Grado GS-2000e
May 7, 2016 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

thinker

500+ Head-Fier
The new Grado GS-2000e

Heard them today for about 15 minutes and they were excellent.Quite balanced with slightly more air and 3D imaging than previous 1000 models. The appearance is similar to GS-1000e instead lettering is now GS-2000e
These are definitey on my shopping list

May 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 114
Got any more information?

There were several GS-2000e at the Munich show ,Grado presented them here for the first time.In short it has the airiness from original GS-1000,dynamics and meatyness from GS-1000e and they were neutral and musical i liked them very much.Not sure if i remember the right pricetag i guess it was around 1600 euros.

May 11, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 114
Got any more information?

There is more information in the Grado Fan Club thread.

GS2000e available for $1395 from Gradolabs.com, Todd The Vinyl Junkie (TTVJaudio.com), and the Grado on line store 4ourears.com.

You can also get a 4-pin XLR cable for $170.

Here is a bit more:

From TTVJ:

The preeminent luthiers, Stradivarius and Guarnerius used a combination of woods to craft violins and cellos that have become legendary and well as priceless.  This tradition of using different woods is found in the crafting of many wood bodied musical instruments, such as guitars and pianos, made today.

With the unique experience that John Grado has in designing and manufacturing headphones with wood, the GS2000e becomes possible.

The GS2000e is a hybrid wood enclosure.  The outer enclosure is crafted from Mahogany.  The inner enclosure is crafted from Maple.  A new purpose built 50 mm driver was developed for the GS2000e. This driver is based upon the improvements designed into the “e” series drivers.

This powerful combination of design considerations results in a headphone of sheer musical ability and a full frequency voice that will delight the most demanding music aficionados.

A 4 pin XLR balance cable option is available for an additional $170!

Note the lack of protrusion of the 50 mm driver above the wood edge! Wooden it be mind-blowing if they also had burned them in for at least 300 hours prior to sale!?  Those 50 mm drivers in the RS1e, PS1000e, and GS1000e REALLY benefit from burn-in.

Comparison of same pair of GS1000e over 13 months, over 250 hrs of use, to the Joseph Grado HP1000 (higher numbers are better... full comparison here ).

May 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 114
yep. it's a bit silly likening transducers to musical instruments but this isn't the first time and it probably won't be the last. :wink:

May 12, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 114
am wondering if this phone will better the PS1000e (which I believe is much heavier); this appears to be
an up to date, perfected GS1000....I don't know but am guessing a better volume and solidity of low bass, while
preserving all of the qualities that make us GS'rs totally devoted to our phones! Amazing soundstage and imaging specificity,
air, excellent, natural/organic detail, air, natural solidity....properly setup, any of the GS's are captivating and keepers!

(hope the 2000e lives up to the expectation!)

.....nice to see an XLR balanced option; still I'd love to see Grado give a detachable cable option and be done with it;
obviously it would involve somewhat reworking the design and additional time and expense on their part.

May 12, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 114
I ventured into Grado territory a few month ago, looking for an alternative to my HD800. I got a used GS1000e and as much as I tried to like it (super comfortable, light weight, very transparent sound) it obviously lacked bass and that is in comparison to said HD800. I sold the GS1000 pretty quickly, small loss only but I am not trying any Grado soon. Unless that lack of bass could have possibly been a defect but then exactly the same in both drivers, not likely...

May 12, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 114
different model but the ps1000 isn't lacking in bass (mid-bass rather than sub-bass that is). it is a much heavier can tho.

May 13, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 114
Driving Grado from same amp you may drive HD800 can be an issue, thats what I have, while my amp is best I tried so far for HD800, it does nothing special, or at all, for GS1000. Best combination I tried with GS1000 was EAR HP4.

Quote:
  I ventured into Grado territory a few month ago, looking for an alternative to my HD800. I got a used GS1000e and as much as I tried to like it (super comfortable, light weight, very transparent sound) it obviously lacked bass and that is in comparison to said HD800. I sold the GS1000 pretty quickly, small loss only but I am not trying any Grado soon. Unless that lack of bass could have possibly been a defect but then exactly the same in both drivers, not likely...

May 13, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 114
Just pulled the trigger on the GS2000e!!! I own the RS1i (for now as I am selling it) so we'll see how those two compare. I have only heard the PS1000i and GS1000i briefly so I hope I can discern an appreciable difference. I must admit that I will be pitting the Campfire Audio's flagship iem the Andromeda against the GS2000e!!! I really love mid forward RS1i so I hope find a more neutral/reference sound signature with the GS2000e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back