Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Oct 10, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #377 of 722
Ok, due to popular demand here goes :)

Note that the cable is extremely thick as I couldn't source a suitable single wire locally so in the end I used the thinnest OFC speaker cables I could find that are still too thick for headphones :) also my first attempt at braiding which didn't turn out half bad considering everything. The cups are bought on eBay, not manufactured by me. As you can see I don't have the drivers covered by anything.

Those cups look mighty familiar.:xf_eek:

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #379 of 722
  Long story. short (or so, I think)
I was at a friends (and headphone aficionado) house a few weeks ago for some beer/pizza/football/headphone-listening/blah-blah/more-pizza/beer, you get the idea, and while testing his LCD3 with the Violectric one driver went "pooof", I think for the third time, then another friend three meters away goes, "put a pair of Ypsilon in them" !!!
You can't be serious, but then again, why not.

Thinking about it further, my main concern was if the Ypsilon have enough "juice" to fill with bass the much larger volume created by the huge Audeze pads.
A few emails back-and-forth with Chris put my concerns to rest as he told that the problem isn't going to be "not enough bass" but "too much bass", the Ypsilon are designed for leaking foam pads working close to ear and the Audeze pads are sealing and very good at it.

So with some valuable input from Chris (BTW, the guy knows a thing, or two, about headphones) I made some rough baffles for the Ypsilon and Audeze ear pads, just for the "proof of concept" and the results where very encouraging, after a couple of weeks I had these.........

The idea behind these is to have the Ypsilon driver to work in situation that was designed for, ie, bass-leaking and close to the ear.
The cups protrude the driver about 8mm, (there's plenty of room inside the Audeze pads so the drivers don't touch the ears) and a number of leaking holes drilled on the baffle, these are 4 holes 6mm and 2 holes 10mm.
These 6 holes in total give a "leaking" area of 2.7cm² and a flat bass response, by blocking holes with, say, blue-tack and decreasing the "leaking total area" bass response goes up in a nice proportional factor.
Measurement.....

Red curve is all holes blocked, blue curve is all open, everything in between...
Orange -  two 6mm holes blocked
Pink  -  four 6mm holes blocked
etc, you get the idea.
Frequency response is in every case a straight line from (at least) 80Hz to 3kHz but with a nice downward slope (think BBC dip)
Back wave damping is left to minimal with just a ~1.5mm felt glued on the grills, heavier damping (like 5mm felt) adds some midrange presence and a reflective surface (I tried some wood veneer and a round silicone donut from toroidal tranformer mounting) adds some "sparkle" on the top octave, all in all, a very customable and easy to tune to your "taste" design.
I won't go into detail of how these sound other that they sound phenomenal, the Ypsilon is a remarkable driver, period, and the obvious, soundstage especially depth, goes ten-fold than any Grado-ish design I have ever heard.

CSD.

Finished "product", dig it?
tongue.gif

Good work!

That looks awesome the baffle with that driver in it !

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #380 of 722
  Ok, due to popular demand here goes :)

Note that the cable is extremely thick as I couldn't source a suitable single wire locally so in the end I used the thinnest OFC speaker cables I could find that are still too thick for headphones :) also my first attempt at braiding which didn't turn out half bad considering everything. The cups are bought on eBay, not manufactured by me. As you can see I don't have the drivers covered by anything.

Very nice
wink.gif

@SHAMuuu Thanks.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #381 of 722
  @koshman, nice work, I've never used Tech-Flex with headphones since I think it might be a bit microphonic but it does give a nice finish to braided cables.

DavidA, slightly OT to your comment on microphonics - I think it's fine for open headphones where the effect is negligible, but this weekend I was recabling Beyerdynamic DT48E (closed and very much dependent on good seal). I used thinner wire this time (based on Mogami W2534 which is 24AWG I think) so was able to sleeve the individual channels after Y split in Paracord 550, but the common part I did in Techflex again and it is noticeably microphonic as you assumed. I think it will probably be fine for home use where you don't move around so much (my primary intended use) but on my Sunday test run around the city it was quite annoying when rubbing against various zippers etc.
By the way is paracord available in bigger sizes to sleeve thicker cables? Thanks.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #382 of 722

DavidA, slightly OT to your comment on microphonics - I think it's fine for open headphones where the effect is negligible, but this weekend I was recabling Beyerdynamic DT48E (closed and very much dependent on good seal). I used thinner wire this time (based on Mogami W2534 which is 24AWG I think) so was able to sleeve the individual channels after Y split in Paracord 550, but the common part I did in Techflex again and it is noticeably microphonic as you assumed. I think it will probably be fine for home use where you don't move around so much (my primary intended use) but on my Sunday test run around the city it was quite annoying when rubbing against various zippers etc.
By the way is paracord available in bigger sizes to sleeve thicker cables? Thanks.

Thanks for the info on the Techflex being microphonic.  I know that paracord does come in different strengths but I've never tried anything other than the 550 which is the most common, maybe someone else has some experience with different paracord sizes.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #383 of 722
  Thanks for the info on the Techflex being microphonic.  I know that paracord does come in different strengths but I've never tried anything other than the 550 which is the most common, maybe someone else has some experience with different paracord sizes.

I don't know about paracord, but perlon cord/rope is sold in many sizes. The strength of either cord comes from the individual nylon strands inside the casing. Because of the variety available, I prefer the perlon cord. It's often sold by the foot at outdoors-y shops.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

edit: now that I think about it–  paracord is available in more than one strength, which I assume means different thicknesses/ diameter

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #386 of 722
Where did you bought the aluminium cups?

I have a relative with a metal lathe, so I just needed to buy an aluminum rod & have some dimensions to work with. He did all the work & I sat there & watched. they are not  absolutely identical, but better matched than any cups I've made so far. It would have been great to try titanium if that's even possible on his set-up.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #388 of 722
Anyone searching for amps to pair the Ypsilon, here's my experience.
I liked the Ypsilon with the Liquid Cavalli Carbon. While the LC made the Ypsilon a little bass and mid forward, overall, it had good balance of bass, mids and treble. 
But with the ZOTL2, the Ypsilon sounded a little too lean and bright. 
But with the Elise Feliks, everything sounds wonderfully balanced. The Elise adds bass and warmth to the mids and softens the treble.  

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #389 of 722
I am no longer a Ypsilon listener. A driver bit the dust when I was fitting a new cable :frowning2:

Sooo I noticed the board move slightly when I was finishing up the second driver. Thinking that it looked like a Very Bad Thing I checked continuity and! - there is none. 

Maybe I'm not the expert with a soldering iron like I thought I was ...

Don't suppose anyone has a spare one they'd be willing to sell or trade? I have an excess of aluminium gimbals and some nice wood cups I don't want anymore ...

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #390 of 722
  I am no longer a Ypsilon listener. A driver bit the dust when I was fitting a new cable :frowning2:

Sooo I noticed the board move slightly when I was finishing up the second driver. Thinking that it looked like a Very Bad Thing I checked continuity and! - there is none. 

Maybe I'm not the expert with a soldering iron like I thought I was ...

Don't suppose anyone has a spare one they'd be willing to sell or trade? I have an excess of aluminium gimbals and some nice wood cups I don't want anymore ...

That sucks.
frown.gif

I know these are sold in matched pairs (also confirmed from my measurements) and replacing just one might not be the best idea.
You better shoot Elleven Acoustica a email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back