Grado GS1000 GS-1000 GS1 GS1K [ Official Customer Satisfaction/ Appreciation Thread ]
Jun 7, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #76 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Oh ok
Has anyone noticed differences after 150 hours. I have that on mine and really have noticed only small differences since the first 100 hours or so.

I noticed a difference after about 125 hours..the cans, like most other Grado's seem to calm down and tighten focus to the entire FR as time progresses

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #77 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Oh ok - I don't know why I even ask since I'd have to swap my whole system out to go balanced. I guess I was just curious.

Has anyone noticed differences after 150 hours. I have that on mine and really have noticed only small differences since the first 100 hours or so. The biggest differences came after the first 5 hours or so.

Sorry, I haven't kept count of how long I've been burning my in. Also I noticed a dramatic difference when I swapped out the RA-1 for the GS-1, so I no longer have a reference.

What I remember in the beginning was the bass had no texture and the highs had no sparkle, both of which they have now. I still liked them from the start.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #79 of 189
Audiofiler,

I noticed mostly the same thing about the bass and midrange. Honestly, I was worried at first. If the bass didn't improve, then these would have gone back, but now it's as tight as can be.

Unfortunately, like rshdhead, I changed amps to the Gilmore Lite. So, everything tightened up anyway. I really have lost my reference point, so I appreciate your description.

I'll keep them burning in, but they seem to be good to go right now. Any further improvements will just be a bonus.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #80 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
What is balanced version ? It is balanced input instead of RCA connectors.

I don't know too much about balanced headphones but here's an RS-1 from Moon-Audio that has a balanced cord. They are offering the GS1000 with a balanced cord that is installed at Grado Labs. Todd is also offering a balanced cable option too.

BlackRS-1.jpg

Edit: I do know that you need a balance amp and source. So I would have to upgrade to something like the Headamp GS-X amp and a new balanced DAC. I'm not that dedicated, nor do I have that kind of money.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #81 of 189
I'm not, and DONT have that money.
But just a quick question (off topic, but needs a few lins) what does balancing give you?

Much more?? Subtle, or significant, and how. In brief!!!

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #82 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAP7
But just a quick question (off topic, but needs a few lins) what does balancing give you?

This is probably something that needs to be searched outside of this thread. I've just read that it can take the RS-1's to a whole other level with more seperation and whatever else. So it might have a bigger improvement on a headphone that's already capable of producing a good soundstage. This is all speculation though. I've been satisfied well enough in my non-balanced setup that I couldn't even consider it as an option. Buying the GS1000 alone is crazy enough for me.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #83 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAP7

There will be those who say balancing transforms headphones. I don't buy it. It does improve the sound. I've heard lots of balanced setups through speakers and a few A/B with headphones. It improves but considering the cost of balanced IC's, balanced source, balanced amp, balanced headphone cable, the relatively small improvement may not be worth it to some.

To those that would say the 650 or RS-1 is transformed by going balanced, then that would mean they are mediocre and have lots of room for improvement. To me they sound damn good unbalanced with only marginal room for improvement.

To me, vibration control, power conditioning, and IC upgrades will make a bigger impact at a smaller price.

K this is getting off topic, so I don't want to discuss anymore.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #84 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
I don't know too much about balanced headphones but here's an RS-1 from Moon-Audio that has a balanced cord. They are offering the GS1000 with a balanced cord that is installed at Grado Labs. Todd is also offering a balanced cable option too.

BlackRS-1.jpg

Edit: I do know that you need a balance amp and source. So I would have to upgrade to something like the Headamp GS-X amp and a new balanced DAC. I'm not that dedicated, nor do I have that kind of money.

Edit: I do know that you need a balance amp and source. So I would have to upgrade to something like the Headamp GS-X amp and a new balanced DAC. I'm not that dedicated, nor do I have that kind of money.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is what I guessed. I have played balanced cable from time to time. It has additional signal wire, called cold. At the header of the cable, it inverts the original signal, called hot, by 180 degree before trasmitted. Doing so, any noise added to the transmittion lines before reach their destination which is PH will be cancelled. And then at the other end, it inverts the cold line signal back to the same phase as original, hot, and then adds them together. So the signal strength will become twice as strong as orignal and all the noises are cancelled. That said, the balanced cable will minimize the noise if you can hear noise and suspect it is from cable. Otherwise, dont use that because 1. The signal inverting must be perfect 180 degree and then signals addition must be perfect as well. Otherwise, your PH will get somewhat distorted signals. Of course, your ears may not be able to tell with minor distortion. But why bother. So no signal quatity improvement and potential distortion. 2. You need amp with balanced output. 3. good balanced cables are twice as expensive at least as good non balanced ones.

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #85 of 189
I guess as for as the balanced discussion, we should just leave it until people start getting their balanced GS1000 and can compare it to the standard version.

Nov 2, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #87 of 189
I just wanted to revive this old thread because I am becoming more and more partial to my GS1000. I think they are absolutely fantastic headphones. It is often criticised because it is not an upgrade from the RS-1. I don't think thats a fair comparison. That's like comparing a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti(GS1000) to a F430(RS-1) when the F430's proper upgrade in the lineup is probably the Enzo(PS-1). You've got to appreciate them as it is. IMO the GS1000 belongs to the Senn, AKG camp. Or maybe somewhere in between those and the typical Grado.

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #88 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I just wanted to revive this old thread because I am becoming more and more partial to my GS1000. I think they are absolutely fantastic headphones. It is often criticised because it is not an upgrade from the RS-1. I don't think thats a fair comparison. That's like comparing a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti(GS1000) to a F430(RS-1) when the F430's proper upgrade in the lineup is probably the Enzo(PS-1). You've got to appreciate them as it is. IMO the GS1000 belongs to the Senn, AKG camp. Or maybe somewhere in between those and the typical Grado.

I agree completely! I like mine more and more. The RS-1 after months of comparison just doesn't do it for me next to the GS-1000. Without the comparison, the RS-1 sounds great to me... strange, but I do love the GS-1000 and feel maybe breakin is still happening but can't say for sure. Maybe I'm just getting more and more used to the sound.

I went through that same period with the RS-1 where it took me awhile to get used to it.

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #89 of 189
Just recieved my old/new RSA HR-2 that I purchased from MarkL. I've got to say that thins thing sounds magical with my GS1000. I'll need more time to clear my thoughts to give an accurate impression because so far all I am thinking is "OMGWTF this sounds amazing!!

Since I purchased my GS1000, a little dot 2+ served as a temporary amp so the jump in SQ is very noticable. Even more so because this SS HR-2 sounds tubier than the little dot!

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #90 of 189
Sorry to Bump a dead thread, but i figured this was the best thread for what I am about to say.

Quote:

Amplifier: Zana Deux
Sources: CI Audio VDA-2/VAC-1
Interconnects: UR8
Other Headphones: Sennheiser HD650, AKG 701, Grado 325i, Grado RS1, AKG K1000
Music: Paco De Lucia "Siroco", Vienna Teng "Dreaming Through the noise," Miles Davis "Miles Davis in Person," "Ella and Louis" by Louis Armstrong, Norah Jones "Come Away with me," Decemberist "Crane Wife," Chihiro Onitsuka "Insomnia," Ray Charles "Ray!" and classical (too much to list).
· Why am I writing this
○ I originally didn't care to write about the GS1000. But now that it is gone (I couldn't afford to keep it), I feel that I can sing it's praises without looking self-serving.
○ And this headphone needs it, the bad press about this headphone is saddening to all of us who know how good it actually is. Seriously, don't match this with some pathetic hornet or little mapletree, they don’t have the power and control that the GS1000 demands.
○ Was my system appropriate? In fact, it wasn't. While I do believe my amp (The zana Deux) was up to par, the source I was using doesn't have the type of mid range that the GS1000 can bring out (if given a chance). For a while I thought the midrange on the GS1000 was hopeless, and started using EQ (see the EQ thread) until two things happened. I listened to Filbert's CDP and the Stello DP200… both of these sources had the type of midrange that would work perfectly with the GS1000.
· Looks and Feel
○ I wouldn't normally talk about this, in fact I consider myself a Sound quality-first kind of person. If it doesn't fit something is bothering me there are plenty of ways to fix it. So why would I converse about such a useless topic? Because the GS1000 actually excels in these categories.
○ Two reviews I've read so far talk about the fit and comfort as an issue, and when I first heard them they were an issue. These things made my head hurt, like physically hurt! Annoyed, I took them back to their owner (yellafella321). Several months later mine arrived. After lending it to Humanflyz for a week I got it back and hated it, I seriously did. Why? Well, all of the pressure was forced on one spot on the head, and I had to continually adjust the pads just to keep them on. Things then changed.
○ I had Dada come over and take pictures of my set up with them, and afterwards he took them home for a week. During that time someone on the forum noted how stretched out the head-bad looked, and when I got it back it was fixed (thanks Dada!). Suddenly the pressure was gone, the fit was comfortable and it wouldn't come off my head. In fact, I actually wore it for 6 hours straight on Friday and didn't feel a thing afterwards or during the session, which is more than what I can say about the HD650.
○ The feel of it isn't awe inspiring. In fact, it fits on my head better than it fits in my hands. While the HD650 inspires confidence, the GS1000 is a little goofy looking. However, I've come to believe it's a good thing. Simply put, the headphones relative lightness is wonderful for listening to long concerts and forgetting the headphone's presence on my head, it really is. I tried the 325i at Kitaoji's place, and it felt far heavier and more imposing on my head than the GS1000.
· How does it sound?
○ It has a sound of it's own. I've heard some magazine people describe it as the most neutral and revealing musical experience they have ever heard, and I don't doubt that claim. However, just because something is hyper revealing doesn't mean that it is inherently neutral or that it is the epitome of all that is musical. Musicality and detail are two different things, so are neutrality and detail.
My biggest problem with the GS1000 is that it is not euphonic or musical. Now that may come as a surprise to many people, and I'll tell you what I mean by this statement.
§ The GS1000 delivers music in a matter-of-fact manner. There is nothing warm, romantic, or beautiful about it's presentation. Someone previously told me that the GS1000 sounds like the human ear made it while the HD650 sounds like a computer had made it. Honestly, for me it sounds the other way around. Take Dvorak's Cello Concerto for example, with the first sweep of the strings I feel in love with the beautiful music that I was hearing from the HD650, while with the GS1000 I heard every instrument and understood where they were coming from, but didn't feel the same type of beauty that was there with the Sennheiser.
§ Voices are just not as enticing with the GS1000. I admit, to having a strong disposition towards warm voices. In fact, the reason why I first rejected the RS-1 was because Ray Charles's voice sounded so lifeless on them. Well, while there is nothing wrong with the, the GS1000 just doesn't sound as real as the HD650 with human voices. (Armstrong/Fitzgerald, Vienna Teng, Jewel, Norah Jones and such).
My second complaint about the GS1000 is the strength of the center voice. While Filbert's source really did help this problem quite a bit, it didn't fix it entirely. RS1 owners point to this as the reason why they don’t' like it. And, to a certain extent I agree with them. There is no "live" or upfront possible with the GS1000, everything is a bit further away. The authority that speaks through the guitars and singers just doesn't have the same impact and intimacy that it does on the RS-1 or the GS650.
RS1 with Flat-pads v. GS1000 beagle pads
§ I really tried to give this a good listen. Then I came to a conclusion: the GS1000 is about as much a Grado as it is an un-grado A week ago, when I tried it next to the 325i, I immediately came to the conclusion that the GS1000 shared the same sound sig as the 325i, the same bass, the same neutrality. Yet, when I heard the RS-1 I learned why so many love it and so many hate it.
§ The RS-1 is sweat, warm, midrange centric, and not at all a "neutral" character. The RS-1 is a clear example of harmoic distortion in order to make something sound better than it actually is. While I admit to loving tube amps, I'm not an MPX lover, and the RS-1 was a little too much for me. the HD650 is also a bit too much, but tolerable. The other thing I want to say about the RS-1 is that the argument that it sounds like being in the first row is bull, the RS-1 sounds exactly like what it is, two transducers 1/4 inch away from the skull.
§ Overall, I clearly like the GS1000 better. The actual bass extension and treble extension is far better on the GS1000 than on the RS-1, in fact the RS-1 sounded somewhat limited to me. Secondly, the GS1000 sounds better with the guitar than the RS-1… simply put, real guitars don't have the type of heft and treble that the RS-1 portrays. The GS1000 displays the strength, delicacy and tone of guitars far better than the RS-1, simple as that. (I used Paco De Lucia's Siroco CD for this, I heard his last concert live 1 month ago).
I Clearly love the detail and resolution of the GS1000
§ Only Two other headphones have given me the same type of clarity and veil-less experience, they are the Sennheiser HE90 and the AKG K1000. that's some good company to keep. I simply didn't realize how veiled and distorted the HD650 is until I heard the GS1000, it really does sound "neutral" to me. I tried the comparison on a CD of the Cal Marching Band. The GS1000 actually sounded like the band I hear at every football game; I could tell where and how far away every section was, I could hear the micro details and know the size of the stage. On the HD650, it was simply a large mess.
§ The richness of classical CDs was simply unknown to me before the GS1000, there are so many things that the HD650 hides. Take for example Dvorak's 9th symphony, with the GS1000 the air within the orchestra and the intent of what they are doing is clearly visible.
The GS1000's soundstage is unmatched by anything I have heard so far from normal Dynamic headphones. It's large, wide, layered, airy, and extremely precise. So far, only Electrostatic and the K1000 have impressed me with better soundstages, again, it's good company to keep.
The overall neutrality of the GS1000 is it's best attribute. While I do not claim that the GS1000 is entirely neutral, I do think that it gets closer than any other dynamic headphone I have ever heard. In fact, I would almost call it a dynamic can with electrostatic features and a big bass. Honestly, this is what allows the GS1000 to sound so good in so many different Genre's. From Mahler to the Beatles, I simply have never heard a headphone that sounded so precise and "correct" with so many pieces of music.
The GS1000's bass is a wonder of nature. No, it really is. Let met get this straight, it has an enormous bass, and I mean enormous! The boominess and volume are sometimes overbearing when it is there. But that's the key, "when it is there." unlike the HD650 or other cans, the GS1000's bass doesn't disturb the lower midrange, midrange or treble. It doesn't cover or reverberate to veil anything, it is there when it is needed and otherwise gets out of the way of the music, thus preserving the purity of the experience. beyond it's isolated nature, it is a deep, defined and power portrayal of bass, and something I have never experienced before from headphones.

· Conclusion

○ The GS1000 is probably the only Grado that sounds better with classical than with pop or rock music. But this statement should not make you think that the GS1000 can't do rock, it can, but not as well as it can do large orchestral works. The GS1000's ability to take music apart to its various components, reveal the micro details in recordings, and overall balance make it best for music that can be appreciated from far away, thus it is inappropriate for a small rock-band sound, although it is spectacular with Jazz.
○ Humanflyz once mentioned an Esoteric dac that is so detailed and analytical that it sucks the life out of the music. While I won't go that far, I will say that the GS1000 is clearly on the analytical and detailed side of the musical coin… so if you are someone who enjoys the musical distortion of the ATH/RS-1 products, I can understand why so many would hate the GS1000. On the other hand, as a fan of AKG and Sennheiser, I can't but be impressed by the GS1000's remarkable abilities. When it first came out Jude said that he expected it to be the new reference for the Grado crowd, but was surprised that it became his personal reference despite his love for the HD600. That's how I fell about the GS1000, as an HD650 lover, I never expected it to work out the way it has.
○ I asked Dada to hear it, and after about 45 seconds he said "I've concluded that these suck." I loaned it to him, and he came back with the same conclusion a week later. And that's exactly what my first reaction was. When Yellafella loaned it to me 6 months ago I concluded in about 4 hours that it was a piece of junk, but left open the possibility in case I ever get an equalizer. I admit, that this time I did use equalizer during most of the GS1000's tenure in my system, and I don't regret it. While purist may scoff at my practice, I think I chose a good time to use equalizer for the first time… I brought the mid-range up and it changed the can entirely. I could imagine that with a source like Filbert's DIY dac or the Stello it wouldn't have been necessary (and it wasn't) but for my rig it was. If I could give Mr. Grado a message, it would be to bring out the mids.

cimg0783oj4.jpg

cimg0865ie6.jpg

cimg0877zb0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back