Grado GS1000i vs Sennheiser HD800
Apr 27, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 40
I kinda like the GS-1000. I remember when they were the FOTM and might pick up a pair when they start dropping below $500.

Still, I've enjoyed the HD-800 much more. Yes, they've had a lot of backlash since they were introduced, but I still like them. If the HD-800 was discontinued (like the K-1000), they'd be hailed as a classic and prices would rise.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 40
I kinda like the GS-1000. I remember when they were the FOTM and might pick up a pair when they start dropping below $500.

Still, I've enjoyed the HD-800 much more. Yes, they've had a lot of backlash since they were introduced, but I still like them. If the HD-800 was discontinued (like the K-1000), they'd be hailed as a classic and prices would rise.

Funny, with the SR325s, the GS1000s are my least liked Grados. I do agree that the HD800s are a much better (and natural ) headphone. :smile:

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 40
Funny, with the SR325s, the GS1000s are my least liked Grados. I do agree that the HD800s are a much better (and natural ) headphone.
smile.gif

More funny, I feel the exact opposite.  Perhaps the HD800 is just "different", not better or more natural.  At least, IMHO.  To each his/her own?

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #19 of 40
As they say, a picture says a thousand words:

The rather strong "U" shape of the GS1000s can appeal to some, no doubt, but in terms of pure performance to "audiophile" standards, it is pretty far from "natural sounding". Have a look at the deep sub bass response as well (along with the mid-bass hump).

Then if we look at the 50Hz square wave response, the GS1000s are far from ideal:

To help better explain this, please have a look through Tyll's new website:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurement-proceedures-frequency-response

The videos that Tyll has are particularly helpful.

Again, I can totally understand how some might prefer the GS1000s (I did not), but they are technically inferior to the HD800s IMO.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 40
I invariably judge headphones by looking at graphs.  It is ideal.

"Again, I can totally understand how some might prefer the GS1000s (I did not), but they are technically inferior to the HD800s IMO."

Thank you for understanding. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 40
I invariably judge headphones by looking at graphs.  It is ideal.

"Again, I can totally understand how some might prefer the GS1000s (I did not), but they are technically inferior to the HD800s IMO."

Thank you for understanding. 

I totally get it. I love the RS1s...they are far from measuring ideal...but man do they ROCK! :L3000:

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 40
The GS1K are special cans with the right amp and the type of music they excel at being pumped through them. For classical music and when amped by the Woo6, I love them.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #23 of 40
I think the attenuation of the human ear is subtle and dynamic. Invariably, it seems, whenever someone plunks down they're hard earned for a certain pair of headphones that person becomes irrational and begins defending a certain brand to the death. Weird huh? I think we become accustomed to anything after awhile. Be it a found dog, a wife, or a pair of headphones. I've tried and love all the high end headphones. Be they Sennheiser hd800's, Audizee LCD's, Grado gs1000i's, and Hifiman 6's. All sound pretty damn good. With the frequency responses of these products it's hard for me to understand what others believe they're hearing. Maybe I'm just a newbie. I'm leaning toward the Grado gs1000i's. Mostly for the aesthetics and the fact that they're made in America. The quest for perfection is great fun. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrariman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a detailed and accurate reproduction the HD800 is better.

It depends on the meaning of word "accurate". For me their shortened decay and soundstage lacking natural perspective feeling is not accurate. The 4 against 5 stars marking is honest. The HD800 are quite correct sounding headphones but it's not a breathtaking experience to listen to them. They have some slight shortcomings which some people don't care for or don't hear, plus this is a FOTM on head-fi now, so talking about the GS1000 or especially PS1000 superiority is pointless. Let the time go by.

And Grado GS1000i are fatiguingly bright on other extreme! to get any sort of nominal bass impact, you have to turn all the way up and bear the burden of its mids and sizzling highs! its a fun sound signature, definitely not accurate! instrument seperation and arcticulation is not comparable to HD 800, On Diana Krall's Devils May Care (live in paris): the brush and residual very high frequency symbal noise of that same crash was all mixed up, even HD 650 can seperate and present two distinct timbre very impressively,
GS 1000i: certainly not capable of long listening sessions like my over night "sleep-on-my-sofa-with-music"

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrariman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a detailed and accurate reproduction the HD800 is better.

It depends on the meaning of word "accurate". For me their shortened decay and soundstage lacking natural perspective feeling is not accurate. The 4 against 5 stars marking is honest. The HD800 are quite correct sounding headphones but it's not a breathtaking experience to listen to them. They have some slight shortcomings which some people don't care for or don't hear, plus this is a FOTM on head-fi now, so talking about the GS1000 or especially PS1000 superiority is pointless. Let the time go by.

And Grado GS1000i are fatiguingly bright on other extreme! to get any sort of nominal bass impact, you have to turn all the way up and bear the burden of its mids and sizzling highs! its a fun sound signature, definitely not accurate! instrument seperation and arcticulation is not comparable to HD 800, On Diana Krall's Devils May Care (live in paris): the brush and residual very high frequency symbal noise of that same crash was all mixed up, even HD 650 can seperate and present two distinct timbre very impressively,
GS 1000i: certainly not capable of long listening sessions like my over night "sleep-on-my-sofa-with-music"

I agree with you about the GS1000i having a fun sound signature.

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #26 of 40
I find it funny when people resort to graphs to show how good their favorite headphones are, and how bad every others are.

I'm into cars, and relying on graphs to juge headphones performance, is the equivalent of relying solely on horsepower and torque power curves to juge a car's performance. Anyone who knows anything about cars will tell you that they're is A LOT more than power curves that come into play to determine a car ultimate performance. 

As i've said before, the day i start listening with my eyes, is when i'll start paying attention to graphs, in the mean time, i'll just trust my ears.
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #27 of 40
I find it funny when people resort to graphs to show how good their favorite headphones are, and how bad every others are.

I'm into cars, and relying on graphs to juge headphones performance, is the equivalent of relying solely on horsepower and torque power curves to juge a car's performance. Anyone who knows anything about cars will tell you that they're is A LOT more than power curves that come into play to determine a car ultimate performance. 

As i've said before, the day i start listening with my eyes, is when i'll start paying attention to graphs, in the mean time, i'll just trust my ears.
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

wink_face.gif

All that analogy doesnt change the fact grado's are fun / thin / not accurate sounding headphones. And yes, btw I am only telling based on my ear, no graph i had seen before this.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #29 of 40
Oups!, sorry for the double post.

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Having said that, I would love to have Sr325i in my inventory some day, Grado are really fun and bright headphones. and there are genres they put on me big smile. but still i am not sure investing in a 1000 $ GS 1000i is a good idea. i would go planer magnetic with that money. For that reason, i would not even go with HD 800, may be LCD 2. HE-500 is also a wonderful option to look into at much lesser $. No doubt HD 800 has more ensightful  / detailed reproduction, though I am not sure I should use the word "accurate". sometimes i even feel HD  800 instrument articulation is too good and insightful to be natural!

God only if i had money for STAX!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back