Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jun 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #288 of 722

Sorry, I've been searching the threads but can't find it.  I do know that you need a block of wood that is almost the size of the driver and that you need a press or other device to push the driver through with a slow steady force.

Here you go

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1170#post_7660152

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #289 of 722
Here you go

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1170#post_7660152

That's it for sure. I've never had the balls to try that though. Not sure why...

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #292 of 722
I remembered discussing this in the magnum thread around December of last year so I checked it out that time period in the magnum thread and found it.

To make it easy to find stuff I've started to just save the page in a folder with a description to what it is.  Just been looking at too many threads to remember stuff.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #293 of 722
How good are these Ypsilon drivers compared to other high end drivers? Considering that for the same price it's possible to buy drivers from AKG (K712), the 53 mm drivers from Audio Technica (AD1000x or AD2000x) and similar top of the line drivers. Did anyone directly compare them to any drivers other than stock Grado ones?

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #294 of 722

I've done a few woody jobs on Superlux HD330...weirdly enough, they feel a little smaller than the DT770. The headband doesn't extend as much and the cups seemed a little more cramped. Still, they worked well.

Your new cans are inspiring. Chris at Elleven Acoustica is a champ...

They are a bit smaller. I designed this custom baffle for the DT990 about half a year ago, and once 3D printed it fits it absolutely perfectly into the Beyerdynamic phones, and the stock assembly ring clicks nicely into places and holds the thing tightly, just like a stock baffle, but on the HD330 Superlux it didn't fit, it was a few mm too wide and required sanding.

Also the plastic that Superlux uses is far lower grade than what Beyer has, even though it looks similar at a quick glance, that is especially crucial on the headband assembly. The quality of the sliding mechanism is very poor, and one of the reasons why I'd pay extra and get the Beyerdynamic headband for any sort of modding. The spring steel in the Superlux headband is far softer and easily bendable, as well as the aluminium hinges that connect to the ear cup, they bend with very little force, while Beyerdynamic ones are very stiff. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #295 of 722
  How good are these Ypsilon drivers compared to other high end drivers? Considering that for the same price it's possible to buy drivers from AKG (K712), the 53 mm drivers from Audio Technica (AD1000x or AD2000x) and similar top of the line drivers. Did anyone directly compare them to any drivers other than stock Grado ones?

I have the AD1000X and I'm looking into designing a custom headphone with the Ypsilon driver. Mostly 3d printed. ZMF leather pads full size headphone. I'll post more info later if I decide to proceed. I plan to do things I've never seen done as far as dealing with the back wave. Not just sound absorption. (sort of a closed design.)

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #296 of 722
I have the AD1000X and I'm looking into designing a custom headphone with the Ypsilon driver. Mostly 3d printed. ZMF leather pads full size headphone. I'll post more info later if I decide to proceed. I plan to do things I've never seen done as far as dealing with the back wave. Not just sound absorption. (sort of a closed design.)

Have you heard the ypsillon drivers? I'm not sure it would work well in a close back design with leather pads but it could.

The sennheiser px100iis are apparently just as good closed as they are open and they are open air headphones. Worth trying if you have the means to I suppose.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #297 of 722

I plan to do the same thing, I mean, I'm already doing it and have several early prototypes, but still not a full finished product, I want really high end finish on it before revealing it, meaning CNC machined aluminium, anodized and sandblasted, high quality mahagony wood pieces and 3d printed parts. I have 4 headphones designed at the moment fully, down to the last screw and padding material, and I must say (can't release yet) they also have some things not found on any headphone I'm aware of in terms of design. The issue is I also have about 1000 files of prototypes and parts done in autodesk inventor that I don't use, not that they're bad, in fact they're better than what most hi-end headphones on the market feature, it's just that I design something, it looks very good and then I decide to slightly change it without trying the first version, which leads to a painful situation in which the ideas are flowing out of my head like a water out of a fountain, but I can't build each idea into a real product, because prototyping is EXTREMELY expensive. Think of it like this....you can buy some HD800's for the price of having just the aluminium pieces machined and finished in small quantities. That problem is keeping me from going all out and finally building a headphone, I just can't decide which version to go with. I'll have to pull the trigger once I get the final drivers.  I can't decide on which drivers to use at this point, I am torn between AKG K812 (around 300 dollars a pair), ATH-AD2000x or 1000x drivers (around 150 a pair), or go with something cheaper like the Ypsilon and try how that works out first. I'm pretty sure my build will be an open back headphone first as well, so the Ypsilon driver is just fine. Choosing an open version because they're more easily tuned and the positioning of the driver will be such that the open back design will be most beneficial for the soundstage and imaging, I already got my prototype to image and throw a deeper soundstage better than my Beyerdynamic T1's, and that was using the drivers out of a Superlux HD681 which cost 20 dollars and some very minor EQ-ing to fix then balance between both channels.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #298 of 722
Have you heard the ypsillon drivers? I'm not sure it would work well in a close back design with leather pads but it could.

The sennheiser px100iis are apparently just as good closed as they are open and they are open air headphones. Worth trying if you have the means to I suppose.

It's pointless to use PX100 drivers for a closed design when Sennheiser will sell you spare Momentum Over Ear II drivers for 8 € each, and that's with the baffle and the little chamber behind the driver and a PCB plate for the soldering of wires.  Those drivers are insanely cheap for how good they are, I couldn't believe how cheap Sennheiser sells them for through their official spare parts website, considering they put them inside a 350-400 dollar headphone, but they're probably the driver to use in a closed back design, hard to find better value for money.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #299 of 722

Oh yea, I almost forgot, about the back wave, honestly, if you make a fully opened design, then the best thing to do is to do as little as possible. Just keep the rear of the driver as opened to the outside as possible, a grill, maybe a thin layer of fabric that is very transparent to sound and airflow to make it look nicer, that's it. I found that most drivers from open back headphones get honky and too mid-centric once you start blocking grills behind the driver, because their drivers are meant to work in an open back headphone, and doing something else screws with it. That's why the Ypsilon driver might not be the best choice. On the other hand if it's a closed back design, then the best thing to do is to design two separate chambers, like what Audio Technica does on their high end closed back models.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #300 of 722

It's pointless to use PX100 drivers for a closed design when Sennheiser will sell you spare Momentum Over Ear II drivers for 8 € each, and that's with the baffle and the little chamber behind the driver and a PCB plate for the soldering of wires.  Those drivers are insanely cheap for how good they are, I couldn't believe how cheap Sennheiser sells them for through their official spare parts website, considering they put them inside a 350-400 dollar headphone, but they're probably the driver to use in a closed back design, hard to find better value for money.

Those Momentum drivers sound interesting, do you have a link to where I might order some?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back