Grado headband replacement?
May 11, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #16 of 36
I called Grado's number as listed on the website (somewhere in NY, IIRC). The headband costs $50 and it's quite easy to install - it's actually the entire assembly (leather part, metal gimbals, horseshoe holders, etc). Here is a picture of the stock headband:

Headband.jpg

To remove it, just pull apart the horseshoe and the entire driver cup will be detached:

Grado.jpg

Enjoy your more comfortable and classier SR225!
rs1smile.gif

EDIT: Regarding the RS-1 vs. RS-2 headbands: the RS-1's gimbals (the metal rods) are of a higher quality and it uses circular metal holders rather than the plastic horseshoes of the RS-2 headband. However, the leather part is exactly the same - both the RS-1 and the RS-2 use the same exact leather part in the headband (which is more present and supple than the SR325's leather). The other RS-2 headband assembly is of the same weak build quality of the SR60/80/125/225/325; the RS-2 headband is basically an SR60 headband with RS-1 leather instead of cheap plastic.

May 12, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 36
I plan on doing this....

225 owners need to order the RS-1 "headband assembly" from Grado for $50 (there is no part number).

I've been waiting to do this...but Grado says they have no spare parts right now and the wait is 6-8 weeks for these to arrive. They can then be ordered at that time. Apparently they're pretty busy along their entire product line.

May 12, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 36
Slightly offtopic:Has anyone noticed how the small rubber caps on the RS-1 adjusting rods have changed?
On an old pair of I had they were machined metal,I have also seen plastic and two different sized rubber caps.

May 12, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 36
Just clarifying that the RS-2 headband assembly is what you folks want; the RS-1 assembly only works with the RS-1 (and maybe the PS-1).

May 12, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #21 of 36
I jsut e-mailed Grado on whether i can change the headband on my Alessandros, this is what i get :

"Sorry this is not possible on those headphones. Grado headbands
are provide with Grado headphones only.
Thanks so much.

Regards,
Grado Labs "

May 12, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 36
There is no need to ask Grado if such and such is OK. The RS-2 headband will fit:
SR60/80/125/225/325/RS-2/MS1/MS2 and probably SR100/200/300 as well (though it's been awhile since I've heard or seen those). As I explained in my other posts, the RS-2 headband assembly is the same for all the other Grados (except RS-1, MS-Pro, PS-1 and HP1000); only the band material (the leather) is different. Don't ask him anything. Simply say, "My RS-2 headband is growing a bit long in the tooth and needs to be replaced. How much do you charge for a replacement for my RS-2 headband? Thank you." Say this whether or not you own an RS-2; I think the reason you received that answer is because the supply of such headbands may be limited and selling it to lots of people at $50 a pop may be fiscally foolish.

May 13, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Just clarifying that the RS-2 headband assembly is what you folks want; the RS-1 assembly only works with the RS-1 (and maybe the PS-1).

I can't argue with your personal experience...but the gal at Grado specifically said I needed the RS-1 headband...not the RS-2, for the 225. Maybe she was wrong?

May 13, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 36
Also, keep in mind the L and R of the cups matters. Look inside of the screen on the outside of the driver; the driver with the red wire should be connected to the left (I know, ususally the red is for right, but John himself told me this) and the driver with the blue wire should be connected to the right.

Jun 13, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 36
I called Grado yesterday. The dude said they don't sell headbands seperate from the drivers. Maybe I need to give it a couple of days then call back and fib about a replacement band for my ficticious RS-2s.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #26 of 36
I called on 6/30/04 and just ordered an RS-2 assembly. The receptionist patched me to the shop floor with a gal to confirm exactly what I wanted.

She stated she would send the entire assembly....but without the plastic caps glued on. I don't know why that would matter as replacement is described as just pulling apart the metal brackets (as described earlier in thread).

Anyways, they charged me $45 (shipping included...I assume postal) and my "upgrade" is on the way. I'm looking forward to my improved 225's...as headband comfort is one of my few complaints right now.

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 36
after i finally buy a pair of HP-1000's i'll take a look at the headband

I'll put together a gerber accumark cut file for people that want to make a headband themselves..... make a pdf file too for those who dont have a cutter for the gerber files....

i may even be able to offer a custom grado headbands service for a small fee.......... instead of leather you could get patterned fabrics or pile fabrics like velvet

depending on the leather you may or may not have an easy time sewing together your own bands at home .... you'll probably need at least size 16 needles if not 18s or 21s

a home sewing may be able to handle it ...... but an industrial machine would be better........

could even do exotic stuff like short fur headbands if you guys sourced the fabric

Jul 1, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
I'm ticked...they just called and cancelled my order. I wonder if Senn would provide a new headband...they sure helped with better ear pads.

ever thought that they might be keeping a tab on the going-ons at head-fi??

and my ms-2s (sr325 equivalent) came with what is clearly a VINYL headband, and one with utterly cheap built quality at that. glue was leaking out at the seams - i kid you not.

and i've tried the leather headband thing with grado already - they just run circles around you. it's useless.
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
ever thought that they might be keeping a tab on the going-ons at head-fi??

frown.gif

Of course...but why would this be a secret?

I spoke with John Grado today regarding this. He stated there has been some concern regarding "marketing" of their parts for potentially illegitmate reasons. Therefore, he is reluctant to offer this type of service. I understand where he's coming from...but it still sucks when you're looking for a headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back