Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Aug 25, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #346 of 722
  Just about 4-5 hrs of burn and they are really coming alive. They add just enough to the lower regin to that grado sound to really be something. Will keep burning them in and report any big changes if there are any.

Keep going :)...20 hours is (if I recall correctly) the recommended mark from Eleven Acoustica...

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #348 of 722
Finally got around to rebuilding my Ypsilons. Used the following:

Cable by @Arty McGhee
Aluminium cups custom milled by Chris at Elleven Acoustica
Aluminium gimbals by Symphones
Leather headband by Turbulent
Stock Grado metal band and plastic rod blocks
Ypsilon drivers (of course)
Black Limba sleeves turned by me
TTVJ Flats (they give the Ypsilons a little more bottom end)

Someone at work I did a build for a while ago looked worried when she saw them. I asked why. "Well, they don't look like a pair you'd made..." she said. I have to admit, these are a little bit of a deviation for me, but I like the look of them. The Nhoords in Black and White Ebony will likely stay my daily drivers, but these will stay on the desk at home and maybe come out once in a while.

This was the second in four personal builds I am setting aside time to get together. The next two will use the Nakamichi SP-7 and the Magnum V6 drivers I think (unless I get antsy and skip to the V7).

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #349 of 722

Cable by @Arty McGhee

Someone at work I did a build for a while ago looked worried when she saw them. I asked why. "Well, they don't look like a pair you'd made..." she said. I have to admit, these are a little bit of a deviation for me, but I like the look of them. The Nhoords in Black and White Ebony will likely stay my daily drivers, but these will stay on the desk at home and maybe come out once in a while.

This was the second in four personal builds I am setting aside time to get together. The next two will use the Nakamichi SP-7 and the Magnum V6 drivers I think (unless I get antsy and skip to the V7).

really nice, clean work

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #352 of 722
Wow those look high end. Very professional looking. Nice work fleasbaby.

I do have a question though, what has more effect on the sound? The wooden sleeves or aluminum cups?

*edit* How rude of me! Before spouting off, I should say thank you for the compliment. Credit should go to Chris at Elleven Acoustica for the cups, and Rhydon for the gimbals, as well as @Arty McGhee for that sexy cable and Turbulent for the headband though. My handiwork was the hidden part, the wood, and assembly :).

As a general rule with most drivers, if they are press-fitted, I find the wood affects tone, the aluminium affects how aggressive, or for want of a better term "wild" the headphone sounds, if that makes any sense? Everytime I have moved a driver from a full wooden cup to an aluminium shell over a wooden sleeve, its always made it more "polite". As always, YMMV, this is just what I have observed in my experiments, and when listening to stock Grados. Pads also play a heavy role (sometimes more clearly than wood choice).

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #353 of 722
Wow those look high end. Very professional looking. Nice work fleasbaby.

I do have a question though, what has more effect on the sound? The wooden sleeves or aluminum cups?

*edit* How rude of me! Before spouting off, I should say thank you for the compliment. Credit should go to Chris at Elleven Acoustica for the cups, and Rhydon for the gimbals, as well as @Arty McGhee
for that sexy cable and Turbulent for the headband though. My handiwork was the hidden part, the wood, and assembly :).

As a general rule with most drivers, if they are press-fitted, I find the wood affects tone, the aluminium affects how aggressive, or for want of a better term "wild" the headphone sounds, if that makes any sense? Everytime I have moved a driver from a full wooden cup to an aluminium shell over a wooden sleeve, its always made it more "polite". As always, YMMV, this is just what I have observed in my experiments, and when listening to stock Grados. Pads also play a heavy role (sometimes more clearly than wood choice).

Have you ever tried all aluminium? When I tried ambchang's all aluminium V4,top and bottom
, it had a wonderfull tone, different than my V4 in wood. Although it could get quite sibilant in badly recorded music.It had a lot more detail than my V4 in wood. Just the tone alone made me want to put together a magnum in all aluminium. I already have the sleeves.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #354 of 722
  really nice, clean work

Cable by @Arty McGhee

Sweeeet,
beyersmile.png

I love the sleek design, once again great build.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #355 of 722
Have you ever tried all aluminium? When I tried ambchang's all aluminium V4,top and bottom
, it had a wonderfull tone, different than my V4 in wood. Although it could get quite sibilant in badly recorded music.It had a lot more detail than my V4 in wood. Just the tone alone made me want to put together a magnum in all aluminium. I already have the sleeves.

No...no full aluminium yet. I am hesitant, worried about them being too bright for my tastes...at some point I have to though...no left turn unstoned and all that
tongue_smile.gif

Sweeeet,
beyersmile.png

I love the sleek design, once again great build.

Thanks...btw, am waiting with baited breath to see how the Nhoord measure compared to the V7 and the Ypsilon. We have a trio of great substitute drivers out there right now. Great time to be building!

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #357 of 722
I mostly listen to classic rock and country now days. But this morning I decided to take a walk down memory lane of my high school days in the 90's. And Holy Crap! These drivers are absolute monsters for that type of music. They bring about nuances of the music that I have never heard in the songs that I've been listening to off and on for 20 years. When I pair them up with my Vali 2 the sound is just fantastic. It just totally caught me by surprise so had to share. These drivers are the real deal.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #358 of 722
I mostly listen to classic rock and country now days. But this morning I decided to take a walk down memory lane of my high school days in the 90's. And Holy Crap! These drivers are absolute monsters for that type of music. They bring about nuances of the music that I have never heard in the songs that I've been listening to off and on for 20 years. When I pair them up with my Vali 2 the sound is just fantastic. It just totally caught me by surprise so had to share. These drivers are the real deal.

I presume this means they have great bass extension and punch as well, since most 90's music was dependent on that? :p

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #360 of 722
Yes they seem to be a much fuller sound than the stock drivers.

Can you compare the overall sound to any other headphones? Where would you rank them....like under 500, 500-1000 or over 1000 dollar category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back