Grado need to innovate new headphones
Jul 7, 2004 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 68
i think i read that if you buy the alessandros, they will pay for shipping even to europe. that's an MS-1 for $99 comparable to the rs125, free shipping, right to Europe! hmm i wonder if the Alessandros could be considered "new grados" lol.

Jul 7, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 68
i think they are probably the nicest looking cans i;ve seen.... hp-1000s, rs-1/2 and SR325

i don't particularly care for the plastic black ones though.....

the top of the line koss look really good too - dtr 770s and whatnot
and of course r10s, sennh orpheus and a few others compete for looks

my hp-1 is going to match my 12inch powerbook nicely too.....(one day it'll be a 17.... *keeps fingers crossed*)

i think if they chose a metal construction for all their cans that it wouldnt be so expensive to manufacture....

don't use a machined aluminum design since that is $texas to make... extruded aluminum and cast aluminum arent too expensive......

Jul 7, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR
I clearly aware that Grado has not released any new headphones for the last ten years or so in exception of PS1, please correct me if I am wrong.

This is true...give or take a year or so for the RS-1's but yeah, so what? Here is the thing...let's examine the best headphones overall (fan appeal/impressions from Head-fi).

We have the HP-1/2's...Grado's ancient first gen headphones. In my opinion, the best overall phones out there. Circa late 80's development, early 90's deployment.

How about the "King of Headphones" or the Sony MDR-10's...mid-80's production I believe. Still considered by most as the best headphone out there. Sony has made a lot of headphones since, and perhaps only the brand spanking new Qualia will compete with it or beat it, and if it does, my money is on the open design as the reason.

Not convinced oldies are goodies? Bring on the Omega II's, late 80's again I believe...still the best Electrostats around, as declared by more than a few, and some believe the best headphone bar non.

Bring on the RS-1's mid-90's! Pro reviewers begin acclamations! RS-1's are the best of the best, move over HP-1000's, step aside R10's and Stax, just die...RS-1's are IT! Some still believe this.

With all the new phones being created, AT line, Beyers, Ultrazones, Sonys etc...it seems the "old boys" are still the best of the lot. In fact, only the HD650's seem to be a clear victory over their older siblings. With the case of the PS-1's not everyone believes they are a step up, though most do, so Grado has answered the call for a new product and they can now wait another 10 years while other companies catch up
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #19 of 68
i LOVE the looks of the rs-1 i'd get the rs-1 instead of the ps-1 if i had 2000 to spend, the wood is just awesome

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 68
i think that there's something unique and very "true" in the sound of grados, and it's clear that they have a certain sonic vision.
however, i wish that grado would try to take the best characteristics of the house sound and combine it the best way possible with the things that grados lack; the imaging issues and the soundstage issue..
maybe as a seperate line or even under a different name (to keep their name only related to the current house sound).

i think that the RS-1 are very comfortable and the best looking headphones ever (especially in that wooden case.. it will never stop giving me the "wow").. but i didn't buy them for the looks
very_evil_smiley.gif

i think that a design that is only practical, yet uses quality materials on the way (i don't really understand what's wrong with leather and wood
rolleyes.gif
) has something solid in it that many modern designs will never have.. like all of these streamline/has-no-character cars from korea/taiwan/whatever...
like..comparing the CD3000 to these is a joke!

Jul 8, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 68
The Grado look doesn't bother me at all, I even like them for the retro look, they're also light and fresh enough for the summer.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not crazy about the build quality, they seem a bit frail and I treat them with silk gloves, but I could live with that. My main problem would be comfort. The flats sound the best and even though the texture is rough, I fixed this by rubbing sand paper on my ears, to develop calluses. This helped, I have tough ear lobes now, but the driver touches my skin directly, and it hurts.
frown.gif

Sonically I have mostly praises, nothing I own gets close to the sweet guitars. Drums are awesome too, although some soundstage could have helped. I like the Grado sound so much, that I've made my car sound similar to it... I was missing some midrange!
tongue.gif
Once it sounds grado-like, I turn down the treble and turn on the sub.... whoooeeeehh
cool.gif
It's my version of grado-heaven.
I think of selling them all the time, but I can't seem to part with them. We'll see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig
My main problem would be comfort. The flats sound the best and even though the texture is rough, I fixed this by rubbing sand paper on my ears, to develop calluses. This helped, I have tough ear lobes now, but the driver touches my skin directly, and it hurts.
frown.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 68
I think Koss,Senn,Sony.. etc. could:
easily duplicate the grado driver and vented diaphragm design
improve the grado cheap plastic construction (this is being kind)
replace the awful headband and cable ( the Y on my 225's is pinching the cable so bad that it is only a matter of time until it has to be repaired).
And still sell the phones for 50% less than Grado.

I like the Grado's because they are slightly more portable than the 580's and I do like the Grado Sound. These positive points are not enough to offset the discomfort and build quality. My next phones will not be Grado's.

I do not appreciate a company that has a good raw product but year after year makes no effort to improve upon the concept.The Grado idea seems ripe for the picking by some ambitious company. I do feel for the Grado employees that depend upon Grado to make a living.

I had to laugh/cry reading the earlier post regarding purchasing a headband upgrade directly from Grado.
Unbelievable that you can't tell Grado that you own a pair of 225's,325''s and would like to purchase (at full price) the halfway decent RS1,RS2 headband.

Mr.Grado can sit on the beach if he want's but I won't be paying for anymore of his Corona's.

This is only my opinion of course. I'll duck now....
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #24 of 68
Well for a small company like GRADO its hard to change the model line or even improve on their present line.

I mean it would cost GRADO labs the whole business if one set of headphones would fail. it would kill them almost instantly, all the money that goes into R&D, legal, marketing, distribute, outside source contacts, dealers, and thier name sake for all.

I think Grados way is if its not broke lets not mess around and make it worse.

there is alot of thought that goes into there stuff now, for example the headband....

if it was lighter it :WOULDNT: provide the comfort and reliabilty..if it was heavier then the cups wouldnt sit rite, or just seem out of place....

they probaly arent in a rush to make another flagship, cause if they did that then they would have to sell another amp. but we all know what happened with the ra-1 and the grados arent to happy with that niether.

I honeslty dont believe Mr. Grado is making loads upon loads of money on the stuff he has now anyway. by the time grado sells it to the distr then the dealer...what do you think the company itself charges?

remember alot in the audio world is all about middleman mark up, and its crazy at the level some stuff is. I think Grado is probably thinking he is barely making it on the price he gets for his stuff

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #25 of 68
ALSO

I would like to comment on the what if sony,senn or other made theory...

sony, senns and other headphone companies are gigantic companies that have a load of money and investors behind them....grado has 17 people just employed let alone anything else as far as outside investors go.

you shouldnt compare what grado makes (everything but sound wise) to the other companies. also thats what makes grado pretty speacil to.

if you look into startin up ur own headphone company and being as small as grado you would look at them in a new respect...atleast for making something that if not totally better but sonicaly on the same level as the big boys. even there lower end stuff is a good bang for the buck as far as comparing to the bigger companies.

Jul 8, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #26 of 68
Cost the Whole business to change or Improve?
You must be kidding......
rolleyes.gif

Money goes to R&D, what R&D if your product doesn't change?

If they are as you say , then the company is truly doomed and will fail. It can't afford to improve and it can't afford to change.

It only bothers me that they have a product with excellent potential and they do little or nothing to improve upon it either by reducing cost or providing a better product.

"if you look into startin up ur own headphone company and being as small as grado you would look at them in a new respect...atleast for making something that if not totally better but sonicaly on the same level as the big boys. even there lower end stuff is a good bang for the buck as far as comparing to the bigger companies."

Check out the guys building headphone amps...You can barely keep up with Xin's changes/improvements and he hasn't been in business for 50 years and I would imagine he is on a tighter budget.

I don't think they need to make drastic or costly changes. The main complaint I see here at head-fi is comfort and build quality. These two come up in almost every Grado thread. I think these issues cost them sells.

Seems that someone from Grado would be checking on the forums here to get a feel for customers likes and dislikes. Or better yet , a Grado rep could stand tall here and answer a question or two. There a small company and this would be a good opportunity for them to put there side of the story out.
Maybe they do have a good excuse but I would like to here it from them.

Only my opinion. Ok, ducking again...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig
My main problem would be comfort. The flats sound the best and even though the texture is rough, I fixed this by rubbing sand paper on my ears, to develop calluses. This helped, I have tough ear lobes now, but the driver touches my skin directly, and it hurts.
frown.gif

You are officially the most dedicated Grado fan.

Puts a whole to meaning to "Grato".

Yikes.

-Ed

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 68
cj 9 is completely correct

i would say a good number of grados higher end customers are probably head-fi users.

these are the headphones with the most overhead but also the most markup...... they make a ton off these products

retailers typically make more money off the cheaper products percentage wise

i think grado really could stand to improve their product a lot by listening to people on this board.... i would put money that some of the most intelligent minds in headphone hi-fi are on these boards......

these are also the people who will put up with things like discomfort for sound.....

the average consumer won't ...

grado really does lose a lot of sales due to comfort.... it's something they should change.....

with the exception of the 325, RS-2, RS-1, HP-1000s and PS-1

the rest of their products could use some major improvements in build quality as well........ .... you find comparable products of much better build quality at the same price points

Jul 9, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 68
As a compare and contrast how long was the Senn. HD-600 out before the HD-650 came along. My memory dims on this subject, but the point is maybe worthwhile improvements only come over time?

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #30 of 68
people are buying their phones no matter what, i wouldn't change a thing if i was him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back