Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #407 of 722
  You guys are no fun, the "proper" way to destroy a driver is to push the tip of a hot soldering iron aaaaall the way through the diaphragm, to the other side.
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

Although I agree that the 'proper' way to kill the driver is by impaling it with a soldering iron, I have somehow managed to push a hex key all the way though one before ...

eek.gif
eek.gif

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #409 of 722
I... I... ah, he'll I can't beat you guys there
biggrin.gif

Sooooo, has anyone ordered the R1 yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not I sir...its a tad rich for my tastes. Maybe in the new year if I have a little extra cash, for now I need to hold off though...

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #410 of 722

Not I sir...its a tad rich for my tastes. Maybe in the new year if I have a little extra cash, for now I need to hold off though...

caught up in fostex modding
nocash for more grado stuffs

i really dig the ypsilon "classic" now that i moved it to a "fake " wood cup
just sounded like crap in all  aluminum

do we know what  the characteristics of the new drivers?
the web site doesn't say anything

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #411 of 722
  Although I agree that the 'proper' way to kill the driver is by impaling it with a soldering iron, I have somehow managed to push a hex key all the way though one before ...

biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

After intense negotiations me and @i-am-iron-man decided to help you widen your abilities, you provide the "condemned to death" drivers, we bring the tools of destruction
tongue.gif

I just pulled the trigger on both the S2 and R1, stay tuned.

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #412 of 722

biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

After intense negotiations me and @i-am-iron-man decided to help you widen your abilities, you provide the "condemned to death" drivers, we bring the tools of destruction
tongue.gif

I just pulled the trigger on both the S2 and R1, stay tuned.

I'm really interested to read your impressions on these! 
popcorn.gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #413 of 722
Oh yeaah, let us know how the R1 compares to regular ones as soon as possible. :p

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #414 of 722
Got a second pair of drivers and it sounds really strange, the highs are like the first pair I got but the bass is nonexistent and it seems to be very inefficient, I need to turn up the volume 10-15% more over the first pair.  I know they need to be burned-in a little be even after 20 hours they still don't have the dynamics and FR as the first pair.  I used a pair of mahogany cups which had Nhoord drivers in them and they had pretty good bass so I know its not the cups.

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #415 of 722
I received the new Ypsilon S2 and Epsilon R1 a few days ago, finally found the time last night to assemble them and have a good listen.
The Ypsilon S2 is a clear improvement over its predecessor, bass goes deeper and with more impact, highs have more sparkle but are never fatiguing, midrange kept much of their character, meaning very open and involving but at the same time they sound easier on the ears.
The Epsilon R1 compared to the Ypsilon S2 have some added qualities, better focus, midrange naturalness and leading edge definition, while adding resolution they don't sound brighter or edgy, bass is tighter, faster and with better definition.
I have to add though, that these differences are not a night and day situation and you need a good quality amplifier to set them apart, connected to a FiiO E07K the Epsilon S2 sounds 90% like the Epsilon R1 but when connected to the Violectric or Benchmark the differences are more distinguish and the Epsilon S2 sounds 70-80% like the Epsilon R1, hope that makes sense.
FWIW, the Epsilon R1 gave me the best sound I have heard in a Grado-ish design to date, remarkable.
On another note, while these are clearly tuned with L-Cushions in mind I have found the larger G-Cushions to work well, don't even bother with flats.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #416 of 722
Would you say any of the Ypsilon drivers work well with flats? Were you just using the Grado flat pads TTVJ, or any other form of off-brand/modded flats?
Also, how did the flats distort the sound?

Thank for taking the time.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #418 of 722
I received the new Ypsilon S2 and Epsilon R1 a few days ago, finally found the time last night to assemble them and have a good listen.
The Ypsilon S2 is a clear improvement over its predecessor, bass goes deeper and with more impact, highs have more sparkle but are never fatiguing, midrange kept much of their character, meaning very open and involving but at the same time they sound easier on the ears.
The Epsilon R1 compared to the Ypsilon S2 have some added qualities, better focus, midrange naturalness and leading edge definition, while adding resolution they don't sound brighter or edgy, bass is tighter, faster and with better definition.
I have to add though, that these differences are not a night and day situation and you need a good quality amplifier to set them apart, connected to a FiiO E07K the Epsilon S2 sounds 90% like the Epsilon R1 but when connected to the Violectric or Benchmark the differences are more distinguish and the Epsilon S2 sounds 70-80% like the Epsilon R1, hope that makes sense.
FWIW, the Epsilon R1 gave me the best sound I have heard in a Grado-ish design to date, remarkable.
On another note, while these are clearly tuned with L-Cushions in mind I have found the larger G-Cushions to work well, don't even bother with flats.

That pretty sums up what Chris was saying about his drivers. Where are you located. I purchased them on the 1st and still have not received them and I'm in Southern California.

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #419 of 722
  Got a second pair of drivers and it sounds really strange, the highs are like the first pair I got but the bass is nonexistent and it seems to be very inefficient, I need to turn up the volume 10-15% more over the first pair.  I know they need to be burned-in a little be even after 20 hours they still don't have the dynamics and FR as the first pair.  I used a pair of mahogany cups which had Nhoord drivers in them and they had pretty good bass so I know its not the cups.

I think I had the same problem– my second pair was sounding very lean in the bass/sub-bass range & I thought it was the aluminum cups I was burning them in with. Replacing them with px-100ii drivers confirmed it for me (no vent holes covered in aluminum is close to 13 holes covered in black walnut). My mahogany-housed ypsilons are incredible– the second set have been sitting around waiting for me to finish their cups (with under twenty hours on them), so I can't be absolutely sure about the difference between both pairs. People here seem to have had very good communication with EllevenAcoustica– I wonder if that's the solution.

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #420 of 722

I think I had the same problem– my second pair was sounding very lean in the bass/sub-bass range & I thought it was the aluminum cups I was burning them in with. Replacing them with px-100ii drivers confirmed it for me (no vent holes covered in aluminum is close to 13 holes covered in black walnut). My mahogany-housed ypsilons are incredible– the second set have been sitting around waiting for me to finish their cups (with under twenty hours on them), so I can't be absolutely sure about the difference between both pairs. People here seem to have had very good communication with EllevenAcoustica– I wonder if that's the solution.

Thanks for the reply, I'll let them burn in for a few more days before contacting EllevenAcoustica to find out what can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back