Grado GS-1000i vs. Audez'e LCD-2? Or something else entirely?
Dec 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rushupedge

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking at headphones under $1000 right now. I currently own a pair of AKG K240s and a pair of K271s, but find that they are both a little cold and recessed for my tastes. The 271s are good for classical and the like, but not much else, and the K240s have a just adequate bass response, but nothing special in the mids or highs. I listen to a huge variety of music, from jazz to IDM to classical to dubstep to folk to electro to Finnish GameBoy electronica (seriously.) I'm looking for a more romantic listening experience; I don't care about neutrality, I just want what sounds good. I had an opportunity to try out the Grado RS1s, and was impressed with the "Grado sound," but was a bit worried that the highs might be fatiguing, and found the bass inadequate. The GS-1000is are supposed to have more bass, however. I've also been reading about the Audez'e LCD-2, which have been getting rave reviews just about everywhere, but I'm worried that they might sound cold as well. I'm really just looking for input on which direction to go in at this point.

Any other suggestions in my price range are also welcome. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 25
It looks like you should get two headphones because I don't think only one headphone will accomplish everything you want. Where are you located? I'd recommend attending a meet (or at least finding nearby Head-Fi members) to try out different headphones.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
So I'm looking at headphones under $1000 right now. I currently own a pair of AKG K240s and a pair of K271s, but find that they are both a little cold and recessed for my tastes. The 271s are good for classical and the like, but not much else, and the K240s have a just adequate bass response, but nothing special in the mids or highs. I listen to a huge variety of music, from jazz to IDM to classical to dubstep to folk to electro to Finnish GameBoy electronica (seriously.) I'm looking for a more romantic listening experience; I don't care about neutrality, I just want what sounds good. I had an opportunity to try out the Grado RS1s, and was impressed with the "Grado sound," but was a bit worried that the highs might be fatiguing, and found the bass inadequate. The GS-1000is are supposed to have more bass, however. I've also been reading about the Audez'e LCD-2, which have been getting rave reviews just about everywhere, but I'm worried that they might sound cold as well. I'm really just looking for input on which direction to go in at this point.

Any other suggestions in my price range are also welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to Head-fi...and looking at your budget, I won't have to apologize to your wallet. Quite the starting point.

FWIW, the LCD-2s have more/better/deeper/controlled/impactful and realistic bass (mids and treble for that matter). There is nothing that the GS1000s can do that can compare to the LCD-2s IMHO. They are my favourite headphone to date.
smile.gif
For classical, I do also really enjoy the HD800s and T1s. Before you drop the mother load on headphones, I'm with Asr, are there any stores or local meets you can try some of this gear out first?

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm from near Boston but I go to college in Ohio. The one store I found in Boston had RS1s but no GS-1000is and certainly no LCD-2s. It seems like the LCD-2s aim at absolute flatness though...does that lend to a cold, "neutral" feel? If the GS-1000is are more "romantic" then I'd rather go with them, and that's what the frequency response graphs seem to suggest.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
I'm from near Boston but I go to college in Ohio. The one store I found in Boston had RS1s but no GS-1000is and certainly no LCD-2s. It seems like the LCD-2s aim at absolute flatness though...does that lend to a cold, "neutral" feel? If the GS-1000is are more "romantic" then I'd rather go with them, and that's what the frequency response graphs seem to suggest.

LoL...nothing "cold" about the LCD-2s. Really changes you're perspective on what neutral should sound like...and cold, sterile with weak bass are the LAST 3 words one would use to describe them. I would start here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 25
I can't speak to the LCD-2 in specific, but I have the HE-5 which I think many consider to be a very similar headphone. 

As far as musicality, or as you put it "a romantic listening experience" goes, the GS1000 takes the cake without contest. The HE-5s are the better headphone in terms of resolution and neutrality, but there is something intoxicating about the Grado's colored sound. I almost feel a little guilty listening to the GS1000, like I am changing the music or something. I've never heard another headphone more involving.

So again, take this with a grain of salt because the LCD-2s are obviously a different headphone, but just my 2 cents.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
I can't speak to the LCD-2 in specific, but I have the HE-5 which I think many consider to be a very similar headphone. 

As far as musicality, or as you put it "a romantic listening experience" goes, the GS1000 takes the cake without contest. The HE-5s are the better headphone in terms of resolution and neutrality, but there is something intoxicating about the Grado's colored sound. I almost feel a little guilty listening to the GS1000, like I am changing the music or something. I've never heard another headphone more involving.

So again, take this with a grain of salt because the LCD-2s are obviously a different headphone, but just my 2 cents.

Yeah...huge grains of salt....the HE-5s are nothing like the LCD-2s
smile.gif
. For a romantic experience, the LCD-2s are still the best I've heard (and still manage to be very neutral. Quite the accomplishment. Just my 2 cents...

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
It looks like you should get two headphones because I don't think only one headphone will accomplish everything you want. Where are you located? I'd recommend attending a meet (or at least finding nearby Head-Fi members) to try out different headphones.

LCD-2 and a HE-6 should cover it.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

LCD-2 and a HE-6 should cover it.

Could I have a pony too?

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 25
Both GS-1000 and T1 are more leaning to neutrality and accuracy....
Under my current setup (fit for GS-1000), I can say T1 is on par with GS-1000 while HD800 is underwhelmed..
Under some other setup which claims to fit T1 or HD800 better, I still prefer T1 over HD800.  (those setups won't fit GS-1000)
I just cannot justify the cost of rebuilding the whole system.

Quote:
Can anyone compare the GS-1000s to the beyerdynamic Tesla T1? Again, I'm not looking for neutrality or accuracy so much as a fun, romantic listening experience.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 25
Dec 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 25
For your requirements I can wholeheartedly recommend the RS1... well, except for classical music. With any other genre, it's one of the most engaging and fun headphones out there. For $1000, you should be able to get a used one and a nice tube amp. You can still get the LCD-2 or another phone later as an addition.

If you should decide to get an RS1 I'd recommend to look into a "vintage" one as they sound slightly softer and warmer than the newer RS1i. There's absolutely no harsh treble on my (rather old) RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back