure everything is running smoothly.

There are alternatives to Grados, HD650's have a nice dynamic sound that many a Grado fan will find similar to their beloved sound without being a Grado design.

In the end I wish each Grado could have a nice plush headband with metal everything everwhere like HP-1000's (RS-1's of course keeping the wooden cups), but this is not hte case, and so...the idea is to buy the ones that are built to the spec I want. Lucky for me I found what I wanted at decent prices. Ideally everyone who wants, will achieve on a scale I was able to.

Jul 10, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #64 of 68
While all the other headphone manufacturers continue to reinvent themselves. John and the boys just refine their drivers and sutle aspects in the products. I am in tune with headphone development and know what is used to make these headphones some of the best in the world. They continue to push their suppliers for the best quality that can be delivered.

Happy Listening,

Jul 11, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #67 of 68
I don't see where this imaginary argument has sprung up from?!!

Anyway... If Grado have a winning formula for themselves, then let them stick with it... Not everyone likes Grado, like for a fact I can tell you that I absolultey DETEST the SR125 now... doesn't stop people here buying them, and saying how great they sound...

...Everyone is different, and for those that find Grados uncomfortable... search for VWap pads, or TTVJs flats...

Jul 11, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #68 of 68
I have no comfort issues with my RS-1 bowl pads. I am very happy with my Grados.

Now that I have said that, I would still like to see Grado come out with a new phone for the U.S. market. Some more soundstage would be nice to try out, but what I really want is that Grado sound in a closed headphone.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back