Grado GS1000 GS-1000 GS1 GS1K [ Official Customer Satisfaction/ Appreciation Thread ]
Jun 6, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #31 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing111
By the way, did anyone who owns both GS-1000 and RS-1 tried to do comparisons by using the GS-1000 pads on the RS-1? I would expect the soundstage of the RS-1 to be larger and the bass maybe more important.

Is the difference between the two headphones actually that big when you use the same pads on both (wether it is flats or bowls, or the GS-1000 pads)?

Knowing different pads can have such a large influence on the sound of grados, I think we should compare them at the same level, therefore with the same pads.

There has been a lot of discussion on this before.

If you think about the swap for an RS1 between a flat and a bowl: the bowl reduces the bass and enhances the soundstage.

The GS1000 "bagels" destroy the RS1's midrange and bass. It's all upper register, and does not sound good. Flats on a GS1000 make it a bassasaurus rex.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #32 of 189
I edited my reply, and moved it to the GS1k's have just arrived thread... can anyone suggest if they are at the shops yet. See my post, my supplier has gone quiet!

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #33 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAP7
I edited my reply, and moved it to the GS1k's have just arrived thread... can anyone suggest if they are at the shops yet. See my post, my supplier has gone quiet!

Was yours a US retailer, selling the phones abroad?

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #34 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
There has been a lot of discussion on this before.

If you think about the swap for an RS1 between a flat and a bowl: the bowl reduces the bass and enhances the soundstage.

The GS1000 "bagels" destroy the RS1's midrange and bass. It's all upper register, and does not sound good. Flats on a GS1000 make it a bassasaurus rex.

I'm sure the difference between bowls and flats have been largely discussed before. But even with the search option, I couldn't find any specific comment about the sound of an RS-1 with GS-1000 pads, which is why I asked.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, I didn't think this combination would sound bad. I may still try those pads with the RS-1 once they're available seperately though (at least they look comfortable).

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #35 of 189
Quote:

I'm sure the difference between bowls and flats have been largely discussed before. But even with the search option, I couldn't find any specific comment about the sound of an RS-1 with GS-1000 pads, which is why I asked.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, I didn't think this combination would sound bad. I may still try those pads with the RS-1 once they're available seperately though (at least they look comfortable).

Yup, just about the first thing I did at the national meet after hearing the GS1000 was yanking off the pads and trying them on the RS1. It did not work, and pretty much ruined the sound of the RS1. The RS1 is tuned to be upfront... and this took that away, effectively neutering them in addition to taking away the entire bottom half of the sound spectrum.

They're very comfortable, and you can buy them separately for $50 a set at TTVJ soon. Buy at your own risk though, he won't accept returns on them and he will also probably reccomend that you don't use them on any other Grado 'phone.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #36 of 189
Quote:

I'm sure the difference between bowls and flats have been largely discussed before. I couldn't find any specific comment about the sound of an RS-1 with GS-1000 pads, which is why I asked.

I didn't think this combination would sound bad. I may still try those pads with the RS-1 once they're available seperately though (at least they look comfortable).

Have you heard the GS1's? As for your question...
Mercut and Z have already addressed the idea of utilizing the Bagel Pads on other Grado Cans in various threads..

Did anyone WITH a pair of GS1's notice that these cans seal more than other Grado cans, in particular while listening? Or is that just me ignoring people more
smily_headphones1.gif

edit length

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #38 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Did anyone WITH a pair of GS1's notice that these cans seal more than other Grado cans, in particular while listening? Or is that just me ignoring people more
smily_headphones1.gif

edit for my terrible spelling

Hmm. Actually, I think they're the most open headphones I've owned thus far... it might just be you ignoring people! I guess I can see which leaks more tonight between my SR60 and those though... the GS definitely lets in a lot of sound though.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #39 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
On a side note:

The first GS1k went on resale 06/06/06 (correct me if i am wrong).
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Yes,
..Nik got the first pair overseas, but did not care for them..instead of returning, he sold to a German Seller, whom eBayed them and made a craphole of extra money??

Would be keen to get some actual impressions from those that have spent some time with these..

Quote:

Hmm. Actually, I think they're the most open headphones I've owned thus far... it might just be you ignoring people! I guess I can see which leaks more tonight between my SR60 and those though... the GS definitely lets in a lot of sound though.

I think the GS1's are open yes, but either the GS1's produce a larger stereo image and headstage..and even at the same volume level as the RS-1's .
GS1000s are astounding for movies or music when people are home (neighbors, dogs barking, etc) they seem to "seal in the magic" more in my experience..

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #40 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909

If someone started a thread that only limited responses in the negative about any product on Head-Fi someone somewhere you provide their opinion in the contrary. I bet the majority of the posters in this thread would put in their two cents and the same response as you just gave could be given to them under the opposite circumstance.

where this is true, people generally (myself included) try not to post off topic in threads like this, because there are already too many of the types of threads that go back and forth with argumentation and proper debate, and wow those are great
plainface.gif

However, I was trying to concentrate comments, positive feedback, and intended utilization for the members that pre-ordered and kept their pair so that there was a thread with reference information therein. Everyones elses comments in this thread seem off topic and out of place, seeing is how the name of the thread is Cust Appreciation...and all. Half the comments are from people not reading the entire thread, or caring to..just dropping their 2cents everywhere they can...and most of whom I am referring to, at least in this thread, do not even seem to own the darn cans to begin with, their feedback seems more like shots in the dark and "other topic" starters, rather that an individual speaking on these cans or their performance because he/she owns them...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909

Yes, the GS-1000s are very sensitive and very revealing. When I listened to Take Five I could hear a consistent hiss in the background, which wasn’t as easily noticeable (if not at all) on the K701s and HD650s. And the source was Tyll’s Wadia and HeadRoom Max balanced amp.

Sweet!! An on topic post, yes the GS1's are super-duper sensitive...909, with your avy, I am hardpressed to think that you have not noticed the extra static/hiss in Abbey Road MFSL half speed mastered LP....do you have something similar to this version on hand? If you do, play that Beatles CD again, there are dozens of examples of the "magic between the hiss" including pops, extra hiss, and other audible noises in this Beatles CD, that made me positive of this fact too..
In fact, Abbey Rd was the first material the GS1's ate up, pre burn in, and post burn in...I was flabbergasted how sensitive the GS1's were in relation to my gear and material....and could make out interaction between components.
In other words, the difference in sound when applying/removing the DAC was considerable, as well as the source transport..

neat stuff, anybody else??
By the way, I like the GS1000 smiley, but it kind of scares me, if there sis somwone that is good at that type of stuff, maybe create one with the smile that the K1000 smiley has...but the the GS1's on him...

I think this was mentioned in another thread, but seems like a cool idea, I like the current one too word up I love the cans
gs1000.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #41 of 189
I just wanted to say I learned how much positions does make a difference. I was hearing people say this but didn't hear it myself unless I really moved them around and muffled the sound or made it sound like it was coming from behind.

Yesterday, I tried moving them a little forward where they generally sounded the same at first but then the soundstage really came alive. I forgot what song I was listening to, but it sounded much different that I remember it on the RS-1 or any other headphone for that matter. The three dimensional space was amazing and sounded more realistic than I've ever heard. I then played a live recording of a punk band "not the best recording" but it sounded so realistic and brought back the feeling of seeing my first small crowded bar show. I could almost feel the people trying push me into the mosh pit.

Anyway, play with the positioning. I find these headphone sound amazing with all genres.

Edit: On last thing regarding hiss or sensitivity. With the GS-1, they are as black as possible. Nothing other the music itself comes through no matter what volume you are at. It really is amazing. The RA-1 is quiet but somehow doesn't seem anywhere as black as the GS-1.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #42 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I just wanted to say I learned how much positions does make a difference.
Anyway, play with the positioning. I find these headphone sound amazing with all genres.

I noticed this too, the Grado sound varies with ear placement on this circumnaural design too.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #43 of 189
I forgot to mention that the silibance totally disappeared when I found the right spot. If you place them right in the middle, you'll get a brighter sound. This were I used to have them just because it seemed to make sense. If you move them a little forward, the sounds smooths just a bit. If you push too forward, then you do get that mufflled sound. Push them to that point and then slide them back just until they sound clears up. Somewhere in that spot is where the soundstage really opens up.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I forgot to mention that the silibance totally disappeared when I found the right spot. If you place them right in the middle, you'll get a brighter sound. This were I used to have them just because it seemed to make sense. If you move them a little forward, the sounds smooths just a bit. If you push too forward, then you do get that mufflled sound. Push them to that point and then slide them back just until they sound clears up. Somewhere in that spot is where the soundstage really opens up.

Nice feedback

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #45 of 189
Quote:

Hmm. ..it might just be you ignoring people!

That is too funny...probably more true than I know, huh? !
smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back