Grado ms-1 as first headphones
Jul 26, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 81

Quote:

Jajabinker- I very strongly recommend that once you get you MS-1i's, try to compare them to any or all of the SR60i's, SR80i's, and the SR125i's if you can.  I think you'll be surprised by what you hear.

:)
i wish i could try any of them.
But im currently living in India(not many "audiophile" stores) and am an UG student.
Its impossible for me to get my hands on any of these great HP's without buying and shipping them from abroad. So i came to hed-fi!

Kevin Brown definitely got me thinking about getting the SR80i. From reading a few posts MS1i + negligent smoothness at mids and highs = Sr80i+ better bass @ the same price.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #17 of 81
Not FUD. lol I consider myself impartial and not loyal to any brand.

Quote:

You'll be fine.  Don't let the Grado haters confuse you with FUD.  You're paying a little more to buy local (They're $99 off the Alessandro website).  Check the vendor's return policy.  That way, if you don't like what you hear, you can bring them right back for a full refund (if it's available).  You'll be able to tell, within the first week, whether the MS1 is something you'll like.  It may not be long enough to get a full "burn-in," but I think you'll find, right out of the box, that these are sensational headphones.

Grado sells its headphones through a variety of authorized dealers, but it has an exclusive deal with Alessandro, which gets to make its own versions (using the same Grado drivers) under its Alessandro name.  The MS1 is very popular, so popular it has its own cult following.  The specs are analogous to those of the SR125, which sells for $150, so even though you're paying a premium for an MS1, you're going something analogous to the $150 SR125.  I've read posts from guys using these as recording monitors.  I've never read a post from an unhappy MS1 owner.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #18 of 81
Quote:

:)
i wish i could try any of them.
But im currently living in India(not many "audiophile" stores) and am an UG student.
Its impossible for me to get my hands on any of these great HP's without buying and shipping them from abroad. So i came to hed-fi!

Kevin Brown definitely got me thinking about getting the SR80i. From reading a few posts MS1i + negligent smoothness at mids and highs = Sr80i+ better bass @ the same price.

Isn't there any Grado local distributor in India? Maybe you can check the local headphone/audio forum?
Here is a review done by MD1032 on the lower-end Grados: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464298/review-low-end-grado-comparison-sr-60i-80-ms-1

Regarding the MS1 vs MS1i, when I had them both and compared them, there was a slight but noticeable difference in the mid-bass presentation. The MS1i has more midbass (good for rock, probably less good for instruments), while the MS1 sounds slightly clearer because there is less of it. Can't really say one is better than the other, it's just a preference thing.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 81
I had the MS-1i's, and I noted the lack of bass vs the SR80i's.  The MS-1i's I had sounded more like SR60i's than anything.

In another thread, someone said that manufacturing differences could also account for differences in how Grados and Alessandros sound.  They seemed to suggest that Grado's manufacturing process "moved around" maybe more than other headphone makers.  With that said though, I've listened to 3 pairs of SR80i's (two that I've owned), and they sounded alike to me.

One thing I do wonder though: I have never heard the original MS-1's; could they actually sound better than the MS-1i's ?

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 81
I stay in India too, in Mumbai. My first headphones were Grado SR225i's and I like them very much. I got my Grado's from a relative who was visiting from the US. Getting electronics in to India is a big pain due to custms, etc. It always better to have someone going abroad to bring them for you.

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 81
Bringing this thread back to life after a google search, I think the MS1 on the right looks very cute.

Quote:
From what I've heard, there really doesn't seem to be any major between the MS-1 and MS-1i in terms of sound, the MS-1i just has an extended housing compared to the MS-1. All in all, I'd say go for whichever one you think looks better. I've posted this image a few times on the forum, but it's still helpful for threads like this. MS-1i on the left, MS-1 on the right:

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 81
Thanks - that's what I needed. I've got about a $100 budgeted, so I was thinking about those, M50's and ... well I really don't know what else in that range.  I'll probably end up getting myself a pair of MS-1's.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 81

Quote:
Thanks - that's what I needed. I've got about a $100 budgeted, so I was thinking about those, M50's and ... well I really don't know what else in that range.  I'll probably end up getting myself a pair of MS-1's.

Quote:
Rather than start a new thread - I'll also add to this one :)

I want to get my son a pair of headphones for his studio recording and mixing classes.  Do MS-1's have a flat signature?

The m50s will work better at that application than the ms1s if for no other reason than simply being isolating. Plus if he's mixing, the treble on the ms1 will likely become pretty tiring after a while.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #30 of 81
MS1i's ROCK....

Is everyone listening to CD quality when giving their advice?

MS1i Vs the MS1
I has a larger chamber as you can see in pics....which would change the sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back