Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Dec 11, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #421 of 722
Just a question...are the new S2 and R1 drivers slightly thinner than the first version?  They're 46x8 mm right? Old was 46x9mm if I'm correct.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #422 of 722
  Would you say any of the Ypsilon drivers work well with flats? Were you just using the Grado flat pads TTVJ, or any other form of off-brand/modded flats?
Also, how did the flats distort the sound?

Thank for taking the time.

I used Grado's S-Cushions, the ones that comes with the SR80, they do not distort anything but they do not do justice to either the S2 or R1, both sounded so much better with the L-Cushions.

@Konstantin690, thanks for the impressions on the new drivers. Im looking forward to getting a pair later down the line when funds are more readily available for headphone purchases.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anytine mate, you can't go wrong with these.

Just a question...are the new S2 and R1 drivers slightly thinner than the first version?  They're 46x8 mm right? Old was 46x9mm if I'm correct.

That's correct, the new S2 and R1 are 1mm less in height, same diameter though so I had no problem fitting them into the same wood cups.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #423 of 722

I used Grado's S-Cushions, the ones that comes with the SR80, they do not distort anything but they do not do justice to either the S2 or R1, both sounded so much better with the L-Cushions.

Anytine mate, you can't go wrong with these.

That's correct, the new S2 and R1 are 1mm less in height, same diameter though so I had no problem fitting them into the same wood cups.

Hi Konstantin, and thanks for the effort & impressions! I got three questions :

1) How do you think R1 would compare against upper-range Grado's like PS500 or RS series in technical terms and sound signature? (If you have access to both)

2) If I remember correctly, you compared the previous Ypsilon drivers with Magnum V7. And I feel quite interested and excited that something was written about the detail level of Magnum V7 as "comparable to the 'HD800 club' headphones".
How is the detail retrieval of R1? Does it have more air and treble extension compared to Grado's?

3) What causes the superiority of R1 over V7 according to your opinion?

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #424 of 722
  Thanks for the reply, I'll let them burn in for a few more days before contacting EllevenAcoustica to find out what can be done.

anytime– You might also check the vent holes on both pairs of drivers. I checked mine last night & as it turns out– the first pair, from around six months ago has one vent hole open for each driver. The second pair, from roughly six or seven weeks ago has all vent holes covered. I might send Elleven Acoustica an e-mail soon, too & get some advice. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #425 of 722
Yes, the Ypsilon S2 has slightly more bass but it's tight and not boomy and the treble slightly more extended but the best of all is that the mids are less shouty (less upper mids and lower treble).
The Epsilon are very neutral. While the mids are still forward, it has no grado like shoutiness at all.
To my ears, the mids on the Epsilon R1 are very, very good. They are not thin or recessed but have that wonderful forward, open and clean sound. That's all I'm saying.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #426 of 722
  Hi Konstantin, and thanks for the effort & impressions! I got three questions :

1) How do you think R1 would compare against upper-range Grado's like PS500 or RS series in technical terms and sound signature? (If you have access to both)

2) If I remember correctly, you compared the previous Ypsilon drivers with Magnum V7. And I feel quite interested and excited that something was written about the detail level of Magnum V7 as "comparable to the 'HD800 club' headphones".
How is the detail retrieval of R1? Does it have more air and treble extension compared to Grado's?

3) What causes the superiority of R1 over V7 according to your opinion?

Anytime mate,
1) I do not own and I have only listened to "e" series Grado PS500e and RS1e briefly. so from memory, while the Epsilon R1 gives a much clearer insight in the recording and associated electronics itself they are much easier on the ears, more enjoyable yet they hide absolutely nothing.
2) I wouldn't call the Magnum V7 "comparable to the HD800 club", the V7 sounds slow, fat and ponderous in comparison.
3) The R1 sounds faster, more detailed and enjoyable, nothing draws attention yet nothing is missing, they are very, very hard to fault.

Yes, the Ypsilon S2 has slightly more bass but it's tight and not boomy and the treble slightly more extended but the best of all is that the mids are less shouty (less upper mids and lower treble).
The Epsilon are very neutral. While the mids are still forward, it has no grado like shoutiness at all.
To my ears, the mids on the Epsilon R1 are very, very good. They are not thin or recessed but have that wonderful forward, open and clean sound. That's all I'm saying.

Agree and agree about the less upper mids-lower treble, I'm also very happy that they are improved on their given sound signature and they didn't took a 180 degrees turn.
The Ypsilon S2 is still wonderful but the Epsilon R1 is one heck of a driver.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #427 of 722
Thank you guys both! 

I used many of the Grado's from SR80i from up to RS1i (not "e" series yet) and found them not resolving records enough for my tastes. I've been using Grado HF-1 since 2011, and while I find it to be lush and enjoyable sounding, it simply does not deliver the detail I want. Thinness & fatigue is another problem. 

I believe Ypsilon R1 would be my medicine. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #428 of 722

Anytime mate,
1) I do not own and I have only listened to "e" series Grado PS500e and RS1e briefly. so from memory, while the Epsilon R1 gives a much clearer insight in the recording and associated electronics itself they are much easier on the ears, more enjoyable yet they hide absolutely nothing.
2) I wouldn't call the Magnum V7 "comparable to the HD800 club", the V7 sounds slow, fat and ponderous in comparison.
3) The R1 sounds faster, more detailed and enjoyable, nothing draws attention yet nothing is missing, they are very, very hard to fault.

Agree and agree about the less upper mids-lower treble, I'm also very happy that they are improved on their given sound signature and they didn't took a 180 degrees turn.
The Ypsilon S2 is still wonderful but the Epsilon R1 is one heck of a driver.

Yes, I'm glad they improved it without changing it. I think the Yspilson was slightly shouty and grainy but with the S2 it got fixed.
I feel the Epsilon R1 somehow captured the "grado like" forward mids (that we all love) without all the shoutiness (that we all dislike). 
I have never heard the Jospeh Grado models but I imagine the Epsilon R1 to be the Joseph Grado sound signature. It's beautifully forward but neutral.  
It's not warm but it's not cold, flat and sterile either. Its clean, smooth and musical.

As for comparisons with Grado "i" and "e" models. I pretty much tried them all and I really think the Ypsilon S2 is better and the Epsilon R1 superior.
As for Grado comparisons, I mean all the SR and RS and GH models.

I was really liking the mids of the HD800 because I just did the superdupont mods and also the mids of the ZMF Vibro MK ll because I modded them also to my liking.
But now...the others cannot compete when it comes to the mids. The Epsilon R1 really shines when it comes to the mids.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #429 of 722
  Would you say any of the Ypsilon drivers work well with flats? Were you just using the Grado flat pads TTVJ, or any other form of off-brand/modded flats?
Also, how did the flats distort the sound?

Thank for taking the time.

I would say the TTVJ Deluxe Flats (not original Flats) work on Epsilon R1 but not Ypsilon because the Epsilon is more neutral (less forward than the Ypsilon). 
But the L-Cush works best. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #430 of 722
  The Epsilon R1 compared to the Ypsilon S2 have some added qualities.... midrange naturalness.

Agree! Epsilon is just more natural, smooth and effortless. Better balance and imaging. Does vocals really well.
The only place where the Ypsilon S2 has an edge is in the fun factor when you want to rock. It is a little more aggressive, forward and edgy. Slightly more attack.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #431 of 722
Hey guys, I have a question not directly related to the Ypsilon driver, but the filter that should be in front of the driver. I'm talking about that totally transparent fabric that can be stretched over the front of the driver and block the holes, so that dust or hair doesn't fall in. Does any of you know where something like that can be bought in bulk?

I'm talking something like this, the black fabric inside the earpad: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61chqyZq9dL._SL1028_.jpg  

I know I could just buy earpads and cut that portion out to a 46mm circle, but it would be cheaper to just get the fabric.

It just feels wrong using these drivers without any protection in front of them in the long terms.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #432 of 722
  Hey guys, I have a question not directly related to the Ypsilon driver, but the filter that should be in front of the driver. I'm talking about that totally transparent fabric that can be stretched over the front of the driver and block the holes, so that dust or hair doesn't fall in. Does any of you know where something like that can be bought in bulk?

I'm talking something like this, the black fabric inside the earpad: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61chqyZq9dL._SL1028_.jpg  

I know I could just buy earpads and cut that portion out to a 46mm circle, but it would be cheaper to just get the fabric.

It just feels wrong using these drivers without any protection in front of them in the long terms.

You could try silk organza, I use it when building grills for my HifiMan headphones.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #433 of 722
I'm having a tough time deciding between purchasing the nhoord drivers which are on sale vs the new ypsillon drivers.. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I loved the Ypsillon drivers in wood cups but at times it did feel a little harsh in the highs and maybe a tad forward, but otherwise I loved the drivers.

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #434 of 722
I'm having a tough time deciding between purchasing the nhoord drivers which are on sale vs the new ypsillon drivers.. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I loved the Ypsillon drivers in wood cups but at times it did feel a little harsh in the highs and maybe a tad forward, but otherwise I loved the drivers.

I've been think about this also since the Nhoord are now with aluminum housing.  I've also ordered one each of the new S2 and R1 and should get them in a few weeks.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #435 of 722
  You could try silk organza, I use it when building grills for my HifiMan headphones.

Is it totally acoustically transparent?  I just realized I could probably use that  materials that's used for speaker grills. It's a bit thick, but it should be perfectly transparent and not change the sound at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back