Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jul 2, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #301 of 722

Those Momentum drivers sound interesting, do you have a link to where I might order some?

Your countries official Sennheiser website should have a link to a support page or spare parts page. If not just send them an email and ask for a spare part.

Here's the UK version of the site: http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/ 
It can also take you to their professional headphone spare parts, the link directly takes you to consumer headphones. You'll notice that in their professional and higher end headphones, the price of the drivers usually accounts for about 30-40% of the price of the entire headphone, while in the consumer headphones, the drivers are usually 5-10% of the cost of the headphone, something to think about when the manufacturer is so opened about the value of the parts used in headphones.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #303 of 722

I plan to do the same thing, I mean, I'm already doing it and have several early prototypes, but still not a full finished product, I want really high end finish on it before revealing it, meaning CNC machined aluminium, anodized and sandblasted, high quality mahagony wood pieces and 3d printed parts. I have 4 headphones designed at the moment fully, down to the last screw and padding material, and I must say (can't release yet) they also have some things not found on any headphone I'm aware of in terms of design. The issue is I also have about 1000 files of prototypes and parts done in autodesk inventor that I don't use, not that they're bad, in fact they're better than what most hi-end headphones on the market feature, it's just that I design something, it looks very good and then I decide to slightly change it without trying the first version, which leads to a painful situation in which the ideas are flowing out of my head like a water out of a fountain, but I can't build each idea into a real product, because prototyping is EXTREMELY expensive. Think of it like this....you can buy some HD800's for the price of having just the aluminium pieces machined and finished in small quantities. That problem is keeping me from going all out and finally building a headphone, I just can't decide which version to go with. I'll have to pull the trigger once I get the final drivers.  I can't decide on which drivers to use at this point, I am torn between AKG K812 (around 300 dollars a pair), ATH-AD2000x or 1000x drivers (around 150 a pair), or go with something cheaper like the Ypsilon and try how that works out first. I'm pretty sure my build will be an open back headphone first as well, so the Ypsilon driver is just fine. Choosing an open version because they're more easily tuned and the positioning of the driver will be such that the open back design will be most beneficial for the soundstage and imaging, I already got my prototype to image and throw a deeper soundstage better than my Beyerdynamic T1's, and that was using the drivers out of a Superlux HD681 which cost 20 dollars and some very minor EQ-ing to fix then balance between both channels.

Yeah, prototyping can get expensive fast. I'm trying to keep costs reasonable with my first design. I want to get my own 3d printer at some point. Ideally you would have several sets of drivers you could interchange to see what works best. The Fostex drivers used in the TH900 interest me as well as the Beyerdynamics T90 Tesla drivers. I've found both for sale. But I think I will start with the Ypsilon.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #304 of 722
  Yeah, prototyping can get expensive fast. I'm trying to keep costs reasonable with my first design. I want to get my own 3d printer at some point. Ideally you would have several sets of drivers you could interchange to see what works best. The Fostex drivers used in the TH900 interest me as well as the Beyerdynamics T90 Tesla drivers. I've found both for sale. But I think I will start with the Ypsilon.

The tricky part about using different drivers is the fact that they're all different in shape and all have special ways of attaching to a baffle. Luckily Ypsilon driver is a nice even shape 46+9mm, so it's easy to glue it, pressure fit it or secure it with screws, but other drivers from manufacturers have special ways of attaching and requires a specific design in order to fit. Like the picture of the baffle I posted, that's for a 45mm drivers from Beyerdynamic, the kind that are found in DT770/880/990,not the Tesla ones. Easily secured with a back plate that screws onto the baffle.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #306 of 722

I found that most drivers from open back headphones get honky and too mid-centric once you start blocking grills behind the driver, because their drivers are meant to work in an open back headphone, and doing something else screws with it. That's why the Ypsilon driver might not be the best choice.

TLM says the ypsilo driver works in a closed cup so there might not be a problem with that.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #307 of 722
TLM says the ypsilo driver works in a closed cup so there might not be a problem with that.

Well, it will work, but whether it will work at it's full potential, that is the question. If the driver was tuned to work in an environment where the rear of the driver is fully vented and can "breathe", then it might compromise the performance quite a bit if you seal it into a cup and introduce changes to the sound that might be bad or good, someone has to try. And you also open a whole other box of problems in terms of finding the exact volume of the chamber behind the driver, the venting between the front and rear chamber (behind the driver in the cup and in front of the driver where the ear is), tuning the exact size of the port hole to the outside of the cup, the dampening inside the cup, dealing with reflections, etc. It's perhaps easier to pick up a driver that is from a closed back headphone and then you know approximately how to deal with all that stuff. But if someone tries I'd be happy to see some measurements so we can see which effects exactly it has on the sound. I just know from experience that tuning closed back headphone is a son of b**ch and the slightest change can totally mess up the sound.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #308 of 722

I just know from experience that tuning closed back headphone is a son of b**ch and the slightest change can totally mess up the sound.

It can also be a lot of fun if the headphone is easy to work with. I didn't like working with the T50RP but the SoundMAGIC HP150 I'm modding now is easy to work with. Openbacks are easier though.

I've found that if the openback driver works in a closed cup you can use the size of the lip for the screen for tuning purposes.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #309 of 722
I remembered discussing this in the magnum thread around December of last year so I checked it out that time period in the magnum thread and found it.

To make it easy to find stuff I've started to just save the page in a folder with a description to what it is.  Just been looking at too many threads to remember stuff.

What I started to do is give the post I want to remember some reputation, leave a note to myself in the message box and I'm good to go.

Yes........ you can use reputation as your unique file system

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #310 of 722
If you find any info share it with us, I'd be interested in getting some.

Spent over an hour going thru the Sennheiser USA site and couldn't find any where to purchase replacement drivers so sent a request for technical support on where to buy, will take a while before I get a response since they only reply M-F.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #311 of 722
This is what I got back from Senn about Momentum drivers

New reply for the ticket #SP00090766

Hello David ,

Part # 564538 (MOMENTUM On-Ear left side) $11.76

Part # 564539 (MOMENTUM On-Ear right side) $11.76

Part # 550298 (MOMENTUM right side) $10.98

Part # 550299 (MOMENTUM left side) $10.98

If you have the Bluetooth version there are no drivers available

To place an order you can call 860-434-9190 ext 1 and reference the part #

Best regards ,

Bruce Gentry

#SP00090766
Spare Parts
Thank you,
Parts Department

Hours: M-F, 8:30 am - 5 pm EST

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #312 of 722

Told ya, they're super cheap drivers considering they come in a almost 400 dollar pair of headphones.

The only fault is that they come built into the assembly, so it's a problem to extract the driver itself out of the assembly because it's glued onto the baffle, and the whole driver chamber is tuned perfectly for the driver.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #313 of 722
This is what I got back from Senn about Momentum drivers

[COLOR=000000]New reply for the ticket #SP00090766[/COLOR]

Hello David ,

Part # 564538 (MOMENTUM On-Ear left side) $11.76

Part # 564539 (MOMENTUM On-Ear right side) $11.76

Part # 550298 (MOMENTUM right side) $10.98

Part # 550299 (MOMENTUM left side) $10.98

If you have the Bluetooth version there are no drivers available

To place an order you can call 860-434-9190 ext 1 and reference the part #

Best regards ,

Bruce Gentry

#SP00090766

Spare Parts
[COLOR=666666]Thank you,

Parts Department

Hours: M-F, 8:30 am - 5 pm EST[/COLOR]

Thanks!

There are two versions of the Momentum driver I think, I wonder which one of those two is the second version?
I'd really like to play around with those.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #314 of 722
Thanks!

There are two versions of the Momentum driver I think, I wonder which one of those two is the second version?

The drivers listed above are for the first generation on-ear and over-ear.  If you want the info for the second generation I can send in another request.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #315 of 722
Thanks!

The drivers listed above are for the first generation on-ear and over-ear.  If you want the info for the second generation I can send in another request.

It seems the second generation would be the one to get, from the reviews it looks like it might have a better driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back