Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jul 9, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #316 of 722
It seems the second generation would be the one to get, from the reviews it looks like it might have a better driver.

They're precised almost exactly the same (like half a pound more expensive for mk2) on the european spare parts store, so I doubt they're better, they just have a bigger baffle to fit inside the bigger cup on the mk2, hence the slightly higher price for a bit more plastic, but exactly same design otherwise.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #317 of 722
It seems the second generation would be the one to get, from the reviews it looks like it might have a better driver.

They're precised almost exactly the same (like half a pound more expensive for mk2) on the european spare parts store, so I doubt they're better, they just have a bigger baffle to fit inside the bigger cup on the mk2, hence the slightly higher price for a bit more plastic, but exactly same design otherwise.

Can you just pop the driver out of the baffle?

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #318 of 722
Can you just pop the driver out of the baffle?

You have to unscrew that plastic cover on the back of the baffle that you can see on the picture I posted, 4 screws. Carefully because the cable is glued in the hole that goes through that cover and there's very little slack on the wire inside, so if you pull it off, you might rip the PCB contacts on the back of the driver itself. It's best to use a scalpel or a needle and slowly pick that gooey black glue out until you loosen the cable enough. After that, the driver pops out of the baffle. On the Mk1 it's pressed in with some clips and has a dab of hot glue on those contacts, not sure if the attachment is the same on Mk2, but since the assemblies look almost identical in every other way, I doubt they used a different system.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #319 of 722
Got my Ypsilon drivers and finished putting them in to my old SennGrado build:

While it sounds better than the PX-100ii driver that it replaced its still not quite as good as the best PX-100ii driver in another.  The mids are just touch to forward but everything else is great, good bass extension details and the highs are just smooth and extended without sounding harsh.  I haven't done any sorbothane on the back of the driver yet so I'll listen for a few days and see how it goes.  For the price I paid for a used SR-225i ($92) I think that driver is just a little better than the Ypsilon at this point.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #321 of 722
  The Ypsilons need a few hours running-in before you pay them any real attention. 
I only listen to mine now (sold my PS500e and abandoned my V6 cans) and they're still improving. 

I second this, they definitely change quite a bit with burn-in, 40-50 hours is the minimum IMHO, they keep improving beyond that point but not as dramatic.
@DavidA How did you mount them into the cups? Pics?

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #322 of 722

Quote:

I second this, they definitely change quite a bit with burn-in, 40-50 hours is the minimum IMHO, they keep improving beyond that point but not as dramatic.
@DavidA How did you mount them into the cups? Pics?

Good to know about them needing some use before they sound good.

I mounted them with a little dynamat to get them to fit really snug, they fit almost perfect in the cups and are even with the lip of the cup.
It looks like there is space but its just the top area where I had to dig out the hot glue I used to mount the old PX-100ii drivers

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #323 of 722

I mounted them with a little dynamat to get them to fit really snug, they fit almost perfect in the cups and are even with the lip of the cup.
It looks like there is space but its just the top area where I had to dig out the hot glue I used to mount the old PX-100ii drivers

Looks good, just give them a few hours before draw any conclusions.
What pads are you using?
I find OEM Grado and EarZonk consistent good, some cheap Chinese copies of ePray where decent while some awful bad, so keep this in mind.

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #324 of 722

Are those the hifiman connectors?

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #326 of 722

Looks good, just give them a few hours before draw any conclusions.
What pads are you using?
I find OEM Grado and EarZonk consistent good, some cheap Chinese copies of ePray where decent while some awful bad, so keep this in mind.

Been going back a fort with EZ L and original Grado L, quite a big difference between the two, the EZ seems to give a warmer presentation with a slight bass emphasis while the Grado L will give a much cleaner overall sound.  Also tried the EZ G pads, makes the sound to spaced out, but they work quite well on the SR-225e that I modded with dynamat and sorbothane.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #327 of 722

Yes, I like them since they are quite small and don't take up a lot of space inside of the cups.  I also use them on the TH-600/900, K553 and SR-225

Aren't they quite tricky in terms of the cable thickness? I was thinking about using them instead of mini-xlr too, but what bothers me is that I won't be able to solder a cable into them.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #328 of 722

Aren't they quite tricky in terms of the cable thickness? I was thinking about using them instead of mini-xlr too, but what bothers me is that I won't be able to solder a cable into them.

I've found 2 different sizes of the connectors:

1. From Ebay, $11 for pack of 10 (24awg will not fit)
2. Female side (male side is same design), from Luna Shops, $10/pair (takes the largest wires, 24awg is a tight fit)
3. From ebay, $8/pair (28awg is tight fit, I've been just cutting of the top section and only leave the center pin)
4. From Vetco, $8/pair + shipping, this is the best for the TH-600/900 mod, no cutting required, with TH-X00 you need to file down center pin a little and solder on at a right angle

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #329 of 722
The Grado GS1000 that I won used from eBay had the rattle of death. So I ordered Ypsilon Drivers.

That GS1000 was listed as parts for sale and I was lured into thinking that it had hair grattle like my Grado SR60i's encountered. The seller mentioned in their eBay listing "The right driver has noise" and "I tried to open the wood cup and check the driver, but found no obvious damages on the driver." It was a major red flag dead giveaway but I didn't even know about the rattle of death, but now I do. I'm new to this hobby and this is what I think what happened to the GS1000's. The original owner destroyed the headphone because of low impedance at 32 Ohms by plugging it into a studio amp with high volume levels. It might've also been due to age. Here's a web page archive of my auction win from eBay [Grado GS1000 headphone - eBay].

The left driver has mild death rattle with vocals and high frequencies way above 90dB and the right driver had 100% death rattle at any given volume level but now I repaired it. My method to repair the rattle of death was that I glued the voice coil and membrane myself using LOCA UV Glue by funnelling it from the back driver damping material that had holes in it. And now it sounds okay to me but has major volume imbalance 60%/100% left and right. I did the 20Hz to 20kHz frequency sweep test and I'm happy. But not happy at all with my volume imbalance. I contacted Grado Labs and I was given the runaround as they told me to service and repair my GS1000's drivers locally here in Australia with a hourly rate of $120usd ($160aud) an hour. Where in Canada [Audio Group - Warranty and Repair] they have a fixed rate and more cheaper repair price but they haven't replied back to me. It could be because I don't live there. Here's a example out of my email from Addicted to Audio service and repairs in Australia "You are welcome to get it sent in to us to access first, which will cost labor although we can then proceed with the repair once we have quoted and you have accepted the costs".

I know full well that servicing and repairing it here in Australia will cost more money significantly. I would rather purchase a brand new Grado GS1000e because I know they'll charge me per hour and it'll cost nearly the same as buying new. I would like to thank Chris at Elleven Acoustica for replying back and forth to me very quickly and sending it by post on the same day. I'm waiting for my Ypsilon drivers in the mail. I was told in a reply email that they're sold in matched pair and they will fit in the GS1000 cups. I can't wait to get to hear them. As someone who lives outside of the US or Canada this is unfair pricing for repairing your Grado locally and buying Ypsilon drivers is the same price as getting a quote and getting make believe labor costs.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #330 of 722
Hi. I'm happy to update that they arrived and I put the drivers into my GS1000 cups.
Photos are in the links below. I need to have more post count to be able to insert pictures.
http://i.imgur.com/j4L2AFJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/faKvsHW.jpg
The sad thing is I managed to rip apart the original PCB board from my old drivers.
http://i.imgur.com/UFvSmQf.jpg

I'll burn-in these Ypsilon drivers. I never thought that I'd do the unthinkable and remove the PCB board on my old drivers. That did not happen when I fiddled with my Grado SR60i's drivers. All I remember on my old GS1000 drivers were that they sounded really natural or something. Well it doesn't really matter anymore now that these Ypsilon drivers have replaced them.

I received a reply from Grado Audio Group in Canada and they apologized with a good reason why they couldn't help. "we are very honoured to be your preferred servicing company for your Grado headphones.  Unfortunately, our contract with Grado gives us the right to service the Canadian customers exclusively.  I would recommand that you contact Grado Labs USA directly, they will be able to help you." and Grado US "we do not sell parts, where do you live?", "did you try asking the Australian distributor for service?". I feel disheartened from buying anymore Grado products. Only Addicted to Audio service centre in Australia can refurbish it but a quote for $160aud an hour is asking too much.

Compared to my damaged GS1000 drivers these Ypsilon reference drivers gave me a very good first impression. I'm happy with them during the first few seconds listening to it. Ypsilon sounds very good. I also own many other headphones to compare with such as Stax SRS-2170, HD800, HD600, K702, DT880 Pro, DT880 600 Ohm, HE-400i w/ Ether C Pads, Dunu DN2000J and all Etymotic earphones except the latest ones. I will burn-in these Ypsilon drivers with Mono music tracks together with my Gustard X20U DAC and Violectric HPA V100 amplifier. For the last few weeks I was mainly using my Tascam TH-02 w/ HM5 Pad headphones for daily use so I'm not entirely sure how these Ypsilon driver compare to my expensive headphones.

So far with the first 5 minutes listening to these Ypsilon drivers enclosed inside my GS1000 cups. I think the soundstage is less than my K702. I think these drivers are as good as my HD600. I'm guessing they sound euphoric like my Stax SRS-2170. Well these are my first initial thoughts and apologies for the wall of text. What a rollercoaster ride putting these in haha.

Thank you Elleven Acoustica!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back