Grado GS1000 GS-1000 GS1 GS1K [ Official Customer Satisfaction/ Appreciation Thread ]
Jun 5, 2006 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 189

Audiofiler

Headphoneus Supremus
I am really happy with the Grado GS1000 headphones..and have found that the Black Dragon recabled version I prefer VS the stock version.

Spoke with John Grado about this a few Fridays ago, and the GS1 was in fact made and tuned on the RA-1 amp, so it is not a huge surprise that those mate well but use the amp too with an EM custom Tube amplifier, Mcintosh Mc2255 Solid-State, MPX3 Slam SE, and some nice vintage SS's.

I find the note roll-off, imaging capabilities, and comfort to be the best of any Grado.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Why do I feel like this thread will end up being a huge fight like every other GS-1k thread...

I hope it won't, these phones friggin' rock..

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 189
"Why do I feel like this thread will end up being a huge fight like every other GS-1k thread..."

. . . . because, Grados in general bring out the extremes in opinions/passions, Love them, or Hate them.

- augustwest

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 189
I didn't find the RA-1 harsh, I just found it under powered for the GS1000. It actually sounds very nice with them but seems a little slow on some of the drumming parts and a little bit too warm on certain music. It's still very pleasant to listen to the GS1000 with it.

I just got the GS-1 and find this amp is amazing at handling the bass. It is so quick and fast and has so much power for the proper impact. The RA-1 can't compare in this area. It also seems blacker, like I can follow the notes into space. The instruments also seem more defined and have more space around them.

The only problem I seem to have in my setup is too much silibilance using both my amps. I'm hoping this will go away. I tought it might be my DAC but after looking at it, it seems my model is has already been modded for better performance.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 189
So much for the appreciation verbiage so far.
gs1000.gif
Where's Mercuttio? Come get your picture taken Mercuttio.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 189
I believe that you'll find my picture over in the photos thread, wearing them.

Eh, I like them a lot. They're what I was looking for. It probably isn't too tough to find a post with me raving though...

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I believe that you'll find my picture over in the photos thread, wearing them.

Eh, I like them a lot. They're what I was looking for. It probably isn't too tough to find a post with me raving though...

That's cool. Can't wait to hear them myself!

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 189
Since John did tune the GS1000 with the RA-1 in mind, I think I'll give it another listen. Although the GS-1 amp might be technically superior, I do need to give both a fair shot and see which I one I enjoy most. The RA-1 could end up just being more musical. This is what I found with the RA-1 and RS-1 combo vs my PPA amp.

I would hate to have to sell the GS-1 though. I found it made my Ety ER-4 sound better than I even heard them. I actually found out I enjoy the ER-4 more than my ue-10. Sorry for getting off topic.

I'll post back to say which amp won with the GS1000.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Since John did tune the GS1000 with the RA-1 in mind, I think I'll give it another listen. Although the GS-1 amp might be technically superior, I do need to give both a fair shot and see which I one I enjoy most. The RA-1 could end up just being more musical. This is what I found with the RA-1 and RS-1 combo vs my PPA amp.

I would hate to have to sell the GS-1 though. I found it made my Ety ER-4 sound better than I even heard them. I actually found out I enjoy the ER-4 more than my ue-10. Sorry for getting off topic.

I'll post back to say which amp won with the GS1000.

John's also got an extremely killer Melos setup. I think that probably played a part in the tuning too...

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 189
Quote:

John's also got an extremely killer Melos setup. I think that probably played a part in the tuning too...

Where do I go about getting one of these Melos setups? My little bit of research in the past led me to believe they are no longer made.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 189
Quote:

Where do I go about getting one of these Melos setups? My little bit of research in the past led me to believe they are no longer made.

They ain't. But, if you check out the amps forum they go from time to time, and you can always get lucky on ebay or craigslist. I remember seeing one for around $600 on the FS/FT forum recently, I think?

That said, I don't know much about the various models.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #13 of 189
Quote:

They ain't. But, if you check out the amps forum they go from time to time, and you can always get lucky on ebay or craigslist. I remember seeing one for around $600 on the FS/FT forum recently, I think?

That said, I don't know much about the various models.

Seems old that if John tunes these by ear, he should use more available equipment so people can achive the same sonic results.

Anyway, I think both my amps work. I'll actually be suprised if I prefer the RA-1 more. I didn't sell it right away just because I knew synergy can be more important than parts.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 189
Quote:

Seems old that if John tunes these by ear, he should use more available equipment so people can achive the same sonic results.

Anyway, I think both my amps work. I'll actually be suprised if I prefer the RA-1 more. I didn't sell it right away just because I knew synergy can be more important than parts.

Hey, just curious... isn't there a new higher gain version of the RA1 now? Maybe that would feed it a little better?

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 189
Quote:

Hey, just curious... isn't there a new higher gain version of the RA1 now? Maybe that would feed it a little better?

It's not a gain issue because I only need to go to around the 1 o'clock mark at the highest. It just doesn't have power to feed the bass to it's fullest at a normal listening level. It's nice and all but has trouble keeping up with anything that has a lot of bass or needs very quick drums.

Gain will just give you more control over the volume so it won't maxed out when using something like the hd650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back